AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker.

I am in the process of DIYing an unfinished room into a golf simulator combo theater room. Its been framed waiting for wiring which means I need to figure out speaker set up. The room is 17 ft 7 inch wide and 20 ft long.

The main dilemma is a bulkhead due to immovable pipes. The golf impact screen will be retractable but stop short of the bulkhead due to height restriction. It will sit out 1 foot from the wall. That screen is not acoustically transparent. I also can’t have speakers sitting behind the screen due to impact damage from golf balls. In walls would work.

I currently have a NAD reciever with RCL Triad silver monitors and 2 Salk Sound Rythmik Subs. I can definitely use the reciever and subs, but speakers are a challenge. I am thinking I could cut the drywall setting the monitors another 4 inches deep but that doesn’t 100 percent protect them. The center will be ok because there’s a nook I can set it in. Sound won’t be great when golf screen is down but planning to have a separate theater screen otherwise my options are really limited. I have a BENQ Tk700sti projector. Having two screens will be a pain with the projector but is what is.

I know ceiling speakers are a no no for RCL but I don’t have many options with layout. I want a 7.2.4 setup but budget is not a ton as it’s wrapped up in the golf side of the build. I need 4 surrounds and 4 in ceiling atmos. My questions for all of you way smarter than me are:

1. Are there any in ceiling RCL that are worthy of home theater use in a situation like this with limited options? Know it’s not ideal. I think it’s going to be hard to make the triad silver monitors work Without cutting them into the wall and even then not sure it will be optimal. I don’t know the size of the theater screen yet, I don’t think I’ll be able utilize the area under the bulkhead for theater screen either.

2. Does Triad have a decent in ceiling for my 4 atmos? How about RSL, in ceiling?
Same for in wall surrounds, should I stick with Triad or something different? Given I need 8 total between surround inwall and atmos in ceiling I’m thinking RSL are a good middle ground between cost and performance, looking at $200 per speaker range? I may also need RCL if I can’t use my current silver monitors.

Any other ideas for decent sound in an odd situation like this? Thanks for reading.

Attachments

· Premium Member
32,213 Posts
Long time lurker.

I am in the process of DIYing an unfinished room into a golf simulator combo theater room. Its been framed waiting for wiring which means I need to figure out speaker set up. The room is 17 ft 7 inch wide and 20 ft long.

The main dilemma is a bulkhead due to immovable pipes. The golf impact screen will be retractable but stop short of the bulkhead due to height restriction. It will sit out 1 foot from the wall. That screen is not acoustically transparent. I also can’t have speakers sitting behind the screen due to impact damage from golf balls. In walls would work.

I currently have a NAD reciever with RCL Triad silver monitors and 2 Salk Sound Rythmik Subs. I can definitely use the reciever and subs, but speakers are a challenge. I am thinking I could cut the drywall setting the monitors another 4 inches deep but that doesn’t 100 percent protect them. The center will be ok because there’s a nook I can set it in. Sound won’t be great when golf screen is down but planning to have a separate theater screen otherwise my options are really limited. I have a BENQ Tk700sti projector. Having two screens will be a pain with the projector but is what is.

I know ceiling speakers are a no no for RCL but I don’t have many options with layout. I want a 7.2.4 setup but budget is not a ton as it’s wrapped up in the golf side of the build. I need 4 surrounds and 4 in ceiling atmos. My questions for all of you way smarter than me are:

1. Are there any in ceiling RCL that are worthy of home theater use in a situation like this with limited options? Know it’s not ideal. I think it’s going to be hard to make the triad silver monitors work Without cutting them into the wall and even then not sure it will be optimal. I don’t know the size of the theater screen yet, I don’t think I’ll be able utilize the area under the bulkhead for theater screen either.

2. Does Triad have a decent in ceiling for my 4 atmos? How about RSL, in ceiling?
Same for in wall surrounds, should I stick with Triad or something different? Given I need 8 total between surround inwall and atmos in ceiling I’m thinking RSL are a good middle ground between cost and performance, looking at $200 per speaker range? I may also need RCL if I can’t use my current silver monitors.

Any other ideas for decent sound in an odd situation like this? Thanks for reading.
If you're doing in-ceilings for the front 3 and the surrounds, Atmos would be a redundant and complete waste of money---the whole point of Atmos is to provide overhead sounds to CONTRAST and complement ear level sounds.

Reactions: markmon1

· Registered
160 Posts
As already stated, if your bed layer is in-ceiling speakers, atmos is not really an option. With all sound coming from above, there will be no good separation between channels/objects. Also, at 8’8”, you’re pushing the limits for ceiling height and freely swinging a club, mounting projector, etc. usually simulators require minimum 9’. And 10’ is usually the comfortable minimum. If you want atmos, AT screen with in-walls behind it. Then you can drop down the hitting mat in front of it.

· Registered
15,132 Posts
There is no room for front speakers, as the screen takes up the entire wall. That makes HT kind of a moot point and Atmos impossible, if planting all the speakers in the ceiling. That said, if you really want to go with in-ceiling speakers, then you will need to have highly angled speakers, such as the Golden Ear HTR 7000 or the Def Tech UIW RCS III. No idea what you will do to properly protect them, however. Recessing them further into the ceiling will destroy any possibility of decent sound quality. Some sort of screening ...

On second thought, You should probably go cheap on this, as the odds of a good outcome are quite steep and speakers being destroyed by flying golf balls should be inexpensively replaced (you should probably get a few extras right from the start so they will be readily on hand. Outdoor Speaker Depot has a selection of inexpensive angled in-ceiling speakers.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As already stated, if your bed layer is in-ceiling speakers, atmos is not really an option. With all sound coming from above, there will be no good separation between channels/objects. Also, at 8’8”, you’re pushing the limits for ceiling height and freely swinging a club, mounting projector, etc. usually simulators require minimum 9’. And 10’ is usually the comfortable minimum. If you want atmos, AT screen with in-walls behind it. Then you can drop down the hitting mat in front of it.
[/QUOT

thabkhave plenty of room for me to swing. I swing
I have plenty of room to swing. I freely swing already in other parts of the basement without issue at same height. The speakers are the issue. There is no height minimum for a radar based system as long one can swing freely. The projector will not be in the way, height is not ideal but it will work fine for me. Thanks for the info on atmos.

· Registered
9,361 Posts
Wear BT in-ear headphones when golfing. No speakers to damage with golf balls, and they give you total range of motion.
Are your Triads in-room or in-wall? I would think that if they were in-wall behind two screens (impact screen and AT screen) and possibly speaker grilles, then they -should- be well-protected. Wire mesh for a screen door could help too, but I don't know if there are any out there that are Audiophile-certified... lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts