AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be moving to a new place in a couple of months and the new living room does not allow for my surround speakers to mounted in the wall like our current living room because it is open on one side and full of windows on the other. I have been looking at some on-ceiling speakers and I found the following speaker from speakercraft.

AIM MDU

Now because the room is 20 feet long should I consider going 7.1 now? The couch will be place in the middle of room and the viewing distance will be roughly 10 feet away from the TV (Samsung LN55B650 mounted on wall).

Here is a picture of how I am thinking of doing the setup.

Also as far as sub goes I think I will be doing DIY but would 2 smaller subs placed in opposite corners be better than a larger one in one corner like in the picture? The largest I can possibly go with the larger one is around a 20in cube or an SVS PB-12NSD (18x21x25in). If I go with smaller on opposite corners I can do around a 14-15" cube for both and they would be around the price for something like 2x sealed Shiva-X with an EP2500.

·
Registered
30,693 Posts
Since your couch is away from the back wall, you're an ideal candidate for 7.1 layout. Rather than have both pairs of surround speakers rearward of the listeners, I would place one pair directly to the sides of the couch. This will give you stable lateral imaging and improve rear-vs-side separation in the surround field. Spread the side speakers as wide apart as you symmetrically can. As for the rear speakers: place them far back and spread them at least 60 degrees apart (so you can hear stereo separation behind you).

The other thing you should consider is moving your couch, in order to get smoother frequency response. The middle of the room (10 feet from the front wall) is almost never a good location. Moving your couch to one of the 1/3rd or 1/5th divisions of the room length will typically improve the sound. For example: instead of 10 feet from the front wall, the couch would be better off at the 8-foot or 12-foot mark.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.