AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going crazy trying to decide how much to spend on my projector and screen. I've went from thinking about the Z90 to the HT1000 to the Z10K to the X1. Screen wise I've went from motorized HCCV to pull down High Power.

I'm a budding audiophile and I do find myself in situations where I would listen to music more (mainly cause I can listen to one song and do something else or just leave the music on).

I'm not the most critical videophile. I just want something that I would be happy with for quite a long time and not be tempted by upgrade bugs.

I would buy the X1 and upgrade about 1-2 years later or I can get the Z90 or HT1000 and use it a little bit longer.

But I don't want to get the Z10K if something for half the price would blow it out of the water next year. So my question is whether technology will still move at the rapid pace it is moving. Will the Z10K hold its own a few years down the line to warrant the high costs right now? I don't mind projectors being slightly better than the Z10K next year and quite a bit better two years letter at the same price point but not to the extent where a $3000 projector next year would match or blow away the Z10K.

I don't like X1's colour wheel and resolution, I don't like Z90's resolution, the HT1000 is 4:3 and 4X colour wheel the Z10K is expensive. Does the Z10K have a weakness that I definitely will not be too happy with years down the line?

Any help to this madness? It's really driving me crazy. And of course I don't want to wait forever to buy a projector.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in the same boat, so you'll get only more questions from me. I'm looking for something that can work with a little ambient light, has a long throw, is quiet, has decent image, and low maintenance. Ideally, it would not drop like crazy so I have a reasonable tradeup option if the right SXRD projector comes out in a year. That "narrows" the scope to the following for me:

HT1000 - Wrong throw, not that bright, but quiet.

HD20/PLV-70 - Right throw, very bright, not so quiet, blobs.

HD50 - Wrong throw but keystone can fix?, reasonably bright, quiet?

Z10000 - Right throw, reasonably bright, not so quiet + whine, expensive.

I'll lump the rest of the higher end HD2 projectors with the Z10k (VP12S2, DPX1000,etc)

The options have never been this good. Although it's still a little off, it's close enough to consider jumping in. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Yamaha and Dwin have a max throw of 2.1 x screen width

Seleco and Sharp will go to 2.4

JVC's DLA-SX21 (a D-ILA) will go to 2.5

Sanyo PLV-70/Boxlight 20HD has a max throw of 2'25

Marantz S2 has a max throw of 1.5

Good luck if you plan on these holding their value. Since a new DLP is expected next year, expect the prices to drop just like they did for the HD1s. Last year's DLPs are selling for 2/3 the price that they were bought for. That's why I plan to keep my ordered DWIN for quite a while.

SXRD is supposed to cost between $20K-$30K if you are waiting for that.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
If rainbows and DLP eyestrain don't bother you, go midrange and get the HT1000. :)

Hardly any tweaking needs to be done. Out of the box, the HT1000 is excellent. The X1 uses an RGBW wheel, so color accuracy won't be that great without a fair bit of tweaking.

Too bad I see rainbows and have very slight tension/eye fatigue with DLP. :(

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Oh yeah...I'm going with low-end LCD (Sanyo PLV-Z1). I believe the difference in contrast between low-end and high-end LCD is almost zero. None of them will come even close to DLP in the foreseeable future, so I might as well not waste my money on the expensive 1280x720 LCD panels, and hold out for low-cost 3 chip DLPs or maybe even SXRD in a few years.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Goosey,

The Infocus 7200 handles ambient light very well, the tests we did in my HT put the 7200 ahead of the SX-21 and the S2 for ambient light conditions. Can't comment on the throw distance, but I think it may be ok.

I seriously doubt you would be able to buy a PJ for $3000.00 next year that will blow the Z10k out of the water.

Piney,

Consider the Infocus 7200, people have talked about noise on this guy, but as far as I'm concerned it's no louder that any of the PJ's you've listed.

The 7200 also has one of the best cost points as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in Canada, for some reason the Infocus 7200 seems to be an "American Product". I can get it from AVS and I'm not sure what the price would be but shipping costs and custom charges will definitely have to be factored in which probably won't make the price that desirable.

The Sharp 10K is double the price of the HT1000. I don't know if the HT1000 guys plan to keep their projectors longer than the Sharp 10K guys though.

On the other hand the X1 has a VERY TEMPTINGLY low price.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If money is not the object I would go with the 10k. The ht1000 is a nice pj but nothing like the 10k. Also I know of a good place with a great price so the difference isn't that great between the lower end and the 10k.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the 10K is better. But if it's not going to be considered a good project at all only a few years down the line then I would be hesitant to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thomas: The Infocus 7200 is just short enough that I'd probably have to move it to center rather than rear.

