AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've shopped for banana connectors for your speaker wires you know that it's hard to find a reasonable price for them. I've seen them for as much as $25 apiece (!) and the average price is around $3 or $4 apiece. That adds up when you have alot of speakers to connect (such as a 7.1 surround system).

Anyways, after scouring the Internet I ran across these:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=412&sku=29784

They are under $1 apiece and they are gold plated. I ordered 28 of them (seven packs of four) and they arrived in two days. They are of decent quality although the leaf springs (there are eight of them) are a little flimsy. If you don't push the connector straight in you can bend them. Also the color coded sleeves don't like to stay in place. I tried to heat-shrink them but that didn't work. I suppose you could replace them with some color coded heat shrink tubing if it really bothers you.

The ones at that link are solder type but they have the set screw kind for the same price. I prefer the solder type because with those you know you have a good connection and you don't have to worry about oxidation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clutchbrake-

The banana plugs from Partsexpress work very well and are very reasonably priced. I have banana plugs by NGK(?) which supposedly retail for $20 a pair, and they don't have as good a connection as the ones from Parts Express. I didn't pay $20- only $2 a set since I had gotten speakers from the store.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bugaboo
Clutchbrake-

The banana plugs from Partsexpress work very well and are very reasonably priced. I have banana plugs by NGK(?) which supposedly retail for $20 a pair, and they don't have as good a connection as the ones from Parts Express. I didn't pay $20- only $2 a set since I had gotten speakers from the store.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and order some. I'm going to be buying new speakers soon and would like to be able to A-B.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I hear what you are saying. However, I have a slightly different take. I originally went for the $1.50 a piece banana plugs and was never really satisifed with how they fit into the receiver. I use standard 12g cl3 rated in-wall cable. Because of the weight of the cable and the ease which which the banana plugs slide into the reciever connectors it just didn't feel like a solid or stable connection. The build quality wasn't all that great, of course what can you expect for the price.

Now obviously you have to keep everything within prespective, wire and connectors should not impact your overall budget for other things. However, I found spending a little bit more for the following plugs worth the while. They come in at $5 a piece but they have a locking mechanism and are much better quality and stability.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_21825.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.