Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A friend of mine is selling a NEC 9PG+ with about 6500 hours on it.

I currently own an ECP3100 powered by a HTPC.

I was wondering if this would be a "good" jump in quality or if I would be wasting my money on trying to upgrade to this PJ?

My ECP works good, but I am always looking for something better... :)

The NEC seems to be in good shape with only small burn-in.

If worth it, what would be a fair price for the NEC with about 6500 hours?

Thanks for all the help.

Arno

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a 9pg+ with 6508 hours on it with no visible tube wear. I paid 1250 for it. Setting it up has been a little frustrating but only because i didnt read enough. There are tons of posts on here about pg's. I cant comment on improvements having seen only one crt.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A properly set up PGplus is a beautiful machine indeed. It is, I believe, brighter and the colors will be better. NEC colors are the best around, and for the price it can compete with bigger units. Hi-definition is beautiful on it, and really dialed in it can give a 9" unit a good run for the money. You can nitpick that a 9" can resolve more detail, true, but the PG's are VERY good. Visually it's pretty close unless you get into extreme scan rates. The PGplus is in my opinion the best bang for the buck, right now.

But them I'm somewhat biased, owning several. The downside is that it's a learning curve to set the beast up. But keep in mind that these are true data projectors that we are using for film. As data projectors, they have more adjustments to allow tight convergence and focus to the extreme corners (if done right). Thus the difficulty in initial setup. Nothing worthwhile comes easy...

Marc

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marc,

I guess that your avatar gives you up about NEC PJs... ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I already own and setup an ECP3100.

Is a NEC really MUCH harder or just more complicated because more fine-tuning?

On another note, is 6500 hours too much for a PJ like that?

What if I could spend a little more and get a Marquee 8000 with a little less hours?

Would that be a wiser investment? (I cannot afford to blow $1000+ every year, the wife is pregnant now and I feel that this purchase will be the last for a while... :) )

Anybody with such a good PJ for sale? ;)

Thanks,

Arno

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, if you go past the 8000 line of the Marquee's, the difference is small. From what you have NOW, the difference is pretty big. I have a PGplus with 8500 hours on it and the tubes. It was run properly, and you CAN'T tell. Hours don't mean much, tube condition does. I'd go for the best set of tubes, and what you feel comfortable with.

Marc

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think the majority of users get frustrated with Nec's because they use slightly different terminology. For instance there is no "size adjustment" rather a amplitude that must be applied to all three tubes. If you look at the manual and see what all the diffrent adjusments really do you can get one roughly set up in about 15 min.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tinman
Well, if you go past the 8000 line of the Marquee's, the difference is small.

Marc
Could you please explain what you mean?

I am not sure that it makes sense (in my brain that is :) )

Genocide1,

Thanks for the info.

I will try to keep that in mind if I end up with the NEC.

Tinman,

Anything for sale? ;-)

Arno

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Nothing for sale, no tubes right now. The later Marquees, like the 8500, will compete with the NEC.

Light output, sharpness, color, etc. And the Marquee is a good projector, in general.

The NEC has different adjustments, and some different terms for them. I think people mainly get confused with some. It's really not hard to converge if you understand the process. The NEC is not as modular as the Marquee, but still pretty easy to work on if needed. Parts are still available, although it is not supported like the Marquees. I think between the Higher end Marquees and the NEC's, it's a toss-up.

Marc

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marc,

Thanks for the info.

It makes it a bit clearer now.

Since you do not have anything for sale, interested in a good condition ECP 3100 with RGB boards, Panaflo fan mods,etc... ? :)

Just trying... :D

I am going to try to find a decent unit.

Once again, what price would be considered a "good" price for an 8500 or the NEC?

Thanks,

Arno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.