AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just hooked up my Aon3 speakers to my Denon AVR 3300.

The Aons are replacing Infinity RS3s.

1st impressions:

The infinitys are easy to listen to. They do a lot of things well. The Aons do more. A lot more.

The Aons are very resolving on the top end. There is a ton of high end energy but they remain easy to listen to.

The bass response is great. Tight with good extension. I will be running a sub regardless.

The manual says 40 hrs to break in. They will likely improve as time passes.

The Aon3 is truly a great speaker. I do not know of any monitor that delivers more for a $1000.

Update:

After a week of break in the Aons have done nothing but improve. The woofers have loosened up a bit.

The speaker has a single speaker wire terminal. No bi wiring or bi amping. The Aons seem very easy to drive so this should not be an issue.

The bass has improved. Not so much that I am deleting the subwoofer. The only bookshelf I have heard with slightly stronger bass would be the Dynaudio C1.

I have noticed that the tweeter is offset to the right. This led me to believe that maybe these were a L/R specific design. That assumption was incorrect.

The speakers are all the same. The tweeters are intentionally offset to the right. Goldenear didn't get into it too deep but confirmed that they are designed that way. Without being too critical this seemed like a cheap way out. Why offset the tweeter one way and not offset in the opposite direction for the other speaker? A small nit pick.

The grill sock. It has pros and cons. I dont have a problem with it as it conceals the passive radiators on the sides. However, the AMT and woofer are very nice to look at. I would rather have grills so I can see the drivers, but the design sways me to leave the sock in place. A personal preference issue more than anything else. The top cap snaps firmly in place. One reviewer said it was sloppy and cheap. I disagree. It was so firmly attached to the top of the speaker I was scared to remove it.

After listening to a lot of my material on the Aons I continue to be more impressed. Things can be heard that did not exist on the Infinitys. The Aon resolves detail better than any bookshelf I have heard. It does this without being harsh or forward. To me, this is where this speaker stands apart. The AMT in the GE is truly reference.

I have read a couple, (only a couple) reviews placing the Goldenears behind other similarly priced bookshelf speakers. I could not disagree more. I have not heard a better tweeter in a bookshelf. The bass driver is also extremely good. In my opinion, the Aon destroys the $1000.00 speaker category and is competitive to much more expensive speakers. I cannot think of a bookshelf speaker that I would rather have on my desk. I considered the KEF R300, NHT Classic 3, Paradigm Anniversary, PSB Synchrony Monitor and ML Motion. Those are all great speakers but I am happy. The Aon is simply the best choice.

I wish I could get my hands on the AMT for my car system. I am addicted to its performance.

Now I plan to upgrade the Denon. I believe the Aons will respond nicely to the Cary Slp03 or the Mcintosh 2300. We shall see.............

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. I continue to enjoy my Aons. They have no competition at $1000. After being at Axpona in Chicago, They have little competition at any price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I

I recently purchased a pair of Goldenear Aon3's. When they arrived I noticed on the box it says they were made over 2 years ago. Does that seem strange to any one else but me?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I

I recently purchased a pair of Goldenear Aon3's. When they arrived I noticed on the box it says they were made over 2 years ago. Does that seem strange to any one else but me?
When I got mine, same thing, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I
Warranty starts on date of purchase. They haven't changed since they were introduced. I second the idea that there is nothing to worry about.

Congratulations. I have not found a bookshelf at 3x the money that can touch it. The tweeter is phenomenal. You are in for some serious enjoyment.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
I thought I would post here for the first time - had started posting about the CES show Titians Ones: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511825/goldenear-triton-one-at-ces-2014/0_60

Hopefully we can get more people to post to this thread

Here is a picture of my system now - before the Titian Ones are released

Wait a minute, do I need be the first to point out that you're playing a 64kbps MP3 on your Triton Ones? :p
LOL. I was listening to Internet Radio on the Marantz 8801

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Triton 1s, the wait begins.

·
Banned
919 Posts
I love my Triton 7s with the SuperCenter 60C. Best sound I have ever had.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Triton 1s, the wait begins.
Lol, they are no longer on back order are they, I remember having to wait because of the loading doc issues in Canada, was painful, but the reward is well worth the pain of waiting :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished Axpona. I was pleased to hear the new Triton 5 and Triton 1. Both were excellent. The Triton 5 was setup with Parasound. This room was thrown together by Saturday Audio with several other systems. It should have had a room to itself. The Parasound Integrated did very well with the 5. Bass response was staggering. The tweeter was as magical as ever. The T1 was paired with Mcintosh. It was also incredible. The only negative thing that can be said is the setup of the T5 room and the GE rep. He interrupted a demo, insulted a Sony rep, and was generally nasty. He left before noon and everyone celebrated his departure. Im surprised GE would employ someone with such negative personality traits.

On a positive note, this years show was dominated by Goldenear, Martin Logan(Neolith), and Dynaudio. All of which were phenomenal.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts