AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe it. On 4-13-10 another GWTW blu ray release, only this time in 1.77.1 - I know I'm not upgrading. Why didn't they release that w/the other. Anyone else going to upgrade
:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Don't you mean DOWNgrade?

The OAR is 1.33:1 (maybe 1.37:1). 1.77:1 would mean the image was blown up and chopped.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, they are calling it an upgrade, and charging 34.99 on top of it. Comes out 4-13-10 - I would have bought it like that originally. I hate the black side bars.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspin /forum/post/18269946

Well, they are calling it an upgrade, and charging 34.99 on top of it. Comes out 4-13-10 - I would have bought it like that originally. I hate the black side bars.

I see that you also hate grain - how about black bars on the top and bottom of the picture?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
GWTW chopped up to 1.78 is blasphemy. Of course this has been done before (1954) in the theatrical release to great criticism. Looks like full screen for J6P has come full circle from SDTV days.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
thank goodness. I thought the OP was right. I'd be mega pissed if they started a trend of chopping movies on blu.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts of iron /forum/post/18273480

Where did the OP get that information ?

Most likely Amazon. Which can never be trusted. They put the wrong technical specs more than they do the correct ones.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would assume that he found the spec at Amazon .

I checked this morning and Amazon listed;

Language: English

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1

Number of discs: 3

But it seems that Amazon has corrected the spec now.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/18270159

Racist.

Actually, GWIW is extremely racist and couldn't be made the same way today.

Coincidentally, I watched the Fear and Loathing BD last night for the 1st time and it looks excellent.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/18273626

Coincidentally, I watched the Fear and Loathing BD last night for the 1st time and it looks excellent.

Perhaps. But interestingly, "Mammy" is the smartest, most loyal, most effective person in the film, with only "Melanie" being kinder. Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar for her performance.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/18273626

Is it "racist" if the depictions in the movie are not inaccurate? I have no idea if the O'Hara slaves would have or could have been like the movie portrays them, but if they would have or could have been that way, then how would it be "racist" to show people acting and talking the way they actually might have acted and talked? While it may be true that the O'Haras and other slaveowners were themselves "racists" in the sense that they considered the Black "race" to be inferior to the White "race" (or the English or French "race" to be inferior to the Irish "race," or the Protestant or Jewish "race" to be inferior to the Catholic "race"), is it "racist" to depict the house and lifestyle of a seemingly-"racist" family?

And, FWIW, GWTW is ultra-PC compared to THE BIRTH OF A NATION. Talk about a movie that couldn't be made the same way today....

And "racist" is often in the eyes of the beholder. Is it not also "racist" to demand that a particular "race" only be portrayed a certain way but never, never, never, ever, ever, EVER be portrayed in (a) certain other way(s)?

So while it's okay to portray, e.g., German Nazis in whatever ways one wants to portray them - e.g., evil, stupid, bumbling, heartless, oafish, etc. - even if there are Nazis that weren't that way, it's somehow "racist" and not allowed to EVER portray certain "races" in certain ways or hint that such persons might be or do such, even if particular members of that "race" do in fact act or talk or behave in those ways.

O... kay. I think I get it. Sure. Right. Uh-huh. Whatever....

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd /forum/post/18273602

I would assume that he found the spec at Amazon .

I checked this morning and Amazon listed;

Language: English

Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1

Number of discs: 3

But it seems that Amazon has corrected the spec now.

Well, strictly speaking, the video on the disc is encoded in widescreen.. the windowboxing is part of the image. So, technically, it's 1.78:1.

Just figured I'd throw that out there to get somebody riled up.. LOL.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Thanks to the person who posted the back cover of the upcoming 3 disc edition. Looks like I'm still not upset that I bought the 2 disc UK import! I already have the "When the Lion Roars" DVD from the 3 disc WIZARD OF OZ.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/18273358

thank goodness. I thought the OP was right.

You thought someone who "hates grain" & "hates blackbars" was right?!?!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts