AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in Blightey painted their own screen?

Shipping Goo from Canada looks expensive and I was wondering if

anyone had used paints more easily available in the UK.

Not being a videophile Im wondering how a plain plasterboard wall with either a matt white or satin finish would look. I havent actually boarded the room yet and my Tosh MT8 is currently projecting onto a bed sheet stapled accross the wall studs! I still cant get over how great that looks!

Also there is the issue of borders. One reason I wanted to paint my own on the wall is to be able to zoom up widescreen movies. My wall (at the end of a converted loft) is more or less 2.35:1 so effectively I can have non-letterboxed 2.35:1. Doe it really matter if you dont have black borders around the edges? Unless you have movable borders they seem very restrictive.

Newbie trying to grasp the many complexities of home cinema :confused:

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
KBK has recently reduced carriage for Goo to Europe and the UK, so it's the same for us as it is for US purchasers.

I put black carpet on my wall (also my loft), and then hung a DIY screen on it like a picture.

I currently don't have any masking for 2.35:1 movies, but did consider black felt on a board which could be hung from the top or bottom of the screen after moving the image up or down. It depends if you find the borders above and below the image distracting. You could use 2 smaller boards if you want to keep the image central.

Black borders tend to make the image look like it has more contrast, and a border finishes it off in much the same way a picture frame does a picture. After all, you are watching moving pictures!

Plain matt white will be fine for a start, or try using Dulux Ice Storm 5 or 6 if you want a grey screen. These paints don't have any gain, so will look duller than Goo or a screen with gain. As paint is pretty cheap, it won't cost you much to experiment.

Thought about a DIY screen? You just make a frame and stretch blackout cloth or some proper screen material over it. I've done both and it works well. Screen material can be bought from Harkness Hall or Ellie here in the UK.

HTH

Gary.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The shipping still costs about $85-95CDN for the UK delivery, but we are absorbing -most- of that loss, for the time being. We are charging, on average, about $15 US more to UK and European customers. US delivery of a 1 liter "Kit" (consiting of 1 liter of Topcoat and 1 liter of Basecoat), is $137US for the US-delivery included. For the UK, it is about $150US, Delivery included.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies....

I like the idea of making up a material screen although choosing the fabric seems more art than science.

Im going to see how even the end wall finishes up and may paint it white initially. Depending on the result I can go to either proper Goo or material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.