AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going duel subs & my budget is 1,500 so far SVS PB2000 is on my list but i wanted to know about more company's offering duel sub packages & on the same level as SVS. Room size 18x25(living room so it open area) Blu-Rays 90% music 10%...Thxs

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
A pair of PSA XV15se's would run you $1,699. If you wanted to save some money off your $1,500 budget, which is almost unheard of around here..lol.. you could get a pair of Rythmik LV12r subs for $1,078, shipped. The PB2000 subs for $1,500 would be great and of course SVS has great warranty, trial period and customer service.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A pair of PSA XV15se's would run you $1,699. If you wanted to save some money off your $1,500 budget, which is almost unheard of around here..lol.. you could get a pair of Rythmik LV12r subs for $1,078, shipped. The PB2000 subs for $1,500 would be great and of course SVS has great warranty, trial period and customer service.
k

Thanks I'm on the fence & don't know which one to choose SVS PB2000 or PSA . Which one spec wise will perform better ?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
k

Thanks I'm on the fence & don't know which one to choose SVS PB2000 or PSA . Which one spec wise will perform better ?
Well every room and set up is different. In general, the XV15se will give you more overall output and they have 15" drivers compared to the PB2000 12" driver. One thing I happen to like about SVS subs, which some don't like, is they have a limiter on the amp that keeps the sub from trying to do something it simply can't. I would prefer a sub not try and reproduce any LFE it simply isn't capable of handling properly. Bad port noise or even bottoming out isn't something I want to have to deal with.

Check out this chart. I believe you add around 3dB to the PB12-NSD to give you the PB-2000. Add between 1-2dB to the XV15 to give you the XV15se. That won't be exact, but it gives you a ballpark idea of how much more output across the frequency range the PSA will give you over the SVS.
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
Well every room and set up is different. In general, the XV15se will give you more overall output and they have 15" drivers compared to the PB2000 12" driver. One thing I happen to like about SVS subs, which some don't like, is they have a limiter on the amp that keeps the sub from trying to do something it simply can't. I would prefer a sub not try and reproduce any LFE it simply isn't capable of handling properly. Bad port noise or even bottoming out isn't something I want to have to deal with.

Check out this chart. I believe you add around 3dB to the PB12-NSD to give you the PB-2000. Add between 1-2dB to the XV15 to give you the XV15se. That won't be exact, but it gives you a ballpark idea of how much more output across the frequency range the PSA will give you over the SVS.
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems
The XV15se has 5db more output around 20hz vs the XV15 and sounds a little tighter. The XV15 actually might have a hair more output around 50-60hz and extends a little deeper. I have never driven my XV15's or SE versions to the point they chuffed or made bad sounds. That is testing 1,2, and 3 subs with 20hz test tones and driving them until they are fully compressing.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
$1500 is a good number to work with for 1 sub, but tough number to work with for 2.

Since others have suggested you increasing your budget to $1750, I would go with Hsu VTF-3 MK5.

VTF-3 MK5 is newer and averages 1.2 db higher output than XV-15SE. That is 20% more sub.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$1500 is a good number to work with for 1 sub, but tough number to work with for 2.

Since others have suggested you increasing your budget to $1750, I would go with Hsu VTF-3 MK5.

VTF-3 MK5 is newer and averages 1.2 db higher output than XV-15SE. That is 20% more sub.
Okay Hsu sound really good & i could go 1750.00, Do HSU offer package deals & I think they make you pay for shipping ?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Basshead81 is recommending XV15 coz I think he owns them; but the general consensus is they are bad a$$ subs in terms of price/performance ratio.

My vote for PSA in that price.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Okay Hsu sound really good & i could go 1750.00, Do HSU offer package deals & I think they make you pay for shipping ?
Dual VTF3s gets you a small discount: 1727 shipped. If you can push your budget that far, that would be my pick over the PSA and SVS subs, not just because it can get louder but because the response can be shaped which makes it more fun to play with.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Dual PSAs with 2x4 minidsp + UMIK 1 for around $1740 from Tom and shape the hell out of FR. Tons of flexibility IMO

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The XV15se has 5db more output around 20hz vs the XV15 and sounds a little tighter. The XV15 actually might have a hair more output around 50-60hz and extends a little deeper. I have never driven my XV15's or SE versions to the point they chuffed or made bad sounds. That is testing 1,2, and 3 subs with 20hz test tones and driving them until they are fully compressing.
The XV15se has a 1.7dB advantage from 20Hz-31.5Hz over the XV15 per the CEA 2010 ratings. Less than 1dB advantage from 40Hz-63Hz. I wouldn't expect the XV15/se to have any problem with a 20Hz test tone, as that's within it's range.

An example of what I'm referring to is the PSA V1500 I just returned. Audyssey set it to -4, I bumped it to +2, as I always run my subs +5 or 6 hotter than what Audyssey come up with. I also use the dynamic EQ setting, but not dynamic volume. Dialing in the sub while watching the new Ninja Turtles movie it really performed well. Also sounded great with music. However, the grenade scene in WWZ really created distortion, bad chuffing and sounded really lousy. I had to re-run the scene and back off the sub level to keep it from bottoming out. The opening of Edge of Tomorrow was far worse. The sub was simply trying to hit LFE it couldn't possibly perform. In my situation, it just appeared the V1500/ICE amp combo doesn't like dynamic EQ. Without it on it wasn't so much an issue, but then again the sub sounded neutered in comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dual VTF3s gets you a small discount: 1727 shipped. If you can push your budget that far, that would be my pick over the PSA and SVS subs, not just because it can get louder but because the response can be shaped which makes it more fun to play with.
What's your opinion on the HSU VTF-15H ....2 of them 1700 with shipping & no 30 day return which I'm cool with.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
What's your opinion on the HSU VTF-15H ....2 of them 1700 with shipping & no 30 day return which I'm cool with.
Go with 2 VTF-3 MK5s.

VTF-3 MK5 is Hsu's newest offerings with a better driver and more potent amp. Compared to Hsu VTF-15H, it has 1.5 dB less output @ 16 Hz, but it has as much as 3.8 dB advantage in the other frequencies. VTF-3 MK5 is the best ported sub at under $900 shipped, period.

There is a reason why Hsu VTF-15H is still available. Even at discount pricing, it is only $30 cheaper than VTF-3 Mk5, the 2nd best offering of Hsu. People tend to pick the newer product.

IMO, Hsu's satin black finish has the highest WAF among all ID sub standard offerings. The finish looks expensive, and does not feel like your wall. And you can still have the 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Now, if you are ok with 2 subs @ $1727 shipped, how about 2 subs @ $1800 shipped? (I don't often encourage people to increase their budget. Trust me.)

If you are ok with 2 @ $1800 shipped, then 2 RA Echo 15s will give you almost 40% more sub than 2 Hsu VTF-3 MK5s.

You can thank me later but your neighbors are gonna hate me.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Now, if you are ok with 2 subs @ $1727 shipped, how about 2 subs @ $1800 shipped? (I don't often encourage people to increase their budget. Trust me.)

If you are ok with 2 @ $1800 shipped, then 2 RA Echo 15s will give you almost 40% more sub than 2 Hsu VTF-3 MK5s.

You can thank me later but your neighbors are gonna hate me.

lol.... By this weekend you guys will his budget will be up to $2500. :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm going duel subs & my budget is 1,500 so far SVS PB2000 is on my list but i wanted to know about more company's offering duel sub packages & on the same level as SVS. Room size 18x25(living room so it open area) Blu-Rays 90% music 10%...Thxs
It will help if you also let people know how loud you listen to your movies. What is your goals? Some people want the tactical feel down low, some wants a musical chest thump which is in the upper LFR, some want the low ear pressure ULF (Which you can forget in a open room unless you have lots of $$$), some wants to crack there sheet rock and/or piss off there neighbors, and some are just happy with some moderate deep bass to enhance there movies and music,
And then there is the wife y that may go..... Oh that's too loud, or those are ugly.

Also, keep in mind that ported subs are larger than sealed subs. There is pros and cons of sealed vs ported and will start a big debate, but the ported are generally what most people choose for movies, especially in open rooms. And since your movies is 90%, that is where the attention will be focused.

There is a really good buy on the new JTR cap 1400 right now. With your budget, you would only be able to get 1. But if you thought you could swing another in the future, this would be a room shaking sub to get. (But they are big size subs, but there is bigger ones)

If you want good clean bass, without the tactical feel but will vibrate things in your house, then I can say the dual PSA XS15se will be a good choice because I had them. They are sealed down firing, and doesn't take up a lot of room. But there is a lot of good choices. I only mentioned those because I had experienced them.

The best advice is take your time. If you are new on here. Here is the leading ID sub manufacturers on the forum here. PSA (Power Sound Audio), RA (Reaction Audio), HSU, Rythmik, SVS, JTR, Seaton Sound, Funk Audio. (JTR, Seaton, Funk, are pretty much out of your price range but I listed them anyway). But Seaton has no web site, so you would have to browse his own forum for info.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts