AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
eh, dont feel this is necessary in the slightest. The collection on PS3 was good and well worth the re-release. Ascension just wasnt that enjoyable for me personally and I can't honestly imagine this sell as well as TLoU. This should be a PS+ title at best, but SSM should be focused on a new game (even if its anoher GoW title).

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Agreed. Seems silly. TLoU made sense since some had jumped console generations without trying the original first. TLoU was the last powerhouse title before the PS4 dropped. This just seems like a flat out money grab.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I really do love the whole series (except for Ascension), psp games too. GOW III might be my favorite of the bunch, in both game play and the way it tells its story.

The re-release is a lot of time for a team of people to spend on what's basically an ad for the next GOW. I am happy to see one of my favorite games out there and easily obtained by those new to gaming in general, and PlayStation in particular.

I agree that if you already played the PS3 version then yes, this version is not worth it. Then again, lots of people said the same with the Tomb Raider remaster (including me) and it sold some numbers.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
There's probably a few people out there that went PS2>360>PS4, so I don't think a remaster is too bad of an idea. If more recent multi-platform games like Tomb Raider and DMC can find an audience for Remastered Editions, I don't see why GoW 3 can't. It was one of the best looking games last gen and I still remember how jaw-dropping the demo was when I first played it. I know it's only worthwhile for the big sellers, but moving forward, it would be nice to see all PS store games playable on x86 PlayStation architecture.

My PS3's BD drive seems like it might be on it on its last legs. However, I'm not a fan of streaming and will probably never use PS Now. I hate double dipping, but can see myself picking this up after a price drop. As Epyon415 has suggested, it would be even better if it was freebie PS+ title.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
After their past success remastering PS2/PSP titles, and with other developers doing likewise with last gen material, it makes sense to at least have a try at it to see if they can again succeed.

I've never been interested in this series, but isn't there a 2nd PS3 title? They'd stand a better chance of success if they remastered that one for the same release. The value proposition of their past remasterings probably played as big a role as anything in their success, since not only was the source material excellent while the remastering job provided a significant leap in visuals, but they also packed two games in each release.

With the visual leap all but assuredly not being nearly the same as we experienced last time, I'm not sure that now was the time to skimp on content.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Wow, a remaster of a 5 year old game that hardly anybody cares about anymore. They couldn't even be bothered to add a 3D mode or other new feature. And they want $40 for it. Between delays of major games and announcements like this, Sony's management of its IP's has just been abysmal lately.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I don't know why, but the God of War franchise has never really appealed to me.

Do people really care about God of War in 2015 ? To me, it seems like Sony has all these old franchises from the PS2 days that seem to be fine for PS2 era, but I just think they are kinda tired and don't work well going into 2015 and beyond. I really, really hope that Sony Santa Monica isn't wasting their time on a legit PS4 version of God of War. Would be the most anti-climatic announcement ever.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Do people really care about God of War in 2015 ? To me, it seems like Sony has all these old franchises from the PS2 days that seem to be fine for PS2 era, but I just think they are kinda tired and don't work well going into 2015 and beyond. I really, really hope that Sony Santa Monica isn't wasting their time on a legit PS4 version of God of War. Would be the most anti-climatic announcement ever.
it is a Playstation staple, so I suspect people believe it ought to continue. After #3 though, it seems like the story could be left out to pasture. I wouldn't be surprised (and expect) a new entry for PS4. Just as ND was able to create TLoU, it would be nice and beneficial if SSM started a new IP (which I think they are doing something RPG-ish, iirc). Hopefully we learn more at E3.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I'm probably renting this from Gamefly. Owned it for years but never played it much. Might actually run through it this time. Then again I'm just as likely to forget about it. This is definitely a dusty remaster to crank out, especially for 40 bones. Their logic is that new PS owners missed out on it back in the day....PS Now would have sufficed for this or BC.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts

I loved the first two, and the psp one. But the ones on PS3 were....well...not very good and all sorts of glitches. Which is sad because the first ones were SO good at the time.

I never played Ascension. I felt so ripped off by GOW3 I never even considered it.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I bought the Tomb Raider remaster at full price ($60) and didn't regret it at all (I had not played it previously). If I hadn't played GOW3 before I would be fine with $40. I liked it well enough on PS3, it certainly was a stunner, although I found the characterizations and story lacking compared to previous iterations.

I am sure it will drop in price more rapidly than new releases, as these things always do. For $20 it would be a no-brainer if I hadn't played it before. I don't think it was good enough gameplay/storywise for me to be interested in another play-through though, the only game I have ever (that I can remember) done that before was TLoU. Also, it looked really good on PS3, so I think the visual upside here is going to be marginal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts