AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unless you have the Sony 34XBR910, by going to a RPTV you will be gaining technically in resolution; directi-views are currently, with the exception of the XBR910, at the 800-900 lines department while tube RPTV's quote 1400 or so. DLP, plasma and LCD vary depending upon the engine used, from EDTV to full 1080i HDTV resolution.

Blacks and color depends upon the image technology used, with CRT RPTV being considered best. I think that the finest direct view's beat the finest RPTV's in absolute blacks.

·
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dinosnake.

I've got the 40XBR but have had warranty issues with it and sony may be willing to let me swap it for the 57in sony RPTV. Trying to figure out what the PQ differences will be. I've checked them out at the store but even the 40 at the store gives a picture that's different than the 40 I have at home, so it's hard to know until I get the RPTV in the house. But your saying the resolution will be better and the blacks and things like that will be dependant on the quality of the RPTV? How does sony's RPTV's rank to others RPTV's? Dino or anyone else, would YOU trade the 40XBR in for the 57in sony RPTV based on PQ only. That's my main concern. I'll appreciate any comments as the time frame for getting this done is compressed. Thanks guys,

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
If the 57-inch is calibrated and if there isn't alot of ambient light and if you're viewing it from an ideal height and angle it will look better than a calibrated 40-inch direct view. If all those things aren't true the 40 inch will look better. The 34XBR910 just flat out beats the 57-inch. If given the choice I would raise alot of Cain, but take the 57-inch from Sony. They'll probably send you a good one. If you calibrate it you'll be happy--if you're not going to calibrate it stay with the 40-inch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My personal opinion is I have seen no rptv that would have the picture quality you get with that 40xbr. plus the viewing angle would be limited, brightness, contrast not as good. just my 2 cents.

·
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I do this, I will have it calibrated without hesitation. Yes, the viewing angle is perhaps my biggest concern. Light and reflection and such won't be a problem as I black out the room anyway. The 910 is not an option because of the room size. It's pretty big and the 910 would look very small.

At this point, if they called tomorrow, I'd have to go with the 57 based on what I've seen, heard from you guys, and most of all, my bad experiences with sony's tubes. I'm really hoping that any perceived PQ loss would be made up for with the much bigger screen size. DVD and HD are my only concerns. I will watch a lot of SD, but as long as the HD and DVD stuff looks killer, I don't care how well the set does SD. At any rate, thanks for the help guys. If you want to add anything feel free, I'll read it, and apply it to what I've already learned. Have a good one,

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Hitachi 57 CRT RPTV and I came from a 36" Hitachi Direct-View which did 480p. After tweaking, my 57" DVD picture beats the 36", no contest.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Woodrow,

If you setup your new rptv using a video calibration disc and some fine tuning by eye you shouldn't have a problem. You will have more depth in terms of colors and detail that you just cannot get from a direct view set even if it is the xbr. The detail in the picture, especially with hd and dvd is good to say the least. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.