AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using the zoom method with My HD1 and a Carada 136".

If I were to go with a Prismasonic FE1500, and a KD scaler, how much would I benefit image wise? Would It just be convenience, or would the image be bettor or brighter? ( in other words is it worth another $3K?)

I am particularly interested in someone who made the transition, not just theory.

Thanks

Tony G.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I went from 720p projector with lens, to zooming with new 1080p projector, then 1080p projector with lens. My screen is about the same size as yours.

It's definitely better with the lens. Image is brighter.

But, you're asking me to quantify "how much better?" I bought my lens for

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleonard /forum/post/0

I have a HTPC so a scaler wasn't necessary.

What software do you use for scaling? Is it supposed to be comparable to the scaling from an external video processor? I'm looking to set up an HTPC soon and would eventually want it to do scaling.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleonard /forum/post/0

I went from 720p projector with lens, to zooming with new 1080p projector, then 1080p projector with lens. My screen is about the same size as yours.

It's definitely better with the lens. Image is brighter.

But, you're asking me to quantify "how much better?" I bought my lens for

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/0

What software do you use for scaling? Is it supposed to be comparable to the scaling from an external video processor? I'm looking to set up an HTPC soon and would eventually want it to do scaling.

I use TheaterTek DVD software. It lets you make custom aspect ratios, so you can make the required stretch/squeeze as needed. I don't have any firsthand experience with external scalers, so I can't really say. I can't imagine it's any better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
One thing to consider is your current throw ratio. If you're already at min throw and you move to a longer throw to optimize lens performance, you might not even wind up with a brighter image. OTOH, if you are at a long throw now, simply moving to a shorter throw might give you all the brightness you need. A shorter throw also makes it easier to perform the manual focus when changing aspect ratios. And getting the focus perfect every time will definitely improve PQ.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark /forum/post/0

One thing to consider is your current throw ratio. If you're already at min throw and you move to a longer throw to optimize lens performance, you might not even wind up with a brighter image. OTOH, if you are at a long throw now, simply moving to a shorter throw might give you all the brightness you need. A shorter throw also makes it easier to perform the manual focus when changing aspect ratios. And getting the focus perfect every time will definitely improve PQ.

I am at the shortest throw I can be at when I zoom in for the larger size.

When I zoom out for 16X9 I am not as close as poss.

Does this mean I would be able to move closer with a lens.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar /forum/post/0

I am at the shortest throw I can be at when I zoom in for the larger size.

When I zoom out for 16X9 I am not as close as poss.

Does this mean I would be able to move closer with a lens.

Thanks

Tony

I believe you could technically move closer since the lens would stretch the image out to the current size. However, lenses usually perform better at longer throws so that probably wouldn't be recommended. Right now you are in the perfect throw position for using the zoom method and maximizing brightness (I'm doing the same thing on a smaller scale). Using a lens at a longer (recommended) throw may result in very little (if any) brightness gain. If you're happy with your current PQ and aren't bothered by the inconvenience, I would stick with what you have and put the money you save into HD-DVD/Blu-Ray equipment/movies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.