Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lee120
good idea or bad
Well why do you want to go back, or do I even need to ask? :) I say go for it, if you're not happy with Tivo, then go back. I personally think UTV is better than Tivo, but thats just my opinion. I like the features better. As some of us on here have said before, UTV ROCKS! :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

If you're willing to pay the extra $5 a month ($9.95 for UTV Service) compared to $5 for Tivo... I'd say go for it.

If you want to protect your investment in UTV (or Tivo) you could add DTV's Protection Plan for less then $8 a month ($10 early-cancel fee before 1 year contract). Just in case your DVR of choice fails to work proper you can get "free" replacements.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was ready to add a Tivo recently but my wife and I used someone else's Tivo for a while and there is just no comparison as there are about 10 features that the Ultimate has which Tivo does not!! We have 4 Ultimate tv's and will use them til they are no more!! Your first mistake was switching in the first place- it would be a worst mistake not to switch back!!!!! I'll pray for you if you DON't switch back!!! Good luck in any case.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As far as I can tell there are only 2 things to miss with UTV compared to TiVo:

1) $5/mo. as David stated above

2) The DVR showcase. Would anyone really miss that?!?!?

The speed & elegance of UTV are awesome compared side to side with TiVo.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I just got a DirecTivo. I switched only because of financial reasons.

UTV is a better unit. They are very similar obviously but I really don't believe anyone who has used both would really say the Tivo is better. I just don't get that. The series recording works so much better in UTV (my biggest complaint w the Tivo) and I miss being able to watch a show when I check out the menu or pre-recorded shows. The menus also seem more practical and less gimicky than the Tivo... one button to record within the guide seems like a no-brainer to me. Why doesn't Tivo do this? Oh, and they don't group shows into folders like UTV does (although this is supposed to be coming).

The only thing I like better on the Tivo is that the search feature will bring up items that match the first letter or 2 you search on.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i like Tivo because I can record my programs in HD :D

well, i will once my HD Tivo gets here late in March!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
slocko, how are you going to get your HD Tivo in March? They don't ship until March 26, then they have to reship them out to you unless you're going to pick yours up in person since you live in NJ.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
if the dealer has them by the last week of march, he has promised to ship them out that week. from where he is, to my house is only one day, even if it's shipped ground. it's one of the advantages of living in NJ when you buy from NY. free overnight shipping ;)

only the ability to record HD made me dump UTV. I love the interface and really didn't want to have to learn a new one. but things change and we have to change along with them.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
slocko, I've got 2 Tivos, standalones, I had the first one in Atlanta thru a freak deal. How does the DirecTivo function in regards to the standalone unit by Philips? Do you have any info about that or will it be even better. Of course you can watch 1 channel while recording another or record 2 channels at the same time but as far as the guide etc. is the functionality the same basically.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've had both DTivo and UTV. I would still be using the UTV's if they didn't die off on me (tuner failures on 1 of the tuners on both of them).

The worst thing about the DTivo? The dang phone line nag... that bugs me. Plus the recording the "Repeats"... Plus not foldering recorded shows... plus the slow guide.

Well at least it's tuners both work!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've pre-ordered the HD Tivo and I figured I'd totally switch out my two UTV's at that point for the Directivo. I've seen numerous posts that people who have switched are now wishing they had the UTV back. The fact the HD Tivo will only record 30 or so High Def hours, I figure I will still need either a Directivo (with two 120 gb drives) or my two UTV's with 120 gb drives for the standard def stuff. I'm still on the fence which direction to go. It would be great if DTV made some type of statement as to how long the UTV's will be supported. As the numbers dwindle, at some point I would think they will do a UTV switch out to tivo with incentives for doing so. So here on the fence I sit......

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
sorry I can't answer your question because one, my first tivo is being installed saturday and second, even if i did have a tivo, i for sure wouldn't have the stand alone to compare with.

from what i have read the main differences are the dual tuners, better recording quality since it records the raw signal from the satellite, and maybe the guide goes out more days.

other than that the interface should be exactly the same. the standalone versions have the HMO, which the directv versions do not.

Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
slocko, I've got 2 Tivos, standalones, I had the first one in Atlanta thru a freak deal. How does the DirecTivo function in regards to the standalone unit by Philips? Do you have any info about that or will it be even better. Of course you can watch 1 channel while recording another or record 2 channels at the same time but as far as the guide etc. is the functionality the same basically.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I think they will be supported for a long time, since they still support very old hardware even today. But I think over time we will see more and more features introduced to the Tivo line while UTV stagnates.

As drives get bigger, I see DirecTV adding a monster 300 gig drive to a tivo and using part of it to download movies to offer pseudo on demand video.

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
I've pre-ordered the HD Tivo and I figured I'd totally switch out my two UTV's at that point for the Directivo. I've seen numerous posts that people who have switched are now wishing they had the UTV back. The fact the HD Tivo will only record 30 or so High Def hours, I figure I will still need either a Directivo (with two 120 gb drives) or my two UTV's with 120 gb drives for the standard def stuff. I'm still on the fence which direction to go. It would be great if DTV made some type of statement as to how long the UTV's will be supported. As the numbers dwindle, at some point I would think they will do a UTV switch out to tivo with incentives for doing so. So here on the fence I sit......

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not much of a UTV expert, but my first tivo was the one without a builtin directv tuner. I upgraded to 100GB and could only get about 33 hrs of best quality recording. Because it changed channels via the IR port, there were several times it screwed up changing channels. With my directivo, I have 160GBs, and because the directv tuner is builtin, it records at best quality at a full 100% or approx 160hrs, and it never screws up the channel change.

The other great thing about the directivo, is that it's free each mth, if you get premier choice. I currently subscribe to premier choice for $20 off special. So it's a great deal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by napa_newbie
The other great thing about the directivo, is that it's free each mth, if you get premier choice. I currently subscribe to premier choice for $20 off special. So it's a great deal.
Good point napa_newbie...I think I'll call DTV and see what deal I can get if I trade up to premiere. I subscribe to all available tiers except Cinemax. Between no more UTV fee at $10 a month and possibly $20 off premiere for 6 months...that makes things clearer financially. I'm sure I will get used to the Directivo, I'm just old and set in my UTV ways! :cool:

Slocko: I hear ya...With hard drive prices dropping like a rock, I would like to see large swapable drives, if possible, being used for PVR's.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.