AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Network Readies 26 Hours Of Live Coverage In HD For U.S.-Europe Team Competition

Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 8/13/2009

While the golf world focuses on the PGA championship at Hazeltine, Golf Channel is prepping for its upcomging coverage of the Solheim Cup women's team competition.

Golf will present 26 hours of live match-play coverage from Rich Harvest Farms, outside of Chicago, in the event pitting Team U.S.A. versus Team Europe. The telecast for the first time will be produced in the high-definition format.

On Friday Aug. 21 and Saturday Aug. 22, the Comcast-owned network will air more than 10 continuous hours of daily live tournament coverage of the Solheim Cup. GolfChannel.com will take over live coverage for two hours on Friday, streaming from 2-4 p.m. (ET), before the network returns for the conclusion of play from 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. On Aug. 23, Golf's live tournament coverage will air from 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

In addition, there will be 14 hours of wrap-around coverage throughout the week.

Brian Hammons and six-time Solheim Cup U.S. team member Dottie Pepper will serve as play-by-play announcer and lead analyst of the network's live tournament coverage. Hall-of-Famer Donna Caponi-Byrnes, LPGA veteran Kay Cockerill, multiple LPGA tournament winner and 1996 U.S. Solheim Cup team member Val Skinner and Phil Parkin will report from the course.

·
Banned
591 Posts
I'd like to see Michelle Wie begin to distinguish herself. This would be a good time to do it and would help with acceptance from her peers, many of whom still resent her early attention. And Natalie Gulbis is on the team(!), always a plus in HD.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Picture quality so far is excellent. Lots of HD golf this weekend: CBS (PGA), NBC (Champions ... I'm assuming will be in HD) and LPGA (extended coverage on Golf Channel).

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily /forum/post/17038592

Lots of HD golf this weekend: NBC (Champions ... I'm assuming will be in HD) .

Since first round coverage on Golf Channel yesterday was HD, that would be a good assumption.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Am I the only person who finds the nearly-continuous scroll at the bottom of The Golf Channel annoying? I understand that it gives them an extra commercial availability in the lower left corner of the screen, but often they're running the scroll when no one's bought the availability. Maybe it's just because I'm pushing 60, but I find it distracting to try and watch golf while something keeps moving at the bottom of the screen. Nor is the information all that important. How many times do I need to see how Darren Clarke fared in this week's European Tour event? We're not talking about breaking news here for the most part. Hell, I'd be happy if they just put the ad in lower left corner and got rid of the scroll.

Once in a while they'll show the matches with no scroll, but I'd estimate that happens less than 10% of the time.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei /forum/post/17044888

Am I the only person who finds the nearly-continuous scroll at the bottom of The Golf Channel annoying?....

If the scroll on GC is annoying to you then watching ESPN must put you thru the roof. The scroll/graphics love fest on ESPN is over the top. Golf Channel at least doesn't run it constantly like ESPN.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
^^ And quite often the scroll bar interferes with being able see a live putt to its conclusion. I find this especially annoying while watching the European Tour coverage. US-produced golf seems to frame putts a bit higher, usually.

But kodos to Golf Ch for a full day of HD coverage of Solheim today.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Where is the YAWN icon? I'm sleepy.

·
Banned
591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern2356 /forum/post/17045683

Where is the YAWN icon? I'm sleepy.

I must confess that the average weekly PGA tour event provides a regular weekend napping opportunity at my house. It's like the perfect background for a nice, restful, siesta.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead /forum/post/17045016

If the scroll on GC is annoying to you then watching ESPN must put you thru the roof. The scroll/graphics love fest on ESPN is over the top. Golf Channel at least doesn't run it constantly like ESPN.

I actually find it more annoying while watching golf. I've seen the same problem with putting that ridgefamus mentioned. I also think that the contrast between the scroll and the game itself is more marked in golf. Scrolls during sports like football seem to matter less because there's already a lot of motion in the frame. I find it harder to concentrate when I watch someone putt with the moving scroll, since what matters are small details like the player's alignment, the grip, or the contours of the green. Golf is a game where stillness is important; the scroll runs counter to that aspect of the game.

In the case of TGC's scroll, there just isn't all that much useful information there, either. I don't really need to see scores on the Nationwide Tour, or tee times for an upcoming PGA event, ten times an hour. I wouldn't mind seeing the scroll for, say, five minutes out of every twenty, but the frequency of the scroll on TGC is overkill for the amount of actual information being presented.

I suppose they've conducted focus groups with TGC viewers about things like this, but given that the golf audience skews old, I'd be surprised if my feelings about the scroll aren't shared by a good chunk of the audience for golf events. Most older viewers grew up with much more static formats for television programming than we see nowadays. Things like scrolls are probably one area where generations differ considerably because of their different historical experiences with television. I don't recall seeing much scrolling text in the network presentations of golf events. Occasionally they'll roll the current scoreboard, but that's about all I can remember seeing during network telecasts.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive /forum/post/17027550

I'd like to see Michelle Wie begin to distinguish herself. This would be a good time to do it and would help with acceptance from her peers, many of whom still resent her early attention. And Natalie Gulbis is on the team(!), always a plus in HD.

Wie certainly did that in Saturday's first match (4-ball). Some remarkable Tiger-like shots! Looks like the final, at 11 am ET today, will be a close one. Good PQ, and agree about any irritating scroll-bars. They managed to cover up a ball rolling to a hole with one yesterday. (Not quite as irritating as switching networks, like the Tennis Channel's true-HD, alternating to ESPN2-HD where it's shown as converted 4:3--like Sharapova's WTA match in true-HD from Toronto last night but with her final from Toronto at 3 pm ET today on ESPN2-HD, presumably in 4:3. [EDIT: Last match Sunday on ESPN2-HD, fortunately was 16X9 720p; one earlier match was only 4:3 here.] -- John

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE /forum/post/17049466

Have you seen the skirt Gulbis is wearing? That'll wake you up.

That's her attire every golf tourny with the exception of a cold rainy day.

Disappointing she didn't get any camera time. She needs to work on her chipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts