AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned any incarnation of the Playstation till the PS3. Picked it up mainly for Blu-ray movie watching.

I have Resistance but no other available titles peaked my interest so I started asking friends who own the PS2 for game suggestions. Several of them suggested God of War so I went by the local EB Games and picked up a used copy.

Wow, what a great game! Excellent game mechanics, good story and decent graphics too. Only had time to play past the first save point. Those three hydra's are kicking my Spartan butt!
From what I've experienced so far, I'll be picking up GoW II when released.

Anyone else have suggestions for a good PS2 games that work well on the PS3?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ratchet and Clank Up your Aresenel

Tekken 5

DMC3 (very difficult)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing DMC3 is short for Devil May Cry 3? Sorry but I am a Playstation noob!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The first Devil May Cry, not as good graphics as GoW, but pretty cool

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I completely forgot about the Tekken series! One thing good about being able to play PS2 games on the PS3 is I can find some great games on the cheap. Glad I have an EB Games / Gamespot discount card!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I heard somewhere that Target has Tekken 5 for like $7 on sale right now. That game is a steal at $20.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force /forum/post/0

I heard somewhere that Target has Tekken 5 for like $7 on sale right now. That game is a steal at $20.

I think I'll wait for the HD version of Tekken 5 being released for North America via the Playstation Store.

I just read some reviews on Metal Gear Solid 3 Substance. Looks good.

Maybe it was not such a good idea to ask for game suggestions...I can already feel my bank account shrinking!
Thanks again for the suggestions so far!

·
Registered
810 Posts
can anyone post screenshots of GOW running under PS3?

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/0

You might want to check the games that support progressive scan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Scan_PS2_Games

It also tells you which games have a 16:9 mode.

Do you have to hold down buttons on the PS3 as it is starting up to get progressive scan mode (as your link mentions)? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
God of War is one of the graphically smoothest looking PS2 games ever made in progressive mode (480P)... it is DEFINITELY not jaggy, especially on the PS3. Of course the game was jaggy in 480i before the update, but that was fixed yesterday.

To the OP, stating your genre favorites would help but here's a list of goodies:

Resident Evil 4 (outstanding game)

Shadow of Colossus

Soul Calibur 2 (better game than SC3 IMHO)

Onimusha 3

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl /forum/post/0

Do you have to hold down buttons on the PS3 as it is starting up to get progressive scan mode (as your link mentions)? Thanks.

I don't know. I never had a PS2 and I just bought my first PS2 game (Shadow of the Colossus) recently. There is a menu option for progressive scan in that one, so that's how I activated it in that case.

·
Registered
19,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr_stl /forum/post/0

To get God Of War into progressive scan, wide screen and Dolby PLII, before every game you need to go into options and turn them on. It does not save them in your saved games.

Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have a PS2, but I didn't buy God of War until I got my PS3 and read about how good it is. Right now I am in Cliffs of Madness stage with max everything - make sure you learn how to do the infinite orbs exploit in the Challenge of Atlas stage.

Such a cool game. The combinations of moves you can do as you upgrade your gear are really awesome. If only I can play Guitar Hero on PS3, then I would no longer have a reason to hold on to my PS2.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Progressive mode 16x9 God of War on widescreen through HDMI looks perfect for me (Sony SXRD XBR HDTV). When I go Component, it forces a 4:3 image that looks skinny and squished.

LeeLee, adaptors that let you use your guitar are coming in early February.

·
Registered
273 Posts
All of the Onimusha series

Kingdom Hearts I & II

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.