AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i've been reading all the various posts about building a screen and i've seen you can find either DoAble brand materials or Parkland Plastics materials.

I went to the Home Depot by my home last night and couldnt find any of the parkland plastics stuff. But i did find a 8'x4' sheet of material by DoAble. Its near the lumber section and its basically some kind of flat white somewhat textured material laminated on some kind of lightweight board. Its probably about 1/3" thick and is probably too thick to roll up and probably needs to be cut with a saw or scoring knife.

Is this the stuff people are using? What material seems to be working better? There are about 5 other Home Depots and a Lowes in my area i could check out for the Parkland Plastics stuff if its better, but if now ill just pick up the DoAble material tonight.

Also, i've read about people using mica material (formica, wilsonart, etc.). I work with this stuff a lot so obtaining it and building something out of it would be easy. I know its very hard to scratch and you can usually find some thats not too textured. I could laminate it to a peice of wood with some contact cement and it would be good. But how good does it work as a screen? It would need to hold a pretty large advantage since the cost is much greather than the other options.

The projector i'll be using is the X1. Something with a little higher gain would be good since the room is not light controled (unless its at night).

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the Parkland and the Do-Able are fairly comparable for a basic matte white surface. You may want to check out the Parkland/Doable locations thread for SKU numbers and ask at your HD's if they carry it. Sometimes it is hard to find. The Parkland is not stiff, so can be rolled. However, that also means that you'll need to mount it to something when you put it up.

Haven't tried formica myself, but sounds like some people here have had success with it while others had hotspotting problems. You'll probably need to do some testing yourself to see if you can justify the additional cost.

The Parkland/Do-able is just a basic solution. If you want additional gain, you'll need to consider other applications or painting these.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.