AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to cover 3 walls of the theatre walls in a dark grey (Medium Grey) FR701 fabric, allowing me to hide the acoustic treatments behind the fabric. Will i need to paint the walls behind the fabric in black, or a dark colour or will that depend on the lighting?

My inclination is to cover the room in the panels and then see if paint is required unless anyone has had experience that says otherwise?

appreciate any help on this

here is my theatre build link..
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510688/drama-in-the-theatre-building-a-12-seater-home-theatre

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,673 Posts
I test my fabric all the time to see if I need to paint. Your biggest enemy is contrast. So if you have yellow acoustical treatments surround by black walls that contrast may show depending on the fabric and the color of fabric. My gut is medium gray FR701 is not prone to show through. Black definitely is. I know that unpainted wood furring next to black coated Linacoustic will show through several colors of FR701. The true test is the flash picture test. Sometimes you don't see anything then some one takes a flash picture and everything is revealed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC  /t/1523738/gom-fr701-fabric-panels-do-i-need-to-paint-behind-them#post_24515540

I test my fabric all the time to see if I need to paint. Your biggest enemy is contrast. So if you have yellow acoustical treatments surround by black walls that contrast may show depending on the fabric and the color of fabric. My gut is medium gray FR701 is not prone to show through. Black definitely is. I know that unpainted wood furring next to black coated Linacoustic will show through several colors of FR701. The true test is the flash picture test. Sometimes you don't see anything then some one takes a flash picture and everything is revealed.

i will have to ban flash photography!!

thanks for the advice, we will wait till we have the acoustic panels in place and can then decide.

hope all going well with you - this project has taken a lot longer than i expected! i am enjoying the attention to detail that the contractors are giving.

Cant imagine how such a space could be built in a few weeks, let alone months!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts