Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

The only source for GOM that I know is Silent Source. It said on their webpage that bolts of the FR701 fabrics are 66" in width. Is this the widest length that the fabric is available? If you install the fabric vertically, you will need columns every 5 or 6 feet OC (depending on the width of your columns) to avoid seams.

Is this the case, or can you get a wider width to increase the length between columns (i.e. seams).

Also, what is there another good source for GoM besides silent source.

Regards,

- Hal

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
It can be seamed. We have a lot of rooms where I work with seamed GOM. It looks fine if professionally done. The trick is to keep the seam straight.

For my HT at home and as others have done here, use chair rail. Apply the fabric horizontally. You will need another nailing strip around the room at 66" down from the ceiling or soffit. At 66" down to the floor apply another piece, can be a different color for a more dramatic effect. Then cover the seam with chair rail moulding.

The raw fabric is about 68in with a sewn in binder that is great to staple through. 66in is the usable area.

What's wrong with Silent Source? I had great service from them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If I want to mount my firring strips & linacoustic/poly batting before I get my GoM will I be safe to run strips 66" OC?

I thought about running firring strips @ 48" to go with the linacoustic but it seems like a lot of GoM would be wasted.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

How do you create a seam? Is there a "how to" thread on the forum?

There is nothing wrong with Silent Source. They are just the only source I know and I wanted to do a price comparison. I will probably use them for the convience factor alone.

I have not decided how I am going to do this yet. I will probably hang it horizontally, but will trim the gom to 48" to match the insulation. My walls are only about 6'6" up to the soffits (with 7' ceilings), so for now, I am not even planning on treating on top part of the walls up to the soffits.

I could hang it horizontally, and 48" off the bolt, and put a trim over the stapled furring strip. My room is basically 15x20, so that would give my 4 panels on each wall. That could look cool and it would save me some money on gom (but cause more work in putting up the insulation furring strips and additional trim). Ahh, decisions, decisions... :)

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris.

Your album is massive. I clicked on the link and it brought up the framing photo's. I poked around and saw where you were putting up a tan colored GOM. However, I could not find photo's of the finished product. I went to the end, then got lazy. What colors did you use?

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hal,

Silent Source is your best bet. You can buy directly from Guilford of Maine, but their prices are higher. I believe both Silent Source and GOM will send out free color samples. Dennis Erskine might be a source as well.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had a great experience purchasing my GOM fabric from soundfold.com. They were *significantly* cheaper than silent source if you bought a full roll (they were cheaper for cut pieces too, just not as much). Email them for a quote and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I placed my order on Monday and had my GOM on Thursday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.