AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided that I am not happy with my Sony A9G, because I am wanting to watch news, weather channels, and other things with static images for long periods of time. I have been using 75/77 inch screens for the last five years. I am looking to drop down to a 65”. Pixel density will be tighter and so forth.

At any rate, What is the best bang for the buck out there in the LED LCD line of TV’s? I will note that I will not buy a Samsung, because I have had nothing but bad units with eight of them over the last four years.

Will I really have any issues with a 65” TV from about 10 foot from the screen? (Logistically, a 65” would be easier to handle being only my wife and myself to install it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the budget?
I have not decided yet. I know I can not do anything larger than 75”, so whatever that would be. I am not caught up on budget, just the best for the money.

I will strictly be watching movies, TV shows, and streaming shows. Nothing except a sound bar connected to it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have not decided yet. I know I can not do anything larger than 75”, so whatever that would be. I am not caught up on budget, just the best for the money.

I will strictly be watching movies, TV shows, and streaming shows. Nothing except a sound bar connected to it.

I just replaced my 10 year old 59 inch Samsung Plasma. I didn't want to spend the money for a OLED or QLED, also I knew I could get a much bigger TV cheaper. So, I went to Walmart and got the base model LG 75" UN6950zud. So far I'm very happy with it. Movies and shows look spectacular and Sports look really good. I can see a bit of lag in some sports where as my old plasma was 600hz with zero lag or pixelating. To each his own. I spent 20 years spending big money on the best tv's one could buy. Now that I'm older I just wanted a good affordable replacement with good PQ. I paid $744 for the LG. Also, the off angle is pretty good on these tv's, not as good as plasma or oled but still much better than most LCD?LED sets. For the money, I couldn't be happier. This one also has the Webos preloaded with all the good stuff and has "thin-q tech" so you can control your house with it. I don't need that part but some people may. Oh, it also has the IPS panel which stomps out most of the clouding effect you get in many LCD LED sets these days. I actually brought home a Vizio 75 inch V755 first. Wasn't thrilled about PQ and off angle viewing was terrible, washed out really bad. Took it back and got the LG. Almost pulled the trigger on their TCL 75 inch with ROKU onboarded. It was a little cheaper but I wasn't sure about the TCL panel or where it is made. I knew that LG builds all their panels in house so I just went with what I knew. But that TCL looked real good. They also had a 75 inch ONN with ROKU for like $498. I passed also on the Samsung TU7200 because people were saying that after 6 months to a year they were having problems with darkened out spots on their screens. I read too many reviews stating the same problem so I X'd them off the list. I've always been high on Samsung, but this one seemed like trouble.

Reactions: Ryan Howard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced my 10 year old 59 inch Samsung Plasma. I didn't want to spend the money for a OLED or QLED, also I knew I could get a much bigger TV cheaper. So, I went to Walmart and got the base model LG 75" UN6950zud. So far I'm very happy with it. Movies and shows look spectacular and Sports look really good. I can see a bit of lag in some sports where as my old plasma was 600hz with zero lag or pixelating. To each his own. I spent 20 years spending big money on the best tv's one could buy. Now that I'm older I just wanted a good affordable replacement with good PQ. I paid $744 for the LG. Also, the off angle is pretty good on these tv's, not as good as plasma or oled but still much better than most LCD?LED sets. For the money, I couldn't be happier. This one also has the Webos preloaded with all the good stuff and has "thin-q tech" so you can control your house with it. I don't need that part but some people may. Oh, it also has the IPS panel which stomps out most of the clouding effect you get in many LCD LED sets these days. I actually brought home a Vizio 75 inch V755 first. Wasn't thrilled about PQ and off angle viewing was terrible, washed out really bad. Took it back and got the LG. Almost pulled the trigger on their TCL 75 inch with ROKU onboarded. It was a little cheaper but I wasn't sure about the TCL panel or where it is made. I knew that LG builds all their panels in house so I just went with what I knew. But that TCL looked real good. They also had a 75 inch ONN with ROKU for like $498. I passed also on the Samsung TU7200 because people were saying that after 6 months to a year they were having problems with darkened out spots on their screens. I read too many reviews stating the same problem so I X'd them off the list. I've always been high on Samsung, but this one seemed like trouble.
Samsung is one brand that is off of my list. I forgot to mention that. I would do Sony, LG, Hisense, Vizio, or TCL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**warning**possible bias content ahead.

Here is CNETs take across the price spectrum:
This thread is going to dictate what the budget it. Let’s say one brand is $700 for the unit, and another has one that is a lot better for $1000, then I am better off spending more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If its LED-LCD TV and if you are looking for value for picture quality, my preference would be TCL 8 series (Quantum - Mini LED) and then Vizio P (Quantum). Samsung prices are too high for their best ones and the cheaper ones from them won't warrant a second look. If you wait until Summer 2021, TCL 8 Series would probably be bit better, Vizio no change, Samsung is also going with Mini-LED, LG also joins them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its LED-LCD TV and if you are looking for value for picture quality, my preference would be TCL 8 series (Quantum - Mini LED) and then Vizio P (Quantum). Samsung prices are too high for their best ones and the cheaper ones from them won't warrant a second look. If you wait until Summer 2021, TCL 8 Series would probably be bit better, Vizio no change, Samsung is also going with Mini-LED, LG also joins them.
As of right now, we do not have a TV, so we need one right away, or with in the next two weeks at the most. It would be nice to wait until summer, but it is kind of out of the question.

I have been looking hard at the Sony X900H in either 65” or 75”, or the X950H in 65”.

TCL has really peaked my interest as well, but I have no experience with them, however, I already use their operating system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would wait for the 2021 models, but they are at least two months out, if not longer. I need a new one right away.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
As of right now, we do not have a TV, so we need one right away, or with in the next two weeks at the most. It would be nice to wait until summer, but it is kind of out of the question.

I have been looking hard at the Sony X900H in either 65” or 75”, or the X950H in 65”.

TCL has really peaked my interest as well, but I have no experience with them, however, I already use their operating system.

As long as you're not in a totally dark room, get the X950H over the X900H.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Samsung. That is the one brand that is absolutely out for me. Forgot to mention that I will not buy another Samsung product. I have owned a bunch of them over the last three years, and they all had issues one way or another.

Sony is usually at the top, however, I am somewhat reconsidering that. TCL and Hisense are making me very curious, and maybe I should give them a try.

If all else fails, I have always had good luck with LG, when the TV was newer, but they wear out over time.

Vizio was always great, however lately, they have received a lot of bad reviews lately.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Does Samsung still build Sony TV's? Years ago they pimped out their TVs to Samsung to build. But back then it was actually a step up for Sony as Samsung was kicking their butts in technology and advancement at the time. They were hungry for a spot at the big boy table and quality was of utmost importance. I guess since they sit near the top of the pecking order these days they only care about sales and not quality any longer. Maybe Sony needs to start building for Samsung now, LOL

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have decided that I am not happy with my Sony A9G, because I am wanting to watch news, weather channels, and other things with static images for long periods of time. I have been using 75/77 inch screens for the last five years. I am looking to drop down to a 65”. Pixel density will be tighter and so forth.

At any rate, What is the best bang for the buck out there in the LED LCD line of TV’s? I will note that I will not buy a Samsung, because I have had nothing but bad units with eight of them over the last four years.

Will I really have any issues with a 65” TV from about 10 foot from the screen? (Logistically, a 65” would be easier to handle being only my wife and myself to install it.)

Sent you a pm. Or started a conversation as they call it now. Check your conversations.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts