AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been able to find one review online, from Sound and Vision.


We have it a bit rough in Canada, due to shipping and all sorts of other importing related pleasures, we're "stuck" with mostly crap up here. The only high value option that we have is SVS by way of Sonicboomaudio.


I absolutely love the SVS value. But I don't often upgrade. I am thinking of getting one $1200 CAD sub and buying a second one later.


That leaves me with the PC12 + ($1249 - 10% for a return customer at SonicBoom), or the Golden Ear FF5 (can audition at Bay Bloor Radio). There might be other options as well, just have those two in mind.


GoldenEar subs don't get a lot of buzz here. Are they simply not popular, or plain not good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5/0_100#post_24508424


I've only been able to find one review online, from Sound and Vision.


We have it a bit rough in Canada, due to shipping and all sorts of other importing related pleasures, we're "stuck" with mostly crap up here. The only high value option that we have is SVS by way of Sonicboomaudio.


I absolutely love the SVS value. But I don't often upgrade. I am thinking of getting one $1200 CAD sub and buying a second one later.


That leaves me with the PC12 + ($1249 - 10% for a return customer at SonicBoom), or the Golden Ear FF5 (can audition at Bay Bloor Radio). There might be other options as well, just have those two in mind.


GoldenEar subs don't get a lot of buzz here. Are they simply not popular, or plain not good?

Its about the same as a pb12 nsd with more upper bass . I was not impressed with it at all for a 1100$ out the door cost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5#post_24508532



Its about the same as a pb12 nsd with more upper bass . I was not impressed with it at all for a 1100$ out the door cost

Oh,


So... PC12+ or bust then!


Or just settle for a second PB-2000 lol. :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5/0_100#post_24508548


Oh,


So... PC12+ or bust then!


Or just settle for a second PB-2000 lol. :/

Pc12+ duals is what I have atm and love them .

I was doing so testing and they dig down really low I was doing so max output burst testing and in a mostly closed room 2800cf 26x14 room I was able to get 10 hertz @101.8 dbz max (in room of course) with 20 hertz getting well over 115db before I had to quite testing due to the wife lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5#post_24508605


Pc12+ duals is what I have atm and love them .

I was doing so testing and they dig down really low I was doing so max output burst testing and in a mostly closed room 2800cf 26x14 room I was able to get 10 hertz @101.8 dbz max (in room of course) with 20 hertz getting well over 115db before I had to quite testing due to the wife lol

Yep yep you gave me some sound advice in the another thread.


My feeling (based on living with dual PB10's for years in the same room), is that dual PB-2000's are "enough".


I want to just get over that "enough" range and never have to think about it again (unless something breaks).


PC12+'s are a step up in cost over the PB-2000's.... but the delta isn't very much at all.


Looks like I'll be going for the dual PC12+'s in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5/0_100#post_24508624


Yep yep you gave me some sound advice in the another thread.


My feeling (based on living with dual PB10's for years in the same room), is that dual PB-2000's are "enough".


I want to just get over that "enough" range and never have to think about it again (unless something breaks).


PC12+'s are a step up in cost over the PB-2000's.... but the delta isn't very much at all.


Looks like I'll be going for the dual PC12+'s in the end.

I hope the "what if" stops for you , I got myself in trouble having been a car audio all my life and just never get enough at home lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5#post_24508716


I hope the "what if" stops for you , I got myself in trouble having been a car audio all my life and just never get enough at home lol.

It never really ends. But eventually I bump into the budget limit.


I'm a bit confused as Mason insists on me sticking with the dual PB-2000's. He refuses to take my money for the PC12+ route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5/0_100#post_24508744


It never really ends. But eventually I bump into the budget limit.


I'm a bit confused as Mason insists on me sticking with the dual PB-2000's. He refuses to take my money for the PC12+ route.

Dual 2000s would best the single plus and give a smoother response unless your running in 16 hertz tune then you are up like 8-10 db at 16 hertz I think.. but then you lose out above 25 hertz with the single
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5/0_100#post_24508784


It's about $650 + 13% tax difference when comparing dual PB-2000 to dual PC12+'s.


I figure 5 years down the road it won't seem like a lot of money haha.

Yea I feel the same way, I just have to stop myself or I'll have dual ultras on the way lol and I dont think id be content at that point either.


Dual pluses or 2000s will do you well. Going dual showed me the light in HT setups the biggest difference will be tuning to 16 hertz vs the pb2000s for you imo
 

·
Writer & Reviewer
Joined
·
8,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5#post_24508424


GoldenEar subs don't get a lot of buzz here. Are they simply not popular, or plain not good?

It may be the latter. The FF5 has been out for over a year, and there's almost nothing to be found regarding them. That's usually an indication of sorts. I know the company is extremely difficult to deal with - I tried for quite a while to get a unit for evaluation, but it was like pulling teeth so I ultimately gave up. If you're only able to find a single review perhaps the frustration I encountered was not an isolated incident. It's rare for a manufacturer with a good product to not want it highlighted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Scratch , I just ran a sweep with my pc12+ and figured id show you what they can do with xt32.

Hope this loads ok.... first picture post

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
That was all my house could take at a 110 db sweep
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5#post_24509845


It may be the latter. The FF5 has been out for over a year, and there's almost nothing to be found regarding them. That's usually an indication of sorts. I know the company is extremely difficult to deal with - I tried for quite a while to get a unit for evaluation, but it was like pulling teeth so I ultimately gave up. If you're only able to find a single review perhaps the frustration I encountered was not an isolated incident. It's rare for a manufacturer with a good product to not want it highlighted.


That's quite disheartening as well. The prospect of a 46lb sub performing on par or exceeding say the PC12+ would've been an amazing proposition. But from jwtallguy's feelings from his demo... it's all around in the class of a PB-2000. Not bad company per se, but paying $200 more for no apparent reason... likely isn't a good match for the price performance ratio crowd (the majority of us). Still intrigued by their speakers though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5#post_24510412


Scratch , I just ran a sweep with my pc12+ and figured id show you what they can do with xt32.

Hope this loads ok.... first picture post


Hey,


Impressive graph!


Still debating on the PC12+ vs PB-2000 route.


Long term the price delta is not a big deal at all.


I did however play a bit more with the single PB-2000 last night. (-70 on the volume control on the Denon AVR-X4000). From the MLP it was pretty decent!


I hate wasting forum space on the same old debate so I think I'll just grab the second PB-2000, calibrate, crank it up a bit with some Pacific Rim action and then do the upgrade or stick with the dual PB-2000's at that point.


I'm happy with my SVS S-Series speakers (9 channels), but also itching to upgrade to the Ultra's or .... and even longer debate since there are far more speaker options than subs haha. That's why I wanted to get the SUB's out of the way first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Its close to a pb2000 untill 25 hertz and down. Then its down a lot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchieepants  /t/1523506/goldenear-forcefield-5/0_100#post_24511242


Hey,


Impressive graph!


Still debating on the PC12+ vs PB-2000 route.


Long term the price delta is not a big deal at all.


I did however play a bit more with the single PB-2000 last night. (-70 on the volume control on the Denon AVR-X4000). From the MLP it was pretty decent!


I hate wasting forum space on the same old debate so I think I'll just grab the second PB-2000, calibrate, crank it up a bit with some Pacific Rim action and then do the upgrade or stick with the dual PB-2000's at that point.


I'm happy with my SVS S-Series speakers (9 channels), but also itching to upgrade to the Ultra's or .... and even longer debate since there are far more speaker options than subs haha. That's why I wanted to get the SUB's out of the way first.

I think your making a good decision dual 2000s should be the ticket you've been looking for and if not you can always upgrade :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
FF5 is very interesting to me. I am looking for something compact to handle a big room. I get that it is more expensive than the PB2000 but it's much smaller and that is very important to me. I think I could do two 4's or 5's and have my room really well covered without large, ugly boxes all over my room. Maybe it's not $$$ per decibel but maybe a quality compact sub with good output. Size has a value too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
FF5 is very interesting to me. I am looking for something compact to handle a big room. I get that it is more expensive than the PB2000 but it's much smaller and that is very important to me. I think I could do two 4's or 5's and have my room really well covered without large, ugly boxes all over my room. Maybe it's not $$$ per decibel but maybe a quality compact sub with good output. Size has a value too.
did you ever pull the trigger on a ff4 or ff5?
 

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
Joined
·
17,834 Posts
I think the ForceField 5 is fantastic. There is one issue—the specs are exaggerated, it barely registers a 12 Hz signal and doesn't produce tactile feel before 16 Hz. I'd personally rate it as a 20 Hz-capable sub, but not infrasonic. That still makes a system full-range. It's best attribute is its clean, low distortion sound quality. No "doubling."

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eld-5-subwoofer-official-avsforum-review.html
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top