AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the deal. I have a large two story family room. 21'10 by 18; I currently have an 80 inch sharp tv which is 72 by 43 inches. I am talking to local AV guy who is very reasonable and not talking going crazy. He is saying do a 5.1 system or with golden ear Super Sat 60's in the front/center (wall mounted along with mounted tv). https://www.goldenear.com/products/supersat-series

he is saying in the rears do the golden ear MPX system built into the wall. https://www.goldenear.com/products/invisa-series

Few questions:
1. How are golden ear speakers? i have heard them in the room they created vs other ones and i do like the sound.
2. Is it weird that wall mounted spakers will be taller than the tv? 60 inchs vs 43 inch...even if i go up to a 90 inch tv eventually the height will be 49 inches).

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
I take it this is new construction, correct?

Where are you placing the TV? Many do over the fireplace but I STRONGLY DISAGREE. It makes speaker placement difficult and the TV is just to high.

If new construction use the Invisa SPS in wall for LCR. About the price as the SS60 but a cleaner look and better sound.

If the interior decorator does not object consider the Triton 5 and SuperCenter Reference. You will need a sub of course or look at the Triton T2+ or even the Triton T1r if the budget allows.

The MPX is a good surround that won’t break the bank.

The GE is a good speaker but I’m a somewhat bias being a dealer since 2013.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't new construction but lot of reno going on.  First off, i will NOT use the fireplace. I HATE tv on fireplace.  It is going on the right wall if you are looking at the fire place.  Do you think the invisia sps gives that much better sound? As for the triton, forget the designer, my WIFE won't go for floor speakers. 
Thera are martin logans in the same price point that hang on the wall too, are those better? are they worse? are they the same?
are there other ones i should consider?  

My issue with the invisi series in the LCR is that if i want to increase my TV size from the 80 i have to a 90 in a few years or a 95, then i am kind of stuck no? 

I take it this is new construction, correct?

Where are you placing the TV? Many do over the fireplace but I STRONGLY DISAGREE. It makes speaker placement difficult and the TV is just to high.

If new construction use the Invisa SPS in wall for LCR. About the price as the SS60 but a cleaner look and better sound.

If the interior decorator does not object consider the Triton 5 and SuperCenter Reference. You will need a sub of course or look at the Triton T2+ or even the Triton T1r if the budget allows.

The MPX is a good surround that won’t break the bank.

The GE is a good speaker but I’m a somewhat bias being a dealer since 2013.

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Sorry but I don't much about Martin Logan other than thier electrostatic panel speakers are one of my favorites for listening to music.

Yes the Invisa SPS is much better that the SuperSat60 to my ear.

Not a fan of on walls in general. It's hard to get good quality from a small cabinet whereas the in wall uses the cavity of the wall.

IIRC you can paint the grille covers to match the wall color for the SPS.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My best recommendation is be patient, audition as many different speakers as you can so you can narrow down your preferences such as two way, three way, towers, bookshelf, and especially what kind of tweeter you prefer...domes, horned convention or Compression drivers, AMT's (I believe these are used in most Golden Ear speakers), RAALs, or ribbons. After you've narrowed down a few favorites absolutely audition them in your new space and let your ears pick your favorite. I understand it can be difficult for most of us mere humans to exercise such restraint and patience but it sure beats hastily ending up with something you don't absolutely love and want to upgrade in a year or so. In walls have come a long way but proper placement is still a crap shoot no matter who tells your otherwise....period. Beware of hype that new inwalls have such wide dispersion that they somehow compensates for precise placement...BS...they don't have any wider dispersion than wide dispersion conventional speakers. Once the holes are cut and they're in you're committed. In wall adjustments are limited or non-existent and optimal sound will dictate where you place all your furniture or how you rearrange your room in the future. I'm not disparaging their use, but it's only fair to weigh and consider all the pros and cons of in-walls. As with any speaker you may or may not like any speaker that anyone else recommends AND they will all to VARYING degrees sound different in your furnished room with your power supply than they will anywhere else. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts