AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an HK354 to start upgrading my setup. I also have a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector. Now what i'm missing is a decent set of speakers and subwoofer.

Unfortunately I don't exactly know a lot about speakers so I have no idea what I should be looking for. Whats a good set of 7.1 speakers w. sub to complement my current projector and receiver? My price range is around $1000 for all the speakers and sub, but can perhaps go up to $1500 if that is really necessary to get a good setup.

I prefer either standing or wall hanging speakers rather than bookshelf, but I am open to pretty much anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im on holiday currrently, and don't even know exactly what the room measures, however I would imagine it is close to 20ft x 20 ft. I have drawn a rough idea of what it looks like, since it is worth noting that on one side there is basically an open wall leading to another room, while on the other side there is an open corridor leading to the rest of the apartment. The room in question is shown in blue, and I also have drawn the couch and the projector to give you an idea how things are set up.

_Noah_ what price range would I be looking at for a decent 7.1 system?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I personally think 7.1 is hard to fit in a 20ft x 20ft room.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatsu /forum/post/15434872

I recently purchased an HK354 to start upgrading my setup. I also have a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector. Now what i'm missing is a decent set of speakers and subwoofer.

Unfortunately I don't exactly know a lot about speakers so I have no idea what I should be looking for.

That's not a whole lot to go on.
Speakers can sound quite different from one another, as anybody will tell you, and it's always best to audition various makes and models yourself to find out what you like. Then people at forums like this one can tell you why you're dead wrong...just kidding
, but it would be helpful to have some idea of what you like first.

Quote:

Whats a good set of 7.1 speakers w. sub to complement my current projector and receiver? My price range is around $1000 for all the speakers and sub, but can perhaps go up to $1500 if that is really necessary to get a good setup.

Your receiver is a pretty non-offensive one in that it'll work well enough with just about any speaker, I think. Your projector has nothing to do with sound, except that perhaps you'd want big sound to go with a big picture. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea of what would sound "big" enough for you while staying within your budget.

If you don't have any particular preferences and just want to make this process easy on yourself rather than shopping around, then given your budget range, perhaps you should consider a system from SVS:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

The sound of these speakers is about as neutral as they come, if there is such a thing, and their quality is good for the price (especially the center, which is the most important speaker in home theater). They're not the most efficient, but your receiver should be adequate unless you want to play movies really, really loud. I would suggest going with the larger 12" subwoofer because of your room size and open layout, which would bring the system cost to $1299 (minus shipping and possible sales tax).

Quote:

I prefer either standing or wall hanging speakers rather than bookshelf, but I am open to pretty much anything.

If you opt for the SVS 7.1 system, all of the speakers can be mounted directly on walls. However, it seems that in the case of your HT, you may need stands or ceiling mounts for the left & right surrounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that perhaps 7.1 is too much given my current room setup and budget restrictions. Im no audiophile... will I feel the difference if I just get a 5.1 setup?

I totally agree with you that listening and shopping around is the best way to go, but unfortunately I'll be buying everything online and having it shipped to my country, so trying stuff out is not an option.

Given the situation the svs system does not seem like a bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.