AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the LN32B460, an absolutely beautiful display IMO. Everything about it was great, except the SD picture was pretty bad. I don't know how to describe it, but picture was harsh, almost like there was some weird aliasing or dithering or something. HD looked great, but since I will be doing 50/50 of each, I figured I should just get something that I like better.

My question is, any suggestions? I don't necessarily need 1080p because this is a bedroom TV which will mostly be for cable TV (HD and SD) and DVDs (SD), but I wouldn't be opposed to it if there was a good buy out there (better picture quality). 32" is the perfect size for my bedroom. I won't be doing much gaming on there at all, except for my SNES, so I don't think 120Hz is really necessary? The most action packed thing I might watch on there is 24 in HD, haha.

Any suggestions would be great guys, I feel like I'm way out of my league trying to find out what the best TV to get is. Most TVs these days seem to lack sufficient reviews, and I thought I did a good job researching the LN32B460 but it turned out to not be that great for me in the SD world.

Thanks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
SD will always look pretty awful, especially since HD looks stunning by comparison. I've come to the conclusion that bad SD picture quality stems primarily from the source; in my case it's crummy Expanded Basic cable from Comcast. Let me explain...

SD PQ is typically good when viewing SD on the major networks like ABC, CW, Fox , NBC and CBS. It's also good on Food Network, Travel and not too bad on Spike.

But SD is really bad on USA, TBS, TNT, FX and several others. It amazes me because the commercials that play during this programming often have better PQ than the shows themselves.

I've never had digital cable nor HD cable so I'm guess (and it's a big guess) it may simply be that the crummy signals are still transmitted in analog.... but I may be wrong.

To get substantially better SD PQ you may have to drop some big $$ for a screen with a better tuner... I'm thinking Samsung 6 series Sony XBR series. You can exchange your set for one of these and try it out... at worst, if the PQ is no better, just return the expensive TV and buy back your returned 460 as an open-box buy!

By the way... I just picked up an open-box LN32B360 today for $349, a great TV for what I paid. Comparing to my 4 month old LN40B550... the 360 is not as bright, the blacks are certainly middle-of-the-road and the off angle viewing deteriorates sooner than the 550. But for a third bedroom where the viewing is pretty much straight on, and from 8-11 feet, this TV's weaknesses do not show up at all. Loving it...!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
appreciate your reply! Right now I don't have a cable outlet in my room, so my only source of entertainment is from an xbox360 or ps2, watching DVDs. Watching those DVDs, I see the SD PQ problem - something that I don't see in the other 2 LCDs in our house.

It is VERY difficult for me to describe the problem, but here is the best way I can: when a pixel or section of pixels is static (same image), it looks great and crisp. But if the camera pans, for example, it all looks blurry until the image is still again, at which point the pixels "sharpen" back up. This is very noticeable in the TV show I'm watching - Always Sunny - because they have a handheld camera, so the background is always moving slightly as the camera shakes around. You can see the background constantly sharpening and blurring a bit as the picture moves slightly.

I took the TV downstairs to our HD box, and I don't notice any of these problems, both in HD and SD. The difference? Our HD box is broadcasting in 720p/1080i, even on the SD channels. So what I've determined is that the TV is doing some strange upscaling that is ruining the way the picture looks in 480. But if the SD were upconverted by something else (like our cable box), and sent to the TV as HD, then it looks like I would expect - not great (since it's HD), but without these weird image problem.

Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I've hooked up my SNES to this TV, and no I'm not expecting miracles, after all the SNES is 16 bit! But I noticed the same problem... let's say I'm playing Mario. When I'm running around, the whole world is moving around me and it "blurs" a bit. Once I stop moving, the world stops moving and everything will immediately get crisp. It's very weird to watch and very distracting.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I play DVD through my PC, via a hardware player (Sigma Design's x-card), it upsamples to 720p/1080i, and the image is decent. In fact the THX-certified Close Encounter of the Third Kind (my reference DVD) looks stunning. Yes I have a Sammy.

SD from cable, I say it's slightly better than my ole Sony CRT.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG /forum/post/16992135

Are you running with AMP on or off? I highly suggest disabling it..

He has an LN32B460. They are 720p, 60hz with NO AMP.

By the way, CaseLogic, AMP stands for Automated Motion Processing which is Samsung's trademarked name for (obviously) motion processing and is only on TVs that are 1080p with 120hz or 240hz refresh rates.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16993118

He has an LN32B460. They are 720p, 60hz with NO AMP.

By the way, CaseLogic, AMP stands for Automated Motion Processing which is Samsung's trademarked name for (obviously) motion processing and is only on TVs that are 1080p with 120hz or 240hz refresh rates.

oh okay, dang I was hoping there was a fix out there so I didn't have to repackage and return

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16993186

Before you take it back, I would do a little further research because SD is notoriously bad on most if not all HDTVs.

the problem is though that SD looks acceptable to me when pumped through our HD cable box (and thus appears to the TV as 720p/1080i). But when SD is hooked up straight to the TV, and it recognizes it at 480i, thats when it looks worse IMO.

It's not the SD signal itself, we have other LCD TVs in the apartment and I can deal with the SD on them. It's the way this TV processes SD. Dunno if you read my other posts, but it does some weird blur then sharpen thing when things move and then settle, it looks really odd and distracting

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just got this set myself because BB is running a great deal on it. However, I have not opened the box and am thinking about returning it and ordering the LG 32LH30 which can be had for around the same price and offers 1080p with better calibration options (IPS panel,etc). I'm not sure how black levels compare however- Sammy is also a bit "slicker" with TOC bezel, etc. I suspect (as has been said) that SD will be equally crummy on both. (remember to keep sharpness way down, turn off most enhancements,...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts