AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a change from my 2 year old 40" LED Samsung to a 51" Samsung 3D plasma. I have read all the things about break-in as this is my first plasma TV. I think I have everything I know just after the break-in period is there problems watching widescreen movies?? We watch movies a few times a week just wanted to get a clear answer. Thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
Can you specify the problem you are wondering about?

If you are wondering if there will be black bars on the top and bottom off most movies still, then the answer is yes. This has nothing to do with a defect in the tv, just a difference in the ratio the movie was filmed in vs what the tv is designed to display. You can stretch the image, but you may notice distortion or you can zoom it in, but you'll lose a bit of the image.

If you are worried that the bars will burn into the screen, don't. Unless all you watch is widescreen movies 100% of the time, don't worry about it. Even watching LotR Extended Edition Trilogy one after another (15hrs) will not effect the tv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I knew the bars would be there just wondered about the burn in. Like I said I have never had a plasma before so just making sure. I have been reading about break-in and IR. I was going to get a Samsung LED but after reading here wanted to see plasma and compared both and wow never noticed the difference before.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be careful about giving in your LED for PLASMA

A huge step up in quality even though the price will be probably less than what you payed by 500$ +

Yet the quality of plasmas aren't surpassed by led's or lcd's

The thing you need to be careful about is BURN IN

Yes of course , sellers will tell you it's a thing of the past, people on this forum will tell you it never happened to them or neither one of their 16 000 internet friends ,

but let me tell you this

it does happen & as easy as just playing a game once in a while

I did a break in period of 400 hours

I even called panasonic to make sure if i needed to make one they said i was nuts & go enjoy the tv as is without restrain

I managed to finish the 400 hours anyways

One week i decided to go on a NHL 2011 marathon

Played about 1 game a night , closed the tv after cause it was bed time ,

did that maybe 7 days in a row maybe 3 games a night

that was enough on THX MODE to BURN IN THE TV

I tried 4 months of white wash , color wash , name it i all tried them

It never 100% went away

sure it wasn't seened... on images... but still managed to get it within 10 hours of gaming only

If your playing movies everytime & washing the screen after each usage.... or watch full screen stuff plasma is for you

but for the rest.... im sceptic.

Panasonic ignored me on this issue , the place where i bought it from too ,

and guess what?

when i called them back to buy a new tv they acknowledge the problem cause i wasn't trying to send it back anymore , and they told me to be honest i wouldn't game on a plasma ever......

his initial speech when he sold me the tv was ''PLASMA ARE FOR GAMING'' buy it at all cost you won't regret it , burn in are impossible with pixel orbiter

Yeah yeah yeah yeah..................

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm on my 2nd plasma now. My first was TH-50PX85U (panny) and 2nd PN51D7000(sammy).

I've gamed extensively on both, I've watched the NBA playoffs (go mavs) over and over and over again, watch hundreds of spongebob episodes with black bars on the side, hundreds of movies with black bars on the tops and bottom and have never even seen IR let alone burn it.

I've never owned an LED/LCD so I can't speak on their PQ but the plasmas are AWESOME.

I don't know about an ultra slim mount but I bought a cheetah tilt mount from amazon for $30 and it's great.

Also, I'd highly recommend the PowerBridge TSFP-WH UltraSlim Total Solution Cable Management Kit. You need the ultra slim one for Sammys due to the plug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks

I have been using only CRT TV 29INCHES for all my life, now i want to switch and after evaluating a few websites and keeping my budget in mind, i have come to the following 3 models, but the problem is whether i should buy lcd or led or plasma... can u ppl suggest

SAMSUNG LCD 40D550 ( 5 series)

SAMSUNG LED 40D5003 ( 5 series)

OR

SAMSUNG PLASMA 51D450 (4 series, but 51inches)

Your suggestion would be highly appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
Careful of the FF:

(Only owned a cheap 42PW350 but read the problem can appear on even the higher tier of plasmas)

"Brightness POPS" - google or search here "Auto Brightness Limiter". Said to be present on all new plasmas and is independend of energy saving features that dim the screen. Prepare for sudden dimming and brightening that doesn't happen with LCDs.

"Burn Ins and IRs" - if you game a lot or want marathons with logos and bars.. you'll feel at peace with LCDs. It's the "waiting" and "hmmm" game with PLasmas that may lead to "WTF it's not going away".

"Horizontal Line Bleeds" - just youtube or google it. Or don't. There's no turning back if you see this.

worse "Glare" - be prepared to watch in the dark if you're sensitive to it.

"Flickering" - you may be sensitive to it. I am but it's not too obtrusive but still.. None on all our LCDs.

All I really like about he plasma are the response time and ghosting and price to screen ratio but overall wouldn't suggest it for someone who is OCD and want a more hassle free investment.

Ofc, I suggest waiting out for more professional comments.

Afterall, just owned a cheap plasma set here (42PW350 not even a week old).

If plasma still isn't dead in 2 years, I may give it another try. (Mid range this time not lowest tier)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers /forum/post/20973660

Careful of the FF:

(Only owned a cheap 42PW350 but read the problem can appear on even the higher tier of plasmas)

"Brightness POPS" - google or search here "Auto Brightness Limiter". Said to be present on all new plasmas and is independend of energy saving features that dim the screen. Prepare for sudden dimming and brightening that doesn't happen with LCDs.

"Burn Ins and IRs" - if you game a lot or want marathons with logos and bars.. you'll feel at peace with LCDs. It's the "waiting" and "hmmm" game with PLasmas that may lead to "WTF it's not going away".

"Horizontal Line Bleeds" - just youtube or google it. Or don't. There's no turning back if you see this.

worse "Glare" - be prepared to watch in the dark if you're sensitive to it.

"Flickering" - you may be sensitive to it. I am but it's not too obtrusive but still.. None on all our LCDs.

All I really like about he plasma are the response time and ghosting and price to screen ratio but overall wouldn't suggest it for someone who is OCD and want a more hassle free investment.

Ofc, I suggest waiting out for more professional comments.

Afterall, just owned a cheap plasma set here (42PW350 not even a week old).

If plasma still isn't dead in 2 years, I may give it another try. (Mid range this time not lowest tier)

And the really OCD will notice ghosting trails on LCD's, uneven blackness with clouds and flashlighting, poor viewing angles and a host of other issues..lol There is no perfect tv. My friend that has a 4 year old Pionner 720p plasma just bought a Sharp Quatron. After 4 days he stated he hates it. Said everything looks fake and digitized and overly sharp like a cartoon...even on movie mode. He is returning it for a plasma. The only ways I would buy an LCD would either be a top of the line local dimming model, (which costs far more per sq. inch of picture than a good plasma), or if I was using it in a very bright environment, or if I gamed a lot. Plasma is superior to most LCD's for home theater use.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I currently own a 1998 Mitsubishi 55" Widescreen 1080i CRT rear projection TV. In about a month I'm going to purchase a new TV finally. I'm leaning towards the LG 60" Plasma 60PZ750. Good choice??? Almost all of my watching will be HD comcast cable or Widescreen DVD/Blu-ray Dics, don't own a gaming console so not conserned with that.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck /forum/post/20974035

And the really OCD will notice ghosting trails on LCD's, uneven blackness with clouds and flashlighting, poor viewing angles and a host of other issues..lol There is no perfect tv. My friend that has a 4 year old Pionner 720p plasma just bought a Sharp Quatron. After 4 days he stated he hates it. Said everything looks fake and digitized and overly sharp like a cartoon...even on movie mode. He is returning it for a plasma. The only ways I would buy an LCD would either be a top of the line local dimming model, (which costs far more per sq. inch of picture than a good plasma), or if I was using it in a very bright environment, or if I gamed a lot. Plasma is superior to most LCD's for home theater use.

Yep . I so agree there ain't a perfect one yet
(Why aren't there 16:9 CRTs btw?) maybe OLEDs in a few years when they get affordable and have longer lifespans.

I still think there are way more considerations for Plasmas than LCDs and wouldn't recommend them unless they know what they're really in for.

Most people I know don't even like calibrated sets. They prefer the "show over saturated blinding stuff".

I find em more versatile as well.. they still can produce above acceptable video movie quality, no burn ins (gaming and computing [PC gaming graphics wh0re] input lag may be an issue tho) and no form of ABL (more annoying than IR IMO).

Again, it's subjective and it's not that I disagree w/ you. Just wanted to share LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.