AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current roommate is moving out and will be taking his speakers with him, so I will be in the market to finally build a sound system of my own.

I have absolutely nothing, so I will need to purchase a receiver, sub and speakers.

I think I would like to go for a 5.1 channel set-up, my primary uses for the system would be Music, Gaming and watching Blu-Rays/ 3D Blu Rays.

I recently purchased the LG LM6700 tv, so keep this in mind if it will have any affect on which receiver would be best.

If anybody has any recommendations for a good set-up for my purposes, I would love to hear your feedback!

I would like to keep my total cost for the system around $1,500 range, but that is just a ballpark, I will be willing to spend more if necessary.

Below is a picture of my current living room.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are lots of options. Do you prefer bookshelf or tower speakers?

It looks like Emotiva and SVS are both having sales. Also, Hsu research has some 5.1 packages that would work for you.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Front speakers: Infinity Primus p163 x 2 = $170 shipped

center speaker: Infinity primus c350 = $200 shipped

surround speakers: Infinity Primus p143 x 2 = $120 shipped

subwoofer: Hsu VTF2 mk4 = $582 shipped

AVR: Yamaha RX-V671 = $400 shipped

That is a killer system and comes in underbudget, but remember you will need stuff like cables, mounts, stands, etc, so you will be closer to 1600 in the end rather than 1500. Get your speaker wire and HDMI cables from Monoprice or Blue Jeans . If you need speaker mounts, the ones to get are the AM40 Pinpoint side-clamping mounts - they hold the most weight and you don't even have to drill holes in your speakers to mount them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the recommendations, I am going to look into what you suggested there.

What is the primary advantage of floor standing speakers vs. bookshelf speakers?

Also, I think if I go with what you suggested, I would try to mount all the speakers on the wall, what is the best height? I am assuming ear level while sitting on the couch, or slightly higher?

Thanks again

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22173423

Front speakers: Infinity Primus p163 x 2 = $170 shipped

AVR: Yamaha RX-V671 = $400 shipped

That is a killer system and comes in underbudget, but remember you will need stuff like cables, mounts, stands, etc, so you will be closer to 1600 in the end rather than 1500. Get your speaker wire and HDMI cables from Monoprice or Blue Jeans . If you need speaker mounts, the ones to get are the AM40 Pinpoint side-clamping mounts - they hold the most weight and you don't even have to drill holes in your speakers to mount them.

The speakers and sub would be a good setup for you.

However, if I'm not mistaken, that model Yamaha does not appear to have the multi point YPAO version. Consequently, it does not EQ the sub. I would recommend looking at a Denon in your receiver budget range that has Audyssey MultiEQ or better that does EQ the sub. That will enhance the sub performance in your room.

Reactions: Djoel

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are tons of options out there ... Do you want/need heavy bass? If you're in an apartment, $500 might be wasted on a sub right now. You could put that into higher quality towers that will have decent bass, then you can add to it when your situation allows. Do you want bookshelves vs floor standing speakers? Do you want your rear surrounds mounted on the wall, or will they be on stands/shelves? What about the receiver: are there any features other than 5.1 and HDMI that are required? If you don't need AirPlay, Networking, up-conversion, etc, the Denon 1712 has the same sound quality as the 2112, but you can save about $130, and put that toward better speakers.

If you stick with Primus, the setup below might suit you well.

Infinity Primus P363 : $199/pair (if you have a Fry's near by)
Infinity Primus P163 : $150/pair (use coupon codes: http://slickdeals.net/f/4806394-Infninity-P163-bookshelf-speaker-74-each-FS )
Infinity Primus PC350 : $129
Denon 2112Ci : $379

Your pick of sub: $300 - $500

Total: $1157 - $1357 + tax/shipping where it applies

If you want bookshelves and don't mind spending a bit more, I'd consider one of the Hsu packages:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html

... and lots more.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174115

I appreciate the recommendations, I am going to look into what you suggested there.

What is the primary advantage of floor standing speakers vs. bookshelf speakers?

Also, I think if I go with what you suggested, I would try to mount all the speakers on the wall, what is the best height? I am assuming ear level while sitting on the couch, or slightly higher?

Thanks again

Bookshelf speakers can have great sound quality, but typically they won't play quite as loud, and/or the bass doesn't extend quite as far. Floor standing speakers are nice in that they don't require stands.

I have floor standing speakers up front, and the ideal is to have all three front speakers so the tweeter is at ear level. My rear surrounds are set so the tweeter is about 2 ft above ear level, but they are not pointed down. The aim straight out into the room, over my head.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174115

I appreciate the recommendations, I am going to look into what you suggested there.G

Thanks again

Biggest advantage for towers is going to be 2 channel music or situations where you don't have a dedicated subwoofer. For home theater with a dedicated subwoofer, there is less advantage. I have heard many bookshelf and subwoofer packages that were better than a similar priced tower speaker setup.

Keep in mind that most tower speakers sound best when placed 1-2' away from walls and bookshelf speakers may offer more placement options. If you have the right room and placement for towers, then I usually recommend them, especially if you listen to 2 channel audio.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:

The room size and some placement issues can play a part in this - preference and choice is part of the decision - also a good

subwoofer can play a part in the decision. I will take a good overall quality bookshelf, over a weaker quality tower, the sub can

fill in the bass. I have some bookshelves that can play loud with good dynamics, imaging and soundstage, and they can easily

cross-over to a sub with good bass balance. The decision is yours to make

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking I might like to go with towers in the front, if for nothing else because they will not require a stand.

I know a couple people mentioned the receiver, I would like if possible to have a receiver that supports AirPlay.

It looks like the Denon 2112Ci that Guns suggested does support this.

If you guys look at my first post, I included a picture of my living room, with my current tv set up in the corner of the room.

Where exactly would be a good spot for me to put the center channel? I might be able to put it under my tv, on the tv stand, but that sounds like it might not be best?

The room is roughly 19X16 with vaulted ceilings, does that change anything as far as what has been recommended?

Right now, based on all your suggestions, I am thinking of going with one of the Infinity Packages that has recommended above.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Polk Monitor60 or Monitor70 series speakers are popular in your budget range. Check Newegg.com and subscribe to their mailing list. They often have promo codes on the Polk speakers.

What kind of speakers does your roommate have that you are using right now? And tell us how you like them (or not)? That could help with recommendations.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174739

I am thinking I might like to go with towers in the front, if for nothing else because they will not require a stand.

I know a couple people mentioned the receiver, I would like if possible to have a receiver that supports AirPlay.

It looks like the Denon 2112Ci that Guns suggested does support this.

If you guys look at my first post, I included a picture of my living room, with my current tv set up in the corner of the room.

Where exactly would be a good spot for me to put the center channel? I might be able to put it under my tv, on the tv stand, but that sounds like it might not be best?

The room is roughly 19X16 with vaulted ceilings, does that change anything as far as what has been recommended?

Right now, based on all your suggestions, I am thinking of going with one of the Infinity Packages that has recommended above.

There is not much you can do about this, but your front speakers being in the corner appear to have somewhat narrow soundstage and are very close to the walls which can affect sound.

Again, not much you can do aside from moving the room around, but I would look for a slimmer tower and make sure it is not rear ported. I am a fan of the Infinity Primus speakers for the price, especially for home theater.

As for center channel placement under the TV is probably the only spot I see that works.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174739

You do not want your center channel speaking to your coffee table.

One option, is a top mounted LCD speaker bracket.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_348550/Speaker-Shelves.html?tp=36255

Another option is to use shelving, like cel4145 used.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390240/get-your-tv-off-your-center-channel-with-this-stand

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174857

your front speakers being in the corner appear to have somewhat narrow soundstage and are very close to the walls which can affect sound.

Again, not much you can do aside from moving the room around, but I would look for a slimmer tower and make sure it is not rear ported.

X2

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174864

You do not want your center channel speaking to your coffee table.

One option, is a top mounted LCD speaker bracket.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_348550/Speaker-Shelves.html?tp=36255

Another option is to use shelving, like cel4145 used.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390240/get-your-tv-off-your-center-channel-with-this-stand

I like the shelf cel4115 used. Should put the tweeters at or near ear level I would think...

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174922

I like the shelf cel4115 used. Should put the tweeters at or near ear level I would think...

That would be my first choice - if I had to compromise, then the LCD center bracket.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174934

That would be my first choice - if I had to compromise, then the LCD bracket.

Thanks for reminding me to update that post. I have since upgraded and put a 60+ lb plasma TV on top now, and it seems to be fine with the weight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22174912

X2

I am thinking this setup, are these towers rear ported?

Infinity Primus P363: $199/pair

Denon 2112Ci: $379

Would this be a solid set up for my purposes?

The current speakers in my living room are Polk Audio RT600i with a Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver, no sub. They sound okay to me.

How would the above Infinity 5.1 set-up compare to those speakers?

·
Registered
11,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22175598

Denon 2112Ci: $379

The current speakers in my living room are Polk Audio RT600i with a Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver, no sub. They sound okay to me.

How would the above Infinity 5.1 set-up compare to those speakers?

Primus speakers are front ported. I think you picked out a nice system there. I used to own Polk Rti series, and for home theater, I prefer the Primus speakers.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb3408  /t/1417819/good-5-1-set-up-recommendations-1-500-budget#post_22175598

The front ported Infinity speakers with the Denon receiver, is a nice option for you - be ready for

that subwoofer experience. I will say, that I prefer Infinity over Polk.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts