AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for 2.1 system. It must have RCA connections (black/white plugs?). Main use is for gaming and bluray playback. I just need it for my bedroom so don't need something powerful. Do you guys have any recommendation? Is an active speaker good enough for this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in the market for 2.1 system. It must have RCA connections (black/white plugs?). Main use is for gaming and bluray playback. I just need it for my bedroom so don't need something powerful. Do you guys have any recommendation? Is an active speaker good enough for this?
Keep in mind that I don't use 2.1 so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt:

R.C.A. is usually red and white, but although I must admit I've seen red and black cables before. You can buy cables to directly adapt R.C.A. directly to 1/8th T.R.S. which will probably be necessary since most 2.1 systems are meant for use with computers.

Also, since 2.1 systems are intended for use with computers, I'm skeptical that a 2.1 system will work adequately for typical bedroom use, since you'll probably be lying down on the bed at least several feet away, rather than sitting down next to them at a desk as intended. I think you'd probably be better served by purpose fitted 2 channel speakers, particularly since reviewers of 2.1 systems often tend to say that the sub doesn't perform quite like a sub as a result.

If you have your heart set on a 2.1 product, I'd consider the Swan M50W since it's a relatively large for a 2.1 system and might work a bit better from a little farther away as a result. However do be warned that the R.C.A. jacks on that system are amplified outputs, so you shouldn't hook those up to source devices or powered speakers. The input is a 1/8th T.R.S. minijack connector. Another thing you'll need to be careful about is the spring loaded terminals on the stereo speakers: Specifically you ought to be sure not to mix up positive and negative connections.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts