AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have posted these earlier. Here is two designs that were quick and dirty that I put together for the Canuck Shootout I hosted.

In the interest of brevity I will do each one seperately...

This first one is made up of 1*2's 10' ers to stand out over the window moulding... There is three windows behind this screen which is just shy 10' wide. I do not have a video on this screen pic because I took it to accomodate another thread where the person took a pic and you could see hotspotting from every ambient light source in the room. A good screen will not do this.

Ok back to the screen. On the 1*2's is 1*4's and these are secured by metal corner brackets. The parklands was sprayed with digital grey lite screen coating...

The fabric is a black velvet material that just crushes any image and is the very best I have seen. Better than any of the so called best. I stapled the fabric to the frame... Before I did this I used a router and rounded the outside of the frame. Then I chamfered with the router the inside of the frame. Looks good... hard to depict in the picture because I just cannot get any detail due to how good it actually works.

I took the frame ...layed it out and put 3/4 boards down to hold up the parklands.. easier to apply since it was almost 10' wide and did not want any sags. I then just stapled the parklands to the wood at the rear of the frame. Voila... took all of 2 hours to make... 1 hour of actual spraying time.

Note the lack of hotspotting on the actual screen finish with a flash. or the lack of reflection by any of the ambient light.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my pop riveted steel stud frame. Also in a flash had to make up another screen in Goo CRT White... Well I didnt have to..

Yes these are common steel 2" studs .... again 10' ers and the excess for cross bracing... Steel studs cost about 2 dollars each.

I can pick this one up and handle it with one hand. Light .. and it will not warp like wood.

Just cut to size... drill holes and pop rivet together. Piece of cake.

I am just showing the back of this screen to give you a better view... Take my word for it.. no hotspotting on the Crt White Goo either.

This one took about the same total time to make.

Way more time to spray tho due to the improper qualities of the actual fabric. The weave was way to open... but it was a product that was again touted as the cats arse in here without a coating which looked like crap..

I used steel screws with ringlets to hold the fabric... Stretched the fabric using canvas technique...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just incase we use different lingo.. A pic of the pop rivet...

You will note that I used duct tape on the back of the metal...

I am writing a book on all the uses of duct tape.. and was running out of ideas...

Actually I was not too sure about the conductivity of dust to the metal... you know if you have steel studs on an outside wall .... thought this would prevent or at least prohibit this activity... so far so good ... was built in April.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's mine.

Built with a similar technique. Covered in Velvet, except it was painted with a roller and a matte white base coat. 1 Coat.

No hotspotting with the flash on.

This weekend I think Ill add Ddogs formula to it.

The picture of LOTR doesnt do it justice, its much sharper just couldnt pause the picture well.

I have an LT-240, the picture actually lights up the whole room, im going to try and dull it down a bit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
And the LOTR shot

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh Luke..

Lookin good...

I never did get the actual name of the velvet...

I may be doing another one very soon... Cant have enough screens in a showroom. Will try and get the sku or name of the material I used for the border.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Please let us know what you think between the Goo and Ddog!!

Where did you but the velvet from?

Thanks,

bedo

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gain on the Crt White is about 1.5. and on the Digital Grey Lite it is about 1.25.

What the dilio on da Ddog? Sorry havent been in the screen forum for a while.

Velvet I got from a mill nearby. Feels great... Works great. width is just wide enough to do 4 to 6 inch strips and do the four sides so very little waste. The underside is very shiny and just seems to sponge any light. It was actually difficult taking a pic of it at close range because the camera just picked it up as a black mass, or blob.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the results again from the Canuck Shootout on the screens that were rated by attendees...

Some of projectors were

Sony HS10

Epson TW100

Infocus X1

Goo .5

Nec LT260

JVC SX21

Studio Experience 20 HD ... (PLV70)

I summarized the screens that were rated and put them in order of people selecting which they rated the highest..second highest... third.. etc.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm interpretting this chart right. Does this mean most people ranked the HCCV as #2 and Goo CRT White as #2 ?

Sorry to say it, but the graph is pretty confusing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
eameres,

I redistributed the data to show the rankings more clearly.

Attached is the file

screens.pdf 6.6396484375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is some of the conclusions I made from the results.

It may be confusing if you are looking for an out and out winner.

High Contrast Cinema Vision... This was picked the most times as the favorite across the board. Scored highest as first and second favorite.

Therefore a great choice for a screen for the long term with most any technology and projector. A fairly safe bet. You will note that the only difference between this screen and the HC matte white is the actual material that is used and that the Cinema Vision has a pearlescence coating on it.

Goo Digital Grey Lite... This also scored extremely well. It was one of the largest screens at the event... A DIY job with a nice black velvet 4" border. It yielded the second highest as the favorite. Proof that many may actually prefer a DIY screen over commercial choices. It was Parklands Plastic coated with Goo combo... via a gravity feed HVLP gun. Not yet fully cured either. Note I coated the smooth side of the Parklands as I was trying to see how well the Goo scattered the reflected image on its own.

Da-Lite Hi-Power... It is important to note that a significant amount of people chose this screen. It didnt score the highest but a significant amount of people chose this screen... Highly possible that you could be one of the people that prefer this technology. Since at any one point in time there was so many people in the room... I would say with up to over possible 70 at any one time in the room, that the people sitting outside of the ideal viewing cone of this screen may have picked this as their favorite as well. Some were surprised how much they did like it. You just do not know till you see for yourself.

Goo CRT White... There was a correlationship between the people that liked the High Power and the CRT White. This screen was a Celtic Cloth Coated screen with the Goo CRT White. 100" diagonal... 4:3. Note that the Digital grey lite was 16:9 and had a black border where the CRT White did not have a black border... This would have boosted the perceived contrast and it is possible that some would have swayed their decision one way or the other. From the results it did seem though the people that liked the extra punch of the Hi-Power also liked this screen and could be the most attributable factor in the decision. The application...of Goo to the Celtic Cloth... I would not recommend it. The weave is way to open and it takes too much to coat the screen properly. Also the Celtic cloth is dipped and has mica flakes on it. When spraying the pressure of the spray picks draws the flakes into the weave and they stand straight up. Used a full two litre combo of Goo to coat this. Where the parklands using the same technique used only 66% of the topcoat of one litre, and the parklands screen was 50% larger. Colors more vibrant was the common response to this screen... some preferred the better contrast of the digital grey lite.

Stewart Greyhawk... This screen requires a light cannon... The only projectors that did well with this screen were the 20HD, and the NECLT260. No real surprise here. It was a beautiful screen supplied by Stewart.

Da-Lite HC DaMat .. This screen is about the same in terms of the comments as the Stewart Greyhawk... It wasnt as pretty as the Stewart..ie the velvet wide borders... and the 2.35:1 format was way cooler than the larger 4:3 DaMat. Most would have found them similar with the same size and the same screen border frame.

Straight Parklands... no coating... scored a good number but about 25 to 30% less than the other screens. It did well on its own... I liked the way the goo adhered to it. It dried well. It scored uncoated alot better than the painted combination that was touted here as a great solution.

Celtic Cloth... Uncoated ... results speak for itself.

Plastic Polymer... Many people come up with some of these solutions every once in a while... This stuff hot spotted like crazy. and due to the oily resin surface.. would not recommend coating it.

Behr stag / pearlescence combo... alot of time went into getting this as good as it could get by a pro installer.... spent the better part of a day . It was the most horrid solution I had seen so far.

So I guess here is what I came away with... You can take peoples opinions about which screen is best. Having done this I can now make recommendations on what most people have tended to do, or would choose given certain conditions, screen size, room parameters. If you can go and see the screens with your own eyes ... this is the best way to go. Do not let others make decisions for you.

Thanks for the work you did on the alternate graph... DIY Guy....

Maybe this will help some. You will note on the original that with some screens like the hi-power... it is worthy to note that it is more of a love / hate kinda product technology wise, Nothing wrong with loving something that others do not like. Some people will go out and buy a screen thinking it is all good ... a screen is a screen is a screen. Screens are a necessary part of the equation... getting it right is just as important as the projector you choose.

PS... I did not participate in the feedback.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing about being on these forums... my keyboarding skills have skyrocketed to where I should be on Lettermen soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Mandarax...

Do you recommend the smooth side of the Parkland over the rough side for application of the goo? As you know :D , I am going with digital lite and rolling it on, not spraying it...

Regards

Randy

·
Registered
525 Posts
MAN, I'd assume that the 7200 would have lit up a few more faces on the stewart huh? Did the hccv keep up with it using the light cannon fp's you had on hand, or did you feel the stewart was superior? I'm debating between the 2 stewarts and the da-lite hccv and am going to get samples I hope:) thanks, and good work!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy... I applied the goo to the smooth side.

The HCCV seemed to do well with all the projectors.

Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.