AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in an article that a 50" Plasma uses almost double the power / electricity then a 50" LCD.

How true is this? I hear that California and UK wants to band plasma's due to this. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift /forum/post/17015076

I read in an article that a 50" Plasma uses almost double the power / electricity then a 50" LCD.

How true is this? I hear that California and UK wants to band plasma's due to this. Any thoughts?

It's not true.

Where did you read this, and where did you here this, in the LCD forum?

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:

That has to be lies California's governor is Arnold and he wants to exhaust all supplies of every resource he drives a hummer and he's a terminator that needs energy. UK I'm unfamiliar with there policy.
We need a link to your source of information.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Global warning? Plasmas aren't a pandemic....and while the California and UK bans may have a sliver of truth to them...the 50" plasma using twice as much power as a 50" lcd is false.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i think every one knows plasmas use more power. No need for a 'global warning'. I wouldn't doubt that a 50" plasma can use double the electricity than a 50" lcd. Watching cartoons on a 50" plasma versus LED LCD.

They can ban them, but it won't stop people from buying them out of state. May as well limit people to using 17 inch lcds.

Maybe they'll ban PS3 next and limit us to Wii and 360.

if you really want to save electricity, Get off the computer and stop browsing forums so much. If you have an older, or even a newer, Ps3, stop using that to play blurays and watch DVDs from your old dvd player. Stop using air conditioning and just walk around naked.

There is a ton of power saved. If you are that worried.

·
Banned
783 Posts

Quote:

I hear that California and UK wants to band plasma's due to this.

They want to band plasma's what, exactly?

As a long time resident of this nutjob state, it really would not surprise me what those clowns in Sacramento propose.

And like Randy mentioned, don't believe anything you read about plasmas in the LCD forum.

Or for that matter, about LCDs you read in this forum.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
You have to realize that LCDs use the same amount of power regardless of a totally black picture or a totally white picture, those bulbs are always on, glowing, glowing, glowing. With a plasma the power consumption varies scene by scene. During a darker scene the power consumption is dramatically less than on a bright one. So the net result will be a little more power to a plasma but not a substantial amount. But the improvement in the image is well worth what ever amount of energy it uses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts