AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on my decision over which player to purchase.I have a Sony VPL-W400 lcd pro. which only does 480i . 90% of my viewing, is film based DVD's.With that in mind I originally was going to purchase the RV80 as it seemed to be the best interlaced player out there.But the rp56 has got such great reviews that I am now second guessing myself.Is it a waste to get a progressive scan like the rp56 if it can not be fully utilised ? Should I go with the interlaced strong rv80 ?Any advice would be appreciated.l

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you're only going to display 480i, anything you spend on hardware to convert from interlaced (which is the way DVDs are stored) to progressive is money wasted.

I'd tilt very strongly in favor of the RV80...

Bob

·
Registered
237 Posts
The RV80 is the ultimate 480i DVD player in my opinion because 1) it loads fast 2) it's a simple design and 3) its got a great picture w/o the chroma bug

Hell, SDI modified RV80s would be the ultimate.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckster
The RV80 is the ultimate 480i DVD player in my opinion because 1) it loads fast 2) it's a simple design and 3) its got a great picture w/o the chroma bug

Hell, SDI modified RV80s would be the ultimate.
I have the RV80 - it was one of the first I considered as a candidate player. It certanily is modifiable, however, quite a pain since the MPEG decoder PCB is mounted underneath the transport itself. Moreover, it is sheilded so it just makes it even more cumbersome to mod.

The RV80 is vastly better than the RP56 for interlaced output IMO, but this is largely based on the analog output section of the player. Therefore, I doubt SDI out of the RP56 would look any better or worse than an SDI-enabled RV80...although they do use different MPEG decoders.

Interesting side note: the Kenwood 5900M uses the same MPEG decoder found in the RV80!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If you want absolutely the best interlaced performance get RP91. I know it is mainly progressive player with DVD Audio but its interlaced performance is even better than RV-80.

It is also little more expensive but you get CD-R, DVD-RAM, mp3 playback and host of other features which RV-80 does not have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.