AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be meeting the west coast sales manager at a local JVC pro sales point Teusday the 28th at 11 am. He said that "For the consumer market firewire has been determined to be the standard connection and that the match between these two pieces of equipment will be ideal going forward" He intends to show me DVD material and HD material from DVHS. Evidently the DVHS unit has firewire in and I will see how that outputs to the 150. He said he was also going to be using and NRS for the demo. I would love SPECIFIC questions/concerns that you might have as I beard the sales lion in his den. I will report back specific responses and impressions hopefully on the 29th. I am hoping he will be able to demo sat tv as well. Looking forward to you input......

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Hi Paul

Im curious to know what your thoughts are on the 150. With HD content anything looks good. Please try dvd and see how it looks. If you've seen the G15 before try to compare mentally the image of the 150 verses the g15. Is the 150 worth the extra money.

The jvc 30000 deck is a great piece. You should be impressed.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately Alan I have never seen a Dila machine in action. This will be a first. I am intrigued by the idea of "a solution" to both encryption and time shifting with hd content. If this works well watch out i may have to buy.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Paul,

You may get spoiled in comparison to all othr projectors after this demo. :D

Try to get a good recall of info for exactly what his sources are for viewing what he shows you.

For example, I've seen the DILAs look pretty good with just a progressive DVD player, but feed it a rate native to the projector, and it takes on a whole new look.

Let us know what you think. :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
It would also be interesting to take the NRS out of the loop to see what improvement it adds, particularly to lower quality sources.

Also, if you notice any video freezes or audio dropouts from the 30k it would be interesting to see if you can repeat them. Meaning, do they occur at the same time/place in the video each time you watch them.

Also, based on the date, might he have a copy of t2 to watch?

TM

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i will ask at what rate the NRS is set to output to. I will try to have interlaced and progressive dvd out as well as the canned dvhs stuff he is bringing and hopefully some sat source as well. Hey if I am spoiled I will buy one. Does anyone know if the DVHS unit with its firewire in will be forward compatible with the future content protection schemes?

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
jvc has announced an hd pvr for release later this year. it has built in SD/HD ota tuners *and* a d* tuner. jvc has stated that it's firewire output will mate to the 30k dvhs unit for recording...so at least in this case, the answer seems to be yes.

TM

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a link for this jvc pvr? I would love to read more about it. I will certainly ask the rep as well. If the have a HD PVR that will mate with this unit then Imay be in business right there. Please let me know any link info you have on this unit. Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tony.

I have not been keeping current on the hd hardware waiting to make my projector choice. Any thoughts on which will be th superior unit? JVC or 921?

Thanks for the input. Tuesday is gonna be even more fun with all this info.

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Hard to say in advance. If the 921 is the unit I think you're talking about, I *beleive* the 921 has a smaller drive (80gb vs 120gb). Other than that I don't know what the substantive differences are.

TM

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
bring a few dvd's you are familiar with and often compared on the forum, like fifth element, vertical limit, gladator, etc. look for shadow detail, smooth color tones, tone transitions and flesh tones, color vibrancy and range.. try out the video montage from video essentials, for a mix of video and film transitions. i would avoid making decisions based on any animated material.

check out the fan noise

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Personally, I cannot wait to see some reports from D-VHS owners on this projector using prerecorded materials due out May 28th. I do not know of anyone in Atlanta with this particular JVC projector, and doubt they could get their act together with a D-VHS and prerecorded movie to 'entertain' potential buyers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Paul,

Regarding the JVC DVHS, I would confirm/ask the following:

- Looks like the firewire is for input to the DVHS only and not for output to a projector/television.

- The two outputs to a projector/television appear to be s-video and component. Can you playback high definition material on the component output only or on both outputs?

- Since the G150 has an DVI input, why wouldn't they have put a DVI output on this player? Is that planned in the future?

- I'm sure that high definition tapes will look great, but would be curious if you see any improvement when playing regular non-high definition tape material on this player.

- Under what conditions will copy protection inhibit either the recording or playback of high definition material?

- What prepatory things/buttons need to occur first before playing back high definition material or is it simply insert and play.

Thx,

Mark

·
Registered
755 Posts
Paul, thanks for the reconnaissance mission.

I'd like to know if the 150CL can accept 1365x1024 over the DVI connection and then display it at native resolution (1:1 pixel mapping).

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by David Panko:

"I'd like to know if the 150CL can accept 1365x1024 over the DVI connection and then display it at native resolution (1:1 pixel mapping)."

I second this request.

Plus...see if JVC people can tell you if future D-VHS decks will have DVI outputs...and whether they will keep the wideband component video output as well. Thanx! :)

-THTS

·
Registered
821 Posts
> I'd like to know if the 150CL can accept 1365x1024 over the DVI connection and then display it at native resolution (1:1 pixel mapping).

Boy. We really need somebody to test this and see if it's possible. DVI single-link spec should be capable. G150CL should be capable. But plunking down $14,000 on spec sheets is a nervous gamble.

I'd specifically like to know how it deals with 1365x1024 at *72Hz* over DVI. This is something for which tests would be more reassuring than JVC assurances / guesses.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Guys,

Many of these questions were answered in Widesrcreen Review an issue or so ago. From what I understand yes they are going to put one out with DVI.

My question is the JVC people are saying that the DVHS player is so good on it's own why would the demo need an NRS?

Forget that thing. View it straight from the DVHS player. Another big question is of cousre, black level.

thanks

mrw

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I do not believe that the JVC D-VHS does NOT have a DVI output. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, I'd be curious to know how the DVI vs non-DVI DVD picture would look like!

It would be an easy comparison to set up. One output of the DVD player to the DVI input of the G150, the analog output to the Component inputs of the G-150!

Quick and dirty A/B comparison.

That would be great!

Jeff

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.