AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been in the new house a year now and just now getting to start on the theater room. Yeah I know I have been slacking :D. Starting building the room this past week. The room I'm working with is currently 19 foot 6 inches long by 13 foot 3 inches wide and 8 foot 3 inches tall. After everything is finished that will shrink down to about 19 foot long and 12 foot 6 inches wide give or take. The ceiling I'm still not sure on. Not sure If I should go with drop ceiling like my last theater or sheet rock it this time(give me a little more head room). With the walls having been part block and brick I decided to go ahead and frame them out from floor to ceiling again. This will give me my double wall and they wont be touching. Granted 3 of the 4 walls are exterior walls. Facing in the block wall to the left has earth behind it, front wall is outside and the right wall is outside. The back wall leads into the finished basement. You will enter through the back of the room. Going to build a 12-16inch riser for the rear seats and as soon as you open the door have steps for it. Plan to have a 24inch false wall for the speakers to sit in behind the screen. I'll be running 3 x JBL 4722n's , So I'll be building some sort of super strong shelf for my subs to sit on above the JBL's. Also not sure what to do with the projector since you have to walk in through the back and step up. Won't leave any room not to hit your head. Projector needs to be back about 18 foot as I would like to step up from my 138 diag 2.35:1 screen to a 150 at some point. I was thinking I could place it to the left of the door, as that would place it in front of the room my rack is going in. I have a JVC-RS620 so I can shift it with no issue. Just trying to get it back far enough seams to be an issue. I might could put it in the room with my rack maybe with some work. Adding a bunch of pictures of my progress so far.

List of equipment going into room.
Elite 138 2.35:1 AT screen
JVC RS-620 Projector
3 x JBL 4722n speakers
4 x Volt 8's
4 x Volt 6's Atmos
Marantz 6011
Outlaw Audio 5000
Behringer inuke 3000dps
2 x Marty subs
HTPC for Madvr
Nvidia Shield for Streaming
Sony 4k x800

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few updates to the room. Been a while, making pretty good head way now. Finally getting to work on it on my days off. Got 2 , 20 amp lines ran to my rack closet. Got my network rack installed and up and running. Did have to pull out all the electrical that was already in the room as some out didn’t know what they were doing. Finished framing out the last wall last week. Just need to frame out the duct work now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost done with drywall. Did double 5/8s by my self. Let me tell ya that was fun. Luckily a friend let me borrow a drywall lift. Also did double 5/8 between the joist. Hope to get the stage and riser built this coming week. They are coming out to measure for carpet on the 2nd. Getting close to being able to use this thing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should have the riser finished up today. Have to buy one more sheet of OSB for the front stage. I decided to make the riser 6 inches longer. Have to hurry up as the carpet is going in , in 2 weeks and still need to clean up the drywall. Don’t have to perfect finish it as all of the drywall will have fabric or panels covering it. Have 100 foot of duct insulation and 12 , 4x2 panels of Owens 703 coming next week. Got in my 32 yards of triple black velvet this week. Room should be a black hole.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Riser is done, stage is done... almost done with finishing the drywall. Carpet was supposed to be here this week. Carpet came in damaged, Lowe’s refused it and didn’t call me. Had to go in to find out it has to be ordered all over again. Now it’s going to be another month before the carpet gets here. Going to do as much as I can till then.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Been watching your build a little bit. Overall work looks good. I did notice you may have an issue on the egress/ingress of the room however. Your door opens up right into a step without a landing. This will be an issue if you ever decide to sell the house/room the way it's built. Keep that in mind.

Otherwise, I like the room. keep up the work.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Been watching your build a little bit. Overall work looks good. I did notice you may have an issue on the egress/ingress of the room however. Your door opens up right into a step without a landing. This will be an issue if you ever decide to sell the house/room the way it's built. Keep that in mind.

Otherwise, I like the room. keep up the work.
Can you further explain?(never mind saw your link). My house already breaks the rules of a door swinging over a step to go in the basement. Wife wanted a ramp, but I like the step better. Just bought this house. So will be at least 20 plus years before I sell it. So not much of an issue for me. Thanks for the heads up though. I still have to build a step off the right side of the riser.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty big update… Got the room painted and the carpet went in today. Have to build a shelf for the subs now. Also build the subs. Put the volt 6s in the ceiling and build trim pieces for them. Hang the volt 8s , not a big deal. Then trim out the door on both sides , also install the glass window for the projector. Still probably a few more weeks but getting close.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Great progress. What paint did you go with?

I was thinking of matte tri-corn black for my theater, but didn't know if that’s the best as far as light reflections go still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great progress. What paint did you go with?

I was thinking of matte tri-corn black for my theater, but did t know if that’s the best as far as light reflections go still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s called limousine Leather, it’s a Bear paint. It’s pretty dang black. Got flat paint. Only draw back is if people touch it , it shows everything. It’s actually mostly temporary, as I’ll be covering like 70-80% of the room in some type of cloth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
love the carpet - especially on this stairs…super fun and really gets you excited for the space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts