AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any standard to judge what considered to be good bass frequency response.

What is the max difference between peak and trough for good bass frequency response?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Generally accepted overall frequency response is +/-3db. In room bass response is tougher. If you can get from the bottom through the xover point and into the mains within +/-4 or 5, you're doing pretty well - much better than most people.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The question is now after you install the bass traps how much do you think the difference between peak and trough bass frequency response will be reduced.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Like I said, if you can get +/-5, you're doing well. Most people never get there and end up with a 12-15db swing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ethan,

I agree with you. In my case, after installing the bass traps, the bass frequency response is a little bit better than without bass traps. However, the room sounds much better. The bass traps must do much more than just flattening basss frequency response as you said.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Note that Ethan mentioned that the ring times were greatly reduced.

I just built a couple of corber absorbers. I could definitely hear the improvement. When I ran ETF to verify, there wasn't a huge improvement in the FR, but in the waterfall plots, I could see that the decay time (ring time) was shortened. I think this was the improvement I was hearing. The reverberation times weren't as long, and so the sound is clearer.

You can see the test results over in the General Home Theater Forum, if you are interested. Though, I still need to run some more though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.