I have an LT150 that has barely been used because the throw meant the white noise generator had to be right in front of me. It was great at masking the dialogue in bad scripts. Despite the fringe benefits, I've become gun shy regarding projector noise.

Toxarch: That 20-30k rumor was an April Fool's post. The thread became so long that most people missed the punchline buried in the middle.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Goosey,

If you hang out here you will probably get the upgrade bug. Very few are immune :)

I don't know what these will cost in a year, but for point of reference the Sharp 9000 came out at something like $9k or $10k and in less than a year the NEC HT1000 came out (Nov 2002) at a hair over $4k. I haven't been able to find anybody who has seen both who thought the images on the 9000 look better. Now, this is just one example that probably isn't the norm and although I wouldn't expect a projector in a year that blows away the 10k and only costs $3000 these things will continue to come down as they also get better. I know one HD2 manufacturer told me in January that they expected prices to be about 50% of their level at that time, in one year.

I think whether you will be happy with the 10k years down the road depends very much on whether you can block out that those projectors will be a lot better, for way less money. It will still project nice images. It is a lot like computers IMO. Some people could be happy using a Pentium 3 500 right now, but a lot of others couldn't. For a lot of people I think it makes sense to find something in the sweet spot where they don't spend all the money for the leading edge, but also get something nice. Right now I think that is about a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4.

For me the HT1000 also falls in about the same category.

Before considering an X1 I think you should try to figure out if you are one who sees rainbows. If not, one advantage of that projector is that it is so cheap that you can use it while you shop for a long term projector and then move it to a bedroom or something when you find something that you really want.

My advice to people new to this stuff is often a little different that many other people's advice. A lot of people here say to spend a lot of time learning about them before buying anything. For people who can afford to, I'm more likely to advise that they spend a little time learning, then buy something much cheaper than they can afford and enjoy that while they also spend time learning more about what they like and don't like. Then 6 months later they can buy with confidence that they are at least making the best informed decision that they can. This is basically the approach I've taken and I'm currently selling the projector that I bought when I first got into this last July. It's worked for me. If you are going to rip up walls and stuff to match the throw of a projector, that might not be the best approach for a temporary projector, though. :)

Best of luck,

Darin

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice Darin. With the 9000, people were aware of the HD2 and how much better it was. Whereas continuing with your computer analogy, people went and bought the G4 and 9700 because they were pretty certain that the new card that would come out months later won't exactly blow these two cards away.

It's just a matter of technology curves. Major advances can't happen every year can it? Has the Z10K or HT1000 reached a point where it'll take a while before the new stuff would absolutely blow away these two in price/performance?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goosey
Thanks for the advice Darin. With the 9000, people were aware of the HD2 and how much better it was.
From what I've read here, the reports were that the HD2 would pretty much be a tweak from the HD1 and wouldn't be much better. Of course, once the HD2s were released then the news became how much of an improvement they were :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Goosey

It's just a matter of technology curves. Major advances can't happen every year can it? Has the Z10K or HT1000 reached a point where it'll take a while before the new stuff would absolutely blow away these two in price/performance?
If we look at what has happened to LCD prices I think we can see that there is plenty of room for prices to move down. The LCOS folks haven't seemed to do much right and have left most of the higher end market to TI. That could change, though. Just my seat of the pants guess is that the biggest improvements that you will see in the next few years are more pixels, more options that allow you to have a bright projector when needed and high CR when needed, and better connectivity. I think the iris idea is a good one and it would be great to have a 2000 lumen projector for football that could also do 5000:1 CR and much lower light output when you want to turn the lights off and watch a dark movie.

And what if projectors started including technology like the current $40k Teranex systems that would almost eliminate mosquito noise and give really smooth playback by creating frames between frames.

I think we are a ways from being at the point that video cards and processors are now, especially from a price standpoint. I expect one of the HD2 manufacturers to blink by next fall and push prices lower and my money has been on InFocus (including the Toshiba MT8) to be the first one. It seems like they might already be doing this a little bit with some of the prices I've seen posted on the sales forum recently.

If NEC releases a 16x9 version of the HT1000 it will be interesting to see how they price it (I'm guessing they try to compete not far from the 7200) and if that creates a bunch of used HT1000s for sale here.

--Darin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.