AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be heading to Montreal next week and was wondering if I should buy the Paradigm Studio 20's I've been wanting.

Are Paradigm speakers any cheaper in Canada?

Are there any issues with driving back into the US with the speakers?

Also, can anyone personally recommend a dealer in Montreal?

Thanks,

aabraham33

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Your safest bet would be in my opinion codell audio . They're about 15 minute ride from downtown and have a good selection of speakers with plenty of demos. They like appointments so if you can maybe call in advance so they can setup stuff before you get there if you want to demo stuff.

Downtown, Layton is good but they're a smaller shop, still, they have a few models as demos. Radio St-Hubert has some also, but they're also a bit smaller so will have limited demos. But if you don't want to demo, not an issue.

Dumoulin sells some too but I'm sure they're the most expensive place you could buy a pair of Digms... Probably few others shops too, check out paradigm.ca dealers. Lots of good audio shops in Montreal... Audioville, Son Ideal, Filtronique, Coup de Foudre audio (high end), etc.

Are Paradigms really cheaper in Canada? I wouldn't bet on it. The problem I also see is that any of the above shops probably won't have speakers in stock. Most likely they'll have to order some which might take a few days/weeks. So I'd call in advance. If you really buy some, I'd try them in the shop to make sure everything works fine. Just in case...

For border, when buying from USA, canadians have to pay taxes and have max amount of $$$. 1 day = 50$, 2 days = 400$, 7 days = 750$. So I'd think the opposite would be similar. So that could be a problem. You could say that you purchased them used... And make it look like they're used... but...

Overall, I'd think it wouldn't be worth it. Before when USA $$$ was strong, probably, but now with the weak US dollars, I'd be very surprised if it would be worth it. FWIW, I'd simply order a pair of Ascend Sierras. Not sure if the sale is still on, looks like it , but that is a ridiculously good deal. You might even save some money vs 20s, it's MUCH less hassle, 7 year warranty, and imho, you'll even get better performance (well vs v2/v3, haven't heard v4).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts