AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I picked up an HP projector with what I beleive to be a faulty color wheel. I won another one on ebay today with a good color wheel and brand new bulb for $50! WOOHOO! Anyhow, I got the one with the bad color wheel all taken apart and ready to have the swap done. However, Im sort of at a loss on getting the torx6 screws loose to take the wheel out. My small torx drivers wont do it. I can get to one, almost two, and not the third at all. I was thinking about a ratchet and torx socket but that would be far too bulky. Any ideas on anything? I basically need a small torx driver that is bent at 90 degrees I think..... Thanks for any tips guys! I need to get to the three black screws behind the green pcb (pcb can be removed) Pics below.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Right angle torx drivers are available, they look like Allen wrenches. Check some of the electronic parts suppliers online.

And when you do get the wheel out, handle it with care, they break easily if mishandled.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone cares, I have completed the surgery and it went perfect except for some additional surgery needed. The patient was an HP VP6310 projector and the donor was a VP6320. When researching this, I found both color wheels had the same part number. However, when I opened them up, they were clearly different. I had to cut out a significant amount of plastic on the vp6310 to get the donor color wheel to fit. SUrprisingly, it actually worked. LOL! I played quite a bit of xbox on it and didnt have one problem. It appears, the donor color wheel is the improved design less prone to failure, which meant a lot more work but in the end, it is for the better I beleive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts