It has been exactly one year since my first encounter with Sandy Gross—the founder, president, and CEO of GoldenEar Technologies. Sandy is the legendary designer who co-founded Polk and Definitive Technology , so he knows a thing or two about speakers. At this year's CES, Sandy was there in person to debut GoldenEar's newest creations; the $2000/pair Triton Five tower speaker and the 1600-watt $2000 Supersub XXL subwoofer.

First, a bit of disclosure: I love GoldenEar's products. At CEDIA 2014, I thought GoldenEar's Dolby Atmos demo sounded exceptional, beaten only by a $100,000-plus Steinway Lyngdorf system. I was so impressed by that demo, I asked Sandy if I could borrow a similar system for my studio, for use when I test Atmos-compatible gear.

Luckily for me, Sandy said yes, and he loaned me the actual in-ceiling speaker enclosures he used at CEDIA. The only catch is I have to return them before CEDIA 2015. The upshot is I have a complete GoldenEar Atmos-capable 5.2.4 speaker system in my studio—with in-ceiling speakers for the height channels. I don't want to spoil any forthcoming reviews, but so far I really like what I hear—I'm an unapologetic fan of the GoldenEar sound.

GoldenEar occupied two suites at The Venetian; one dedicated to the Triton 5 demo, the other to the Supersub XXL paired with a 3D Array XL. Sandy was personally running the demos in the Triton Five room, so I made that my first stop.

The Triton Five is a passive speaker design that relies on a pair of 6-inch mid-bass drivers and four passive radiators to create all of its bass output. Compared to the Triton Seven (also a passive design) the Five offers greater bass extension along with slightly greater efficiency—90 dB/W/m instead of 89 dB. It is also a taller speaker than the Seven, with higher power handling (350 watts vs. 300 watts. Ultimately, the Triton Five follows the same formula for sonic success as the Seven—including the use of a D'Appolito array driver configuration and passive radiators.

This graphic shows the insides of the Triton Five.

GoldenEar incorporated refinements into the Triton Five that it derived from the Triton One development program. To my ears, the Fives embody everything I like about the GoldenEar sound—precise and transparent, without being harsh or analytical. A perfect rendition of "Morning " by Beck served as proof of the Five's prowess.

Beck's "Morning" playing through the Triton Fives. I keep a record of what I hear at demos and listen to the same tracks at home.

What I heard coming out of the Triton Fives put a grin on my face. On first listen, the newest Tritons appeared to take everything that's great about the smaller Sevens and elevate the recipe
for their success to new sonic heights. Notably, there was no subwoofer in the system; the Fives produced all the bass that I heard on their own, and it was plentiful plus tight. I sincerely look forward to getting a pair Triton Fives into my studio for a review; I'm excited to compare them side-by-side with the Sevens.

On the other side of the hall at The Venetian, GoldenEar set up a Supersub XXL along with a 3D Array XL speakerbar. A pair of Triton Ones were in the same room, but they were not in use. I must confess, at first I mistook what I actually heard—the 3D Array XL plus the Supersub XXL—for the Triton Ones. The Supersub XXL ups the ante down low—no other GoldenEar product digs deeper into the infrasonic realm.

A peek inside the Supersub XXL.

The Supersub employs two 12-inch drivers in a dual opposed configuration. Additionally, it features a pair of passive radiators—also in a dual opposed configuration—that increase the Supersub's output at the lowest frequencies while keeping the cabinet relatively compact at 18 ⅞” x 15 ¾” x 15 ¼”. The driver pairs—by the very nature of the sub's design—cancel out unwanted vibrations. A nickel resting upright on the Supersub's smooth piano gloss surface provided undeniable proof that it was free of distorting vibrations.

This nickel wasn't going anywhere, even while the Supersub XXL output intense bass.

While it certainly is not cheap, the Supersub XXL is a remarkably powerful yet compact sub that—to my ears—blended perfectly with GoldenEar's 3D Array XL—the combination of was sonic bliss. Even while playing bass-heavy movie clips from The Art of Flight and Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the nickel stayed in place—despite the Supersub XXL's prodigious output.

It is hard for me to believe it has only been a year since I first heard GoldenEar products. In that short time its speakers and subs have become the standard by which I judge other high-value, high-performance audiophile-grade speakers—be it for music or for home theater . Based on what I heard demoed at CES 2015, I expect that to continue to be the case . Who else looks forward to hearing the latest GoldenEar gear?