AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sony says they are bothering. There was some talk of demonstration equipment appearing next year (recent talk from CEDIA). It seems almost certain that products won't arrive until 2005 and that they will be higher-end-than-SXRD as well.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Brandon, if another laser projector shipped tomorrow, I don't believe Sony could get to market any faster than they currently plan to. They were not exactly suggesting the GLV stuff was really ready yet.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David777
Is Sony the only company allowed to make GLV projectors?

Reading here, it seems yes...

From http://www.siliconlight.com/htmlpgs/...eframeset.html

Quote:

July 2000

Silicon Light Machines exclusively licensed its GLV technology to Sony Corporation for display applications. Concurrently, the company announced a major shift in strategy to design and develop GLV devices for optical communication applications, such as fast switches and optical attenuators.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think it might never come to market because it might be impossible to make commercially successfully.

But I think it's complete absurd to suggest they bought the rights to it in a public way for the purpose of killing it. Especially since it hasn't been proved to work well, nor has it been proved to be buildable.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I believe the technology will be used. The US military is involved with Evans and Southerland to create ultra high resolution projection equiopment. They have been working on it for many years. Nothing is perfected over night.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
GLV, even if too costly for the consumer for some time, will be a great benefit for the digital projection professinal market. Contant-height/vary width projection makes anamorphic lens requirements a thing of the past.

BTW, everyone keep in mind that GLV is just *one* approach to deliver laser-light to the screen. Other manufacturers are taking other routes. Wait and see...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that GLV doesn't require lasers as the light source.

There has been experimentation working with banks of LEDs which were found to work well.

I don't see why it is impossible to bring this to a commercial level. As long as there are viable laser light sources what would hold it back?

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
"There has been experimentation working with banks of LEDs which were found to work well."

Really? I thought that it was not technically feasible to concentrate the LED light to a small enough region (the width if the 1 x 1080 column of pixels) to be useful for GLV.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz
"There has been experimentation working with banks of LEDs which were found to work well."

Really? I thought that it was not technically feasible to concentrate the LED light to a small enough region (the width if the 1 x 1080 column of pixels) to be useful for GLV.

You're right Noah. I must have swapped the terms in my head. They actually used diode laser bars, but they did have to use a lens to gather the total output from 24 emitters and focus them onto the ribbon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.