AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played GOLDMEMBER on my Panny RP91 tonight. What a letdown! Oh, the movie was funny enough and looked pretty good but...pause was a prohibited operation!!!! We're about five years into the DVD format and this kind of crap is stille occuring. Pause does work on my Sony 7700 on my bedroom TV, but I have no idea how to play the "value added" material with either player. Is it possible? Am I missing something or what? Menus should be easy and idiot-proof, which means even I could operate them. I'm not impressed by little charactures of Austin bouncing about the screen.

I've said for years that DVD authoring standards are far too wide. Here's proof again. Prohibited operations is a concept that needs to go the way of the dodo bird. We ought to be able to scan past the FBI warning each and every time our little hearts desire!

Is the GOLDMEMBER DVD a good'un? Maybe it depends on what you try to play it on?

·
Registered
342 Posts
This disc was a little "funky". Why do they ask for widescreen format in the menu when I purchased the widescreen addition in the first plase. I actually watch the first half of the film, but "paused" it on my Toshiba 3700 so I could pick up where I left it(I wouldnt normally do this except with a movie such as this and I wanted to watch the Maryland-Indiana game. Well, the machine automattically shuts itself off after a period of time and goes back to the spot where you left it. Not so on this disc. I dont have an explanation. I also had 2 audio dropouts in the DTS format. Otherwise, smooth sailing but definitely a few "quirks"...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I watched this on my RP-91 and could not pause or fast forward while playing the feature. I believe it has something to do with the infinfilm popups.

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts
I had no problems on my Tosh SD-9200. I was very impressed with the sound quality of the DTS 6.1 Disc-ES. The opening was done extremely well. The PQ was not bad at all. I was disappointed that there were no bloopers in the features. The outakes were o.k.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Picture froze every 5 minutes. Had to hold down FF key untill picture stated again and then hit play. Pioneer DV37 doesn't like! Infinifilm sucks if it's causing this kind of crap. This is the first DVD I have ever had a problem with in at least 3 years.

Brad

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
No code has to be inserted here.
Can you exchange the DVD? Maybe you got a "bum" copy.

Peace.....

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Yep - it's a strange one... had all sorts of problems with this menus on this disk in my HTPC (TheaterTek 1.2 player). First problem disc in a long time. Plays through just fine, just had problems accessing some of the menu features.

Also noticed that one of the middle chapters (the one with all the English subtitles when they're speaking Japanese) is encoded in VIDEO mode, not FILM MODE. Idiots! I hate when they do this! This has become such an issue on many discs that www.hometheaterhifi.com has started to comment on this problem on all their new reviews.

Kal

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Quote:
This tends to happen when the subtitles where done by someone else. And I mean subtitles that are burned into the movie not the ones that can be turned on/off. What happens is another party does the subtitle work and it just stomps on the flags.

They probably have to do these hard coded subtitles in various languages for multiple countries. I suppose they could have used auto subtitles like ST EP1, but then some players have navigator bugs (Toshiba) that prevent that from working. :)

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Yep! Right on the money Stacey! I always knew it had to do with the authoring process and usually happens whne subtitles are added... but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a dvd authoring software production manager would always screw this up. Now that you mention that subs are usually authored in after the fact by regional counterparts (which makes sense) the reason why dvd's often have this problem is obvious!

This lack of attention to detail is what really bugs me - you'd think that the issuing studio would have some sort of Q/A process in place to ensure that the subcontracted companies doing the regional subtitles don't screw up...

Big thanks to your web site ( www.hometheaterhifi.com ) for bringing this more out in the open with your dvd reviews - keep it up! Eventually the studio's will learn to pay attention to what they (and their subcontractors) are doing!

Kal

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
They probably don't consider it a problem because everything is meant to be played back on an interlaced display. This is not going to cause any problems there. :)

I think the bigger problem on AP3 is the the fact that they have two copies of the film on the same disc. (title 1 and title 2) The avg bit rate is 5.6 Mbps for each version. Features when out over quality once again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
I have an SD-9200 as well, and thought that the sound and the picture quality was exceptional!

Absolutely no probs with any of the functions.

Yeah Baby!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,837 Posts
Quote:
eggman,

sounds as if we lucked out.

:D

Anyone else not have any problems?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I'd love to find out if my Rp91 handles it OK but amazon.ca has now twice sent me the Pan & scan version instead of the WIDESCREEN version which I had originally ordered. Friggin tools.

I will give them one more time to send me the correct version. If they screw up again then refund city, here I come.

This dvd is sounding like the original CE of Dinosaur when it came out what, 1.5-2 years ago. Same types of problems.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally figured out the menu using my Sony 7700. Menus ought to be painfully obvious! I'm proably going to keep the disc because in the future I'll be playing it on my Sony 9000 or whatever my next player turns out to be. If the Panny was my only player, it would go back. Maybe I should return it to make a point to New Line?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had the exact problem with my Pioneer DV-37: picture froze every 5 minutes and had to fast forward to get it going again. The picture and sound were excellent when it did play however.

Too bad the software sucks on this disc. I hope they come out with a new version. Infinfilms should really do a recall of this disc due to major software problems. I have sampled comments from three home theater forums and many DVD players are having these same problems.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I cannot use the fast-forward, rewind, or pause functions at all at any point while watching Goldmember on my RP-91 (v250 firmware). Very frustrating!! Why is this a problem with Panasonic players and not others??

If you read the *fine* print on the back of the case, there is this little disclaimer:

"This disc is applicable with all DVD specifications and requirements. Some advanced features may not function on certain players."

Advanced features?? Since when are functions like fast-forward, rewind and pause "advanced features"?? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but basic functions like these should work normally, so you would think. This stinks since those functions would get a workout on this movie. It's definitely the funniest of the three!

yawny

P.S. If you want to voice your frustration to New Line, go here:
http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/feedback.shtml

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.