AVS Forum banner

5201 - 5220 of 5637 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't think moving to DIRAC will make a huge improvement. If the DIRAC product you are considering allows you to manually EQ the speakers to your tastes, and you know how to do that well, then, possibly. But Audyssey normally does a competent job fixing the areas that need to be addressed.

I do not think spending money on external amps will provide you with a noticeable improvement either. A more powerful amp should normally only be required where you have relatively inefficient speakers, and your current receiver is not able to give you the volume levels you need without straining. GE Triton 7s are fairly efficient and they don't have significant output capabilities anyways, so spending money on a more powerful amp won't do much in your case.

A speaker upgrade would definitely provide a noticeable improvement. Don't get me wrong, the Triton 7s are good speakers. But there are definitely better ones. Just to give you an example, take a look at these measurements of the GE Triton 7 vs. the GE Triton 1. Obviously, the Triton 1 has significantly more output capabilities and much deeper bass. But they also have a much smoother frequency response. Pay special attention to the "listening window" graph, which also takes into account how smooth the frequency response is off-axis. If you have a speaker that has poor off-axis response (meaning, the off-axis response is different from the on-axis response), then room treatments that treat the first reflection points could help improve the sound. However, if you have a speaker that has uniform off-axis response, treating first reflection points would likely not improve the sound. The Triton 2+ is cheaper than the Triton 1, but it would have a similarly smooth response to the Triton 1. The Triton 1 does have more bass extension and output, though. Oh, and both have their own built-in amps, so again, no external amp needed with either.

Triton 7:

https://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1097:nrc-measurements-goldenear-technology-triton-seven-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

Triton 1:

https://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1357:nrc-measurements-goldenear-technology-triton-one-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

This is just an example. There are other great options out there other than GE. This website has measurements of a lot of speakers, so it can help you with other options too.

Thanks again! I’ll definitely take a look at the 1’s and 2’s to see if I can swing them. I’ll look at other lines but I don’t want to have to replace my center due to the timbre matching becoming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anthem 720 and NAD T758 with Triton Ones

Please do...thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have been demoing an Anthem 720 and NAD T758 today. I bought the ones a week ago and didn’t like how they sounded with my Denon 4300 and Emotiva XPA-3.

I found the XPA-3 to sound too bright with the Ones and lacking a little midrange. I then tried the Ones directly connected to the Denon, that was pretty bad, no imaging and a loss of dynamics. Very dull sounding and not close to what the Ones deserve.

But I am on a budget of sorts, so off the the Anthem and Denon.

My sources are Tidal via a Sonos Connect and disks via an Oppo UHD player.

First up was the Anthem. I listened to a live disc from Kenny Loggins (redwoods) that also had a CD which is on Tidal. Older recording but a lot of detail. Also listened to the new Star is Born soundtrack since Lady Gaga’s voice is challenging, and finally Edie Brickell Good Times which features Barry White (great tune)

The Anthem matched the Ones well. The brightness was gone from the Emotiva and the soundstage was amazing. Everything sounded more open and wider. The speakers disappeared as I listened. I would call the overall sound relaxed and immersive. The Ones are awesome and this is only a $2400 receiver.

But all wasn’t perfect with the Anthem. As the soundstage expanded, it seemed to lack strength in the sound. When a song went from a vocal to involve all kinds of instruments, the sound remained very wide, but too laid back for me. Vocals mixed too far into the overall sound. Some may like this, I missed hear a more forward sound or liveliness to the sound. One tip, allow the Anthem to warm up, it sounds much better after a few minutes.

Next up was the NAD T758. This sounds like a mismatch at $1399, but it is stripped of features and very basic except for the sound correction.

The T758 was a shocker even though I’ve owned NAD equipment in the past. The T758 is very forward and dynamic. The soundstage is smaller, but seemed a little more accurate. Vocals stayed out front and it was easier to pick out different instruments during songs. Again, it is a forward sounding receiver and that is a preference of mine. Not everyone may like it. Every thing I listened to was better on the NAD. Amazing for an inexpensive receiver (well compared to other options).

For the testing, Imused a simple sound meter to balance the speakers. I have not used the sound correction from either receiver yet. Frankly, I’m not a big sound correction fan. I also moved the speakers around into different positions. The Anthem sounds better with more of a turn in, the NAD more with the speakers almost straight out.

The NAD is not ergonomically friendly and updating the firmware took some creativity out of the box. Both were solidly built and weight around 32lbs. My listening was at normal levels, did not try for concert levels.

There is my short summary. I can provide more details. Note that the Ones are deserving if great electronics and I am not suggesting that a $1400 receiver gets the most out of them. But I do think it would take a significant leap in cost to beat the NAD. As usual, you really need to try the equipment in your home listening setup. Room dynamics make a huge difference.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Speaker Toe in

I am not an artist nor an architect so this is the best I could do lol. I’m open to any advice as far as orientation goes, and my dimensions may be off a bit as far as furniture etc but this is close. The couch will actually be a set of 3 leather theater chairs from 4seating. And there is actually enough room to do 2 rows in the future.

I’m probably going to upgrade my atmos speakers although the micca m8-c’s have been decent. I’m open to any suggestions at all. I have zero experience or knowledge in room treatments, could maybe stretch my budget to 5k max. I’m really interested in the nad 758 for its Dirac, so I’m leaning toward that coupled with an outlaw 5000 amp and some GE in ceilings for atmos at this point. Should put me around $4000 for the above including seating. A denon x4400 is in the running also which is around $800 and would allow me to do 5.1.4..

Hi, I would suggest that you toe in the Sevens so that they point directly at the center of the couch. All the Best, Sandy

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have been demoing an Anthem 720 and NAD T758 today. I bought the ones a week ago and didn’t like how they sounded with my Denon 4300 and Emotiva XPA-3.

I found the XPA-3 to sound too bright with the Ones and lacking a little midrange. I then tried the Ones directly connected to the Denon, that was pretty bad, no imaging and a loss of dynamics. Very dull sounding and not close to what the Ones deserve.

First up was the Anthem. I listened to a live disc from Kenny Loggins (redwoods) that also had a CD which is on Tidal. Older recording but a lot of detail. Also listened to the new Star is Born soundtrack since Lady Gaga’s voice is challenging, and finally Edie Brickell Good Times which features Barry White (great tune)

The Anthem matched the Ones well. The brightness was gone from the Emotiva and the soundstage was amazing. Everything sounded more open and wider. The speakers disappeared as I listened. I would call the overall sound relaxed and immersive. The Ones are awesome and this is only a $2400 receiver.

But all wasn’t perfect with the Anthem. As the soundstage expanded, it seemed to lack strength in the sound. When a song went from a vocal to involve all kinds of instruments, the sound remained very wide, but too laid back for me. Vocals mixed too far into the overall sound. Some may like this, I missed hear a more forward sound or liveliness to the sound. One tip, allow the Anthem to warm up, it sounds much better after a few minutes.

Next up was the NAD T758. This sounds like a mismatch at $1399, but it is stripped of features and very basic except for the sound correction.

The T758 was a shocker even though I’ve owned NAD equipment in the past. The T758 is very forward and dynamic. The soundstage is smaller, but seemed a little more accurate. Vocals stayed out front and it was easier to pick out different instruments during songs. Again, it is a forward sounding receiver and that is a preference of mine. Not everyone may like it. Every thing I listened to was better on the NAD. Amazing for an inexpensive receiver (well compared to other options).

For the testing, Imused a simple sound meter to balance the speakers. I have not used the sound correction from either receiver yet. Frankly, I’m not a big sound correction fan. I also moved the speakers around into different positions. The Anthem sounds better with more of a turn in, the NAD more with the speakers almost straight out.

The NAD is not ergonomically friendly and updating the firmware took some creativity out of the box. Both were solidly built and weight around 32lbs. My listening was at normal levels, did not try for concert levels.

There is my short summary. I can provide more details. Note that the Ones are deserving if great electronics and I am not suggesting that a $1400 receiver gets the most out of them. But I do think it would take a significant leap in cost to beat the NAD. As usual, you really need to try the equipment in your home listening setup. Room dynamics make a huge difference.
I'm using the NAD with a pair of Ones's. There are two other things you can try with the NAD, as long as you have it there. Try running your XPA-3 out of the NAD, and see if the brightness is tamed, or the soundstage gets larger. Also, you can stream Tidal through the BluOS that is built into the NAD, and I found that significantly better than streaming Tidal through an app on a streaming box.

And don't forget Dirac.That's a game changer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi, I would suggest that you toe in the Sevens so that they point directly at the center of the couch. All the Best, Sandy

Will do Sandy, thank you. What is your opinion on additional amplification and / or a better receiver (currently using a denon x3300) to pair with the 7’s? 1’s or 2’s might be a little out of my budget so I’d like to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my 7’s.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any surround recommendations for a 5.2 setup with the T5s and XXL? Doesn't have to be GE really but would like something that at least comes close if not. Currently using some old Athena satellites that can't keep up at all.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

Did you run the room correction software for each? You really must do that with Anthem to experience its potential. Made a huge difference for me. And Dirac is very good too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you run the room correction software for each? You really must do that with Anthem to experience its potential. Made a huge difference for me. And Dirac is very good too.

For two channel - no. It's debated amongst Anthem owners, some like ARC, others do not. Since I had heard the same speakers with a McIntosh at the dealer with no correction, I didn't want to add it. That left each system I tried at the same place and frankly I prefer no-processed music. For 5.1 I would consider it, but again my trusty meter has worked for years along with speaker placement.

Some amps are forward, some are more laid back. The Anthem is a superb piece of equipment, just not my preference when compared to the NAD. Others may have different opinions and they are just as valid.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm using the NAD with a pair of Ones's. There are two other things you can try with the NAD, as long as you have it there. Try running your XPA-3 out of the NAD, and see if the brightness is tamed, or the soundstage gets larger. Also, you can stream Tidal through the BluOS that is built into the NAD, and I found that significantly better than streaming Tidal through an app on a streaming box.

And don't forget Dirac.That's a game changer.
Thanks, I am very happy with where I am at. It sounds fantastic and I really do not need the power of the XPA-3. Plus the XPA-3 to me is an OK amp, nothing special. I like the sound of the NAD more and it has more than enough power to drive the Ones. Sometime I may play with Dirac and see how that sounds.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
For two channel - no. It's debated amongst Anthem owners, some like ARC, others do not. Since I had heard the same speakers with a McIntosh at the dealer with no correction, I didn't want to add it. That left each system I tried at the same place and frankly I prefer no-processed music. For 5.1 I would consider it, but again my trusty meter has worked for years along with speaker placement.

Some amps are forward, some are more laid back. The Anthem is a superb piece of equipment, just not my preference when compared to the NAD. Others may have different opinions and they are just as valid.

Definitely, I heard 2 integrated amps, the McIntosh MA5300 and PrimaLuna Dialogue, yesterday when auditioning speakers and the PrimaLuna was head and shoulders smoother, detailed and more 3 dimensional than the McIntosh. Of course, both integrated amps are different in the way they process sound. I may be a tube man.

I agree regarding 2 channel, all my 2 channel inputs are set to direct mode but ARC does help regarding home home theater and I really like the way ARC seamlessly combines the front 3 speakers and provides bass management. When auditioning AVRs a couple years ago, my 2 finalists were Anthem and NAD but chose the Anthem because I was able to get a 25% discount from the Anthem dealer. I really like the modularity of NAD and the ability to upgrade and customize the AVR.

Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm looking at buying a used set of GoldenEar SuperSat 50's, two L/R's and one C. This is instead of a passive soundbar. Would it be fine to mount the L/R 50's sideways like the centre channel? I know only the C has the tweeter oriented for that, but I thought the dispersion pattern of the folded tweeter was very wide anyway. The Martin Logans seem to be interchangeable in terms of vertical/horizontal orientation. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I'm looking at buying a used set of GoldenEar SuperSat 50's, two L/R's and one C. This is instead of a passive soundbar. Would it be fine to mount the L/R 50's sideways like the centre channel? I know only the C has the tweeter oriented for that, but I thought the dispersion pattern of the folded tweeter was very wide anyway. The Martin Logans seem to be interchangeable in terms of vertical/horizontal orientation. Thanks!

Highly doubtful because of the tweeter orientation and dispersion.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Fair enough. If it will be a problem then, is it possible and not too difficult to unscrew and rotate the tweeter to a horizontal orientation?
I guess you could buy 3 center channel speakers...how will you be mounting them, swivel mount?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I guess you could buy 3 center channel speakers...how will you be mounting them, swivel mount?
This is not an option, as I found a deal for three and only one is a centre channel. The price is a third of the cost new so I can't really compare. I was just planning to mount them straight on...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
This is not an option, as I found a deal for three and only one is a centre channel. The price is a third of the cost new so I can't really compare. I was just planning to mount them straight on...
I wouldn’t attempt to open the cabinet to reconfigure the tweeter.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just got my used 3 Goldenear Supersat 50's for a steal! $650 Canadian, whereas they'd be $2k new! Very happy to get 3 for the price of 1.

I'm currently let them slowly warm up to room temperature before testing them out, as it is -15C / 5F here and the aluminum bodies were very cold on arrival. I'm very impressed with the build quality, it's much better than I expected. They are beautiful.

As an update, I did contact GoldenEar about rotating the tweeters and they responded:

"Typically the tweeter is glued in place so rotating would probably be an issue - plus the grilles are different too. You are correct though, they should be rotated to use the speaker horizontally. Also, it is really best that the front L/R speakers be as far apart as possible, preferably as far apart as the distance to your listening area."

So I think I will just set them up conventionally. I'm going to use Martin Logan LX16's for the surrounds in a 5.1 setup with my old AV123 X-Sub.

Attachments

5201 - 5220 of 5637 Posts