AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that GOM is the standard fabric of choice for use in our theaters, but a recent trip to a Home Depot "EXPO" design center gave my wife the chance to see GOM up close and personal. It is hard to argue that the fabric is "boring", at least the 30 odd samples we looked at.

So the million dollar question is........"Are there any other fabrics available that have "personality" as well as the acoustic properties of GOM?" Since the planning of our home theater began she has been receptive to fabric on the walls. Trips to commercial theaters, our church, and other venues that have acoustic panels installed have been educational for her as to the value. She has pointed out that most commercial theaters using acoustic panels have "patterned fabrics" probably chosen by a commercial theater designer. Im sure these fabrics meet the requirements of the architecs for sound control and absobtion or is solid color GOM the only choice?

Has anyone used or is aware of fabrics that will suit our needs as well as past muster with the significant other. She has already shot down most if not all of my carpeting ideas, as she found a black patterned wool carpet at $11 per square foot installed, but that is another battle and a story for later.

If there are better fabric choices, please advise, if not then.....I will have to find ways to "bargain" and we all know how expensive that can be!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check out this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=GOM

If you do a search on GOM you will get a lot of advice on installing GOM on walls. From what I have gleamed from reading the other posts on this site that if you are installing fabric on walls, your primary concern is fire resistant material and acoustic transparent material. GOM makes fabric in many differenet patterns and colors that may be suitable; if you go to their website you can see samples. My only concern would be flammability.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor06
Check out this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=GOM

If you do a search on GOM you will get a lot of advice on installing GOM on walls. From what I have gleamed from reading the other posts on this site that if you are installing fabric on walls, your primary concern is fire resistant material and acoustic transparent material. GOM makes fabric in many differenet patterns and colors that may be suitable; if you go to their website you can see samples. My only concern would be flammability.
All the Guilford fabrics are Class-A flame retardant.

- Terry

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv
I know that GOM is the standard fabric of choice for use in our theaters, but a recent trip to a Home Depot "EXPO" design center gave my wife the chance to see GOM up close and personal. It is hard to argue that the fabric is "boring", at least the 30 odd samples we looked at.
You should really check out GOM's website. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of different designs. Plus, they'll send you free samples of what you like. After ordering mine, I had them in 2 days so it's very quick. I'm using black GOM on the bottom of my walls and around the screen. Here's what I'm using on the top of the walls.....
http://theater.loosechangerocks.net/img6127.jpg

Here's the 2 choices together....
http://theater.loosechangerocks.net/img6129.jpg

This is another one I thought of.....
http://theater.loosechangerocks.net/img6033.jpg

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I agree with Jerrod - vistit the site GOM

I ordered about 40 samples for my wife to look at and she went back and forth a while, but ended up liking a cobination of solid colors. There are plenty of designs to go with, and if you're putting them on the walls, no need to worry about acoustic transparency.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also wanted a different look than the standard 701 GoM. I found a product called SoundSuede from Acoustical Solutions ( www.acousticalsolutions.com ) that I think will fit my bill. A rebuild of my present theater will begin towards the end of October. I called the company and they said the material is as acoustically transparent as GoM and has been popular for home theater use. The material is Class A flame retardant and comes in 45 different colors. You need to order the samples to see how elegant the look of the fabric is. I plan to build frames and use a combination of Linacoustic and cotton batting. Beveling the frames and putting them side by side will give a nice look. The material comes in 62" width and is sold by the yard. Pricing is about $30.00 per yard but a bolt (60 yards) is about half price at $1050.00. Does not include shipping. Check it out.

Bondsan

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsan
Pricing is about $30.00 per yard but a bolt (60 yards) is about half price at $1050.00. Does not include shipping.
I think that price is just a bit out of my budget. GoM can be found for under 1/2 that price and Dazian cloth is even 1/3 the price of GoM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.