AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to use a spare Linn 5120 center channel speaker on top of my bedroom TV. It's overkill, but ...

Anyway, I'd like to combine both R&L signals into a mono signal if possible. Is it possible to simply use an RCA splitter "backwards" and turn it into a "joiner?" My options are (BTW, the TV outputs both fixed level and variable audio out):

1. Take R&L into a "joiner" into amp

2. Take R/Mono out of the TV into an amp

3. Take R&L variable into a preamp set to mono

4. Take R&L fixed into a preamp set to mono

If it's as easy as #1, I'd sort of prefer that if it means that I don't lose audio that's only in one channel of the source.

#2 is easy, but I lose a channel of source

#3 I'm not sure will work with gain matching

#4 is not preferred, because the only spare preamp I have does not have a remote, and the whole point is to lie in bed and watch/listen.

I guess there's a number 5 (L&R into a stereo amp, and bi-amp the speaker) but that would mean, for instance, midrange/woofer based on left channel, tweeter right. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I'm also not sure about the amplification, but I'm leaning towards an inexpensive stereo amp that has signal sensing, and then bi-amping. There aren't that many inexpensive mono amps (the Marantz is the only one I know, and it has a trigger but doesn't signal sense).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, caveats, warnings, etc.

Claude

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
If your TV has a mono output, use it.

Unfortunately, connecting two outputs directly together is likely to damage them. By itself, a Y cable wouldn't be appropriate. A simple resistor network should do the job, though: a 600 Ohm resistor in series with each output, connected together to another 600 Ohm resistor to ground, for example.

If you don't understand what I'm getting at, you'll need to find someone who frequents Radio Shack's component shelves...

Of course, any advice you get for free is worth what you paid for it. It's your responsibility if you fry your electronics.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
There's a really low-tech solution with just speaker wires that might be good enough for a bedroom TV. How good it will sound depends, in part, on the relative impedences and efficiencies of the side and center speakers. Wire it like this....

Right amp (+) to right speaker (+)

Left amp (+) to left speaker (+)

Right speaker (-) to center speaker (+)

Left speaker (-) to center speaker (+)

Center speaker (-) to right amp (-)

Center speaker (-) to left amp (-)

Edit: this assumes you already have an amplifier driving R&L speakers. Reading your post again, that's not clear. Generally the outputs on the back of a TV are low level and can't drive a speaker without an external amp. If your TV has speaker level outputs you want to use, and the center is the only external speaker, the above won't work.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Selden, I guess that makes it option 2, though I guess I could try #3 with no particular danger. I can't imagine the variable TV out frying the inputs of my preamp.

Thanks. I understand that free advice doesn't have the implied warranty of purchased advice.

While we're at it; do you know of any inexpensive mono or stereo amps that have signal sensing?

catapault, I only want to use the one speaker, not L/C/R.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Claude,

Sorry, I've never paid any attention to autosensing, so I can't make any recommendations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.