AVS Forum banner

Godfather Extended Version Available?

7532 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  gwsat
I believe this is the version that played on Bravo and has a lot of scenes that were cut from the original.

Is this version out on DVD or ???

Any help appreciated...

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
There are 2 versions I'm aware of. I watched in 77 or 78 a version called godfather saga or epic. It aired as miniseries, combining part 1 and 2 in chronologic order, with added footage and edited for television. There was another later version, godfather trilogy combining all 3 in chronologic order. the only reference I can find is for vhs on amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Godfather-1902...8463469&sr=8-8

and;

http://www.amazon.com/Godfather-Tril...8463469&sr=8-2

I thought there might have been a laserdisc version of saga in a box set, but I cannot find any reference. You might look on ebay. best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzimik /forum/post/16882332

I thought there might have been a laserdisc version of saga in a box set, but I cannot find any reference. You might look on ebay. best of luck.

Yes, The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 was released on laserdisc in 1992.

The first two movies have been re-edited so that all of the footage plays in chronological order. New footage has also been added. This was originally done for TV broadcast in the late '70s/early '80s. For the "Trilogy" box set, the third movie (which takes place chronologically after the others and has no flashbacks) was merely tacked onto the end.
I must admit, the first Godfather viewing for me was the extended version. So when I saw them as released in theaters, I was upset at the loss of numerous great scenes and to this day I wish many of them could be put back into the films.
Possibly the additional footage cannot be made to resemble the rest of the footage. In addition, Coppola probably just doesn't want that version out and about.

A friend who shares a passion for the films along with his wife swears there was also a highly compressed version of the first two films that fit into the running time of a single film. I can scarcely imagine such a thing would be possible.
Thanks for your help..........
Godfather Epic on HBO Go and 1/23

"The Godfather Epic" is now available on HBO Now, will air again on January 23rd, and is available On Demand until January 28th per indywire I stumbled on it last night and will DVR the 23rd!

Attachments

See less See more
My first Godfather viewing was the extended edition cut in chronological order. Absolutely terrible butchering of the movie. Because it totally destroyed the story in both I and II.
HBO Go and HBO Now

"The Godfather Epic" is now available on HBO Now, will air again on January 23rd, and is available On Demand until January 28th per indywire I stumbled on it last night and will DVR the 23rd!
If you’re an HBO or HBO Now subscriber (or if you’ve somehow managed to obtain a password) you currently have access to an interesting cinematic beast: a 424-minute cut of Francis Ford Coppola’s first two Godfather films, recut in chronological order and bolstered with a number of scenes cut from the theatrical releases in 1972 and 1974.

The Godfather Epic, as it’s being called, begins with the story of a young Vito Corleone (played by 10-year-old Oreste Baldini, and later a 30-year-old Robert DeNiro) as he transforms himself from destitute immigrant to powerful mafioso. (You might recognize this section as the flashback scenes that were interspersed throughout The Godfather: Part II.) The action then leaps forward to 1945, as a 49-year-old Marlon Brando takes over the role. Aside from some newly re-inserted scenes here and there, this is pretty much the entirety of the original Godfather film from start to finish. This section ends with Michael, the youngest Corleone son (Al Pacino), taking the reins of the business after his father’s death, and the rest of the narrative follows Michael’s storyline from the late ’50s section of Part II. (No footage from 1990’s Part III is included, for obvious reasons.)

Older fans might remember a similar cut—marketed alternately as The Godfather Saga or The Godfather: The Complete Novel For Television—that aired as a miniseries on NBC back in 1977 and was later released on VHS.

The Godfather Epic began streaming on HBO Go and HBO Now shortly after it aired on HBO proper this past Sunday night.
http://www.avclub.com/article/special-7-hour-chronological-cut-godfather-now-hbo-231136
Although I could watch The Godfather Epic on HBO Go, I am going to record it from the network on my TiVo this evening instead. This will make it a lot easier to watch the film in a piecemeal fashion, something I will need to do, given its 7 plus hours length. Really looking forward to seeing these marvelous films this way. Thanks to adash66 for the tip!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.