AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother's old SONY set is crapping out and I have to help him pick out/deliver/setup a new TV for him so he can watch Jennifer Garner on Regis next week. I want to just go to costco and buy a decent set that is HDTV ready. He has comcast (CA) and a digital cable box already.

I don't want to go into the store with zero information. I'd like to be able to pick out a sub 1000$ set that is good for him to use with his cable box.

Is there anything that is cheap and inviting that I should avoid? Technological hassles?

Maybe if anyone even bought anything at costco recently they could just mention what they bought and whether is was worth it.

I'm sure that whatever I get will be better than what he has now.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In that price range you will be looking at 32" LCD flat panels models and a few low priced 37" versions. That price range will not get you the top brands like Sony Sharp, Samsung or Philips. You will limited to brands you probably never heard of - Vizio, Viewsonic, Olevia & Sceptre.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we're meeting there and have to pick something. He's ready to go HI def... Size isn't as important as compatibility issues.

I just found out that he has standard coax cable. No cable box.

Is there an hd set that looks good with standard cable there?

·
Registered
568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by somekind /forum/post/0

Is there an hd set that looks good with standard cable there?

Most if not all HD sets look terrible in SD. He probably has to upgrade something, ie. new cable box or find a set that has a cablecard slot. CableCard is cheaper to rent but the sets cost more. If within range put a HD antenna for free over the air HD broadcasts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We met at costco today and signed him up for a card, too. After staring at the display for a while he chose the 37" Sceptre. The picture looks really good even with the standard cable he has for now. The set fit in the trunk of my car (sort of). The whole process was painless (the set is SO light).

Now I need one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.