AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Onkyo HTIB 6.1 system in 2004, can't remember the model number, and loved it. I had it for 4 years before deciding to sell it and buy separates. I've had an Onkyo 805 receiver, Klipsch speakers,Energy speakers, Mirage speakers, BIC Acoustech speakers, Pioneer Elite vsx-01txh reciever, and Polk speakers.

I think my biggest problem is bang for buck. If I pay tons for the setups, which some where over $3,000 then I just didn't see the increase in performance worth it for that much more. Don't get me wrong I love my audio as much as the PQ.

After giving up my theater room and moving the stuff to the living room I'm still in the process of figuring out a good setup. I'm currently selling off most of my gear to accomodate this. What I'm looking at doing is picking up the Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB and with my left over funds getting a Panasonic Pt-ae4000U projector and nice screen. Just wondering if anybody has gone from big name brand separates to a top of the line HTIB like the Onkyo HT-S9100THX system and were satisfied enough by it?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I wouldn’t do it. It’s one of the better HTiBs but you can do better if you try…and it seems like you already know how to try…so I don’t get why you’d do this, unless you don’t have the energy to find something that would perform better.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/18144399

I wouldn't do it. It's one of the better HTiBs but you can do better if you tryand it seems like you already know how to tryso I don't get why you'd do this, unless you don't have the energy to find something that would perform better.

Well, if I do it, it would only be temporary until we move or build a house. So i'd be looking at using it for about 2 years. After we move I'm gonna have a dedicated theater room again.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It's up to you, I'm sure you know what you're doing....I'm just saying that there are some decent speakers to be found looking around. I guess I assumed you'd be able to keep some bits and pieces from the components you already have like the sub, or surrounds, or receiver, or whatever - and just downsize the front speakers or the sub for example, and find something appropriate. And the Onkyo 805, from everything I've read, seems like it's one of the most popular receivers they made...and maybe worth holding onto instead of selling?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickysmits /forum/post/18147840

It's up to you, I'm sure you know what you're doing....I'm just saying that there are some decent speakers to be found looking around. I guess I assumed you'd be able to keep some bits and pieces from the components you already have like the sub, or surrounds, or receiver, or whatever - and just downsize the front speakers or the sub for example, and find something appropriate. And the Onkyo 805, from everything I've read, seems like it's one of the most popular receivers they made...and maybe worth holding onto instead of selling?

I will still have my BIC-100 subwoofer and would also use the Onkyo HTIB's sub so I'd use two subs. I don't have the Onkyo 805 anymore, got rid of it long ago. I currently have the Pioneer Elite vsx-01txh receiver.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
An Onkyo system would be a quick and dirty approach, and if you just want to have a system and be done, I'm sure it'll be fine.

But you already have a decent receiver to begin with, and a sub, I'd just get a packaged set of speakers. It'll at least be as good as the Onkyo speakers, and you can keep your current stuff. Plus, if you get better speakers for fronts later, you can relegate the packaged ones to surround or sell them off (people are ALWAYS looking for speakers.)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy /forum/post/18144282

I bought an Onkyo HTIB 6.1 system in 2004, can't remember the model number, and loved it. I had it for 4 years before deciding to sell it and buy separates. I've had an Onkyo 805 receiver, Klipsch speakers,Energy speakers, Mirage speakers, BIC Acoustech speakers, Pioneer Elite vsx-01txh reciever, and Polk speakers.

I think my biggest problem is bang for buck. If I pay tons for the setups, which some where over $3,000 then I just didn't see the increase in performance worth it for that much more. Don't get me wrong I love my audio as much as the PQ.

After giving up my theater room and moving the stuff to the living room I'm still in the process of figuring out a good setup. I'm currently selling off most of my gear to accomodate this. What I'm looking at doing is picking up the Onkyo HT-S9100THX HTIB and with my left over funds getting a Panasonic Pt-ae4000U projector and nice screen. Just wondering if anybody has gone from big name brand separates to a top of the line HTIB like the Onkyo HT-S9100THX system and were satisfied enough by it?

Count me in. Schedule THAT conversion the day after my funeral.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.