AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the TiVo Underground Forum, but thought it might be useful here for people thinking of building/upgrading HTPCs. Fry's has a great deal on the new Western Digital 80GB hard drive. The drive is $229 and they are giving a $100 manufacturers rebate if you buy the drive from Fry's. $139 for 80GB is about as good as it gets. The offer ends November 1st.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Although I have no need for a new hard disk, I make this observation:

At pricewatch.com prices, that's only $50 per 80gig drive after rebate. Are rebates included with the drives by the vendors on Pricewatch.com .... One needs to ask; do the rebates apply only to the retail drive, or do they apply to OEM drives as well?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I have a dumb questioin.

I want to add a second drive to my computer for hipix use.

What does bare drive mean.. I seen it listed of price watch

sorry for the foolish question first time add a new hd

-tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
A "bare" drive means that you're going to get exactly that - a hard drive inside a anti-static bag. There aren't going to be instructions, screws, mounting brackets, cables or software.

Bare drives are what large customers usually get in the first place - when someone like a Dell or a Gateway purchases 1000 hard drives they don't want 1000 of everything that comes inside a retail box!

If you were to purchase hard drives in bulk from Maxtor what you'd get is a large carton full of hard drives that are in anti-static bags and inserted into styrofoam cutouts, and so that's what the low-price vendors are selling you.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I don't think any of the Pricewatch drive

prices are eligible for rebates.

Also many of the Pricewatch drives are

"white label" which means you get a shorter

warantee and can't go back to the manufacturer

if the company selling you the drive fails

to accept a return.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.