AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having trouble selecting speaker to upgrade my setup.

I have 2 Polk audio t50 floor standing speaker. I noticed the movie dialogs and sound is really muffed and I have to really raise the volume but when background score increases then it sound goes really high I keep increasing and decreasing volume.
Solution I think is to move to 5.1 setup or may be just add a center channel speaker.

I googled some but I am unable to compare so many options.
Budget I am thinking to keep $500 to 5.1 or something budget if just want to add center channel.
Some I noticed
klipsh r25c
Polk cs10
Polk t30.

Another question I have is it okay to mix match speakers from different companies as I already I have Polk t50s.
Receiver is Sony STRDH590 5.2 ch.
I am projecting on my wall using a optoma projector.

·
Registered
17,776 Posts

I have 2 Polk audio t50 floor standing speaker. I noticed the movie dialogs and sound is really muffed and I have to really raise the volume but when background score increases then it sound goes really high I keep increasing and decreasing volume.
Solution I think is to move to 5.1 setup or may be just add a center channel speaker.

I googled some but I am unable to compare so many options.
Budget I am thinking to keep $500 to 5.1 or something budget if just want to add center channel.
Some I noticed
klipsh r25c
Polk cs10
Polk t30.
$500 for 5.1 will get you very very bad results. Just upgrade the center. The center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the DIALOGUE. It is *the* true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers 4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity.

That Klipsch might be ok. The two other Polks, I'd run like hell away from. Especially any of the CS series.

If you insist on sticking with Polk for the center, Amazon has the LSi-M 704C on sale for $300. The 704C and 706C are the only two *really* good centers that Polk bothers to make. The rest of them are just pushed off on gullible customers using the "timbre matching" sales lie that even high schoolers working at Best Buy know by heart. :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
You can mix/match speakers for LCR as long as you don't have speakers of wildly different capabilities.
As Zorba922 has already pointed out, the center channel is what you should focus on.

Since you already have L/R speakers, and you're considering a 5.1 system, get some inexpensive surrounds and budget for an effective center.
A pair of refurbished Polk R150 speakers at accessories4less may not be the worst things in the world for surround duty, but leaves you significant budget for a very good center.
They also have a refurbished S30 center, which is regarded much more favorably than the T30, for not much more than I see prices for the T30.
The Klipsch R25C is currently on sale at Adorama.

What is your receiver?
What is your subwoofer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can mix/match speakers for LCR as long as you don't have speakers of wildly different capabilities.
As Zorba922 has already pointed out, the center channel is what you should focus on.

Since you already have L/R speakers, and you're considering a 5.1 system, get some inexpensive surrounds and budget for an effective center.
A pair of refurbished Polk R150 speakers at accessories4less may not be the worst things in the world for surround duty, but leaves you significant budget for a very good center.
They also have a refurbished S30 center, which is regarded much more favorably than the T30, for not much more than I see prices for the T30.
The Klipsch R25C is currently on sale at Adorama.

What is your receiver?
What is your subwoofer?
I have Sony STRDH590 receiver
Subwoofer is klipsh R-120SW

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sorry, I missed that you specified the receiver in your earlier post.
For the subwoofer, you may consider saving towards a more powerful model, but they start at $500 (SVS PB-1000, Monolith 10" ported).
Some of the "budget" subs < $300 may actually outperform the Klipsch, but it's probably not worth replacing until you get to the $500 level unless you can sell the Klipsch for a decent price.

I have Sony STRDH590 receiver
Subwoofer is klipsh R-120SW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$500 for 5.1 will get you very very bad results. Just upgrade the center. The center speaker does 70-80% of the HT/TV output and 98% of the DIALOGUE. It is *the* true workhorse/backbone of any HT setup and thus the absolute LAST place you should ever cut corners. Smaller centers 4.5" or smaller woofers) almost always produce tinny voices and often, terrible voice clarity.

That Klipsch might be ok. The two other Polks, I'd run like hell away from. Especially any of the CS series.

If you insist on sticking with Polk for the center, Amazon has the LSi-M 704C on sale for $300. The 704C and 706C are the only two *really* good centers that Polk bothers to make. The rest of them are just pushed off on gullible customers using the "timbre matching" sales lie that even high schoolers working at Best Buy know by heart. :D
I was confused by so many blogs saying to look at frequency response, resistance and how much receiver can handle. I don’t know if all that applies to me with these basic speakers. I want to learn how it works so if you can educate me on what to look for when selecting a speaker for current setup.

anyone I listed or LSi-M 704C will match with my existing t50s? I went to Best Buy and that guy said to use the same brand for speakers but I don’t really trust him.
I am inclined to slowly improve my setup but don’t want spend too much.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
17,776 Posts
anyone I listed or LSi-M 704C will match with my existing t50s? I went to Best Buy and that guy said to use the same brand for speakers but I don’t really trust him. I am inclined to slowly improve my setup but don’t want spend too much.
Good for you...I would trust Best Buy staff as far as I can throw them. Completely useless. Some combination of dishonest and ignorant, sometimes both.

The bad news: the only way to truly "match" your T50s is to use a 3rd T50 as your center in VERTICAL position. Of course you probably can't do that for reasons of WAF or/and cabinet limitations.

The good news: unless you are an extremely fastidious listener, have the strange habit of "upmixing" native stereo sources into surround mode, or do a lot of multi-channel gaming, it DOESN'T MATTER. The main function of a center speaker is to provide effortless dialogue clarity so that you don't have to constantly turn the volume up and down just to understand wtf the actors are saying. You can do that with any COMPETENT center speaker. Unfortunately, there are a lot of INCOMPETENT center speakers out there, which manufacturers half-assedly slap together because they know that the average consumer is easily suckered into buying them as part of a "timbre matching" package---the "timbre matching" spiel is something that any pimply faced 18 year old working for minimum wage at Best Buy can easily learn to regurgitate on cue.

So yes, the 704C will be fine, if going with the same brand of center speaker makes you feel safer.

Otherwise, you could do just as well with any number of other proven performers in the $250-400 range, which most people are quite happy with:
* Emotiva C1 or C2
* Chane A2.4 (sold out at present)
* Ascend 340SE
* Hsu CCB-8

Centers with free return shipping:
* HTD Level 3 center
* RSL CG25
* JBL centers from the JBL or Harman website
* Infinity centers from the Infinity or Harman website

Other centers worth considering, available at Best Buy and Crutchfield for easy returns:
* Klipsch RP centers with 5.25 or larger woofers
* Martin Logan centers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts