AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Would the JL 13W7s be a good alternatives to Mal X drivers?

Please give me pros and cons

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maelstrom has way more sd and xmax and is way cheaper. 13W7 is prettier. 13W7 has a lower VAS and might work better in a smaller enclosure. The 13W7 is only a 13.5 inch sub and the Maelstrom is an 18" so there is not a whole lot to compare here. I would take a couple Maelstrom's for the same price as a single 13W7 any day. The other drivers in the same class would be the Sound Splinter RLP-18, Mach 5 IXL 18. A lot of the nice 18's are made by companies that no longer exist.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Yeah, Rlp-18 is your next best bet. Still a very good driver in general, it just costs more than the Mal-x, which is why it doesn't get as much attention as it used to.

For a 15, the SDX-15 is still a viable option.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Actually the RLP 18's are now cheaper than the Mal-X's ($425 plus shipping) assuming the shipping is the same. RLP's have discounted pricing for multiples as well.

Fi Q18 is another option.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
The RLp is a great driver, not to mention Mike is a great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/15579614

Actually the RLP 18's are now cheaper than the Mal-X's ($425 plus shipping) assuming the shipping is the same. RLP's have discounted pricing for multiples as well.

Wait, last I knew the M-X was 375.00 plus around 30ish for shipping. Did the price go up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/15579614

Fi Q18 is another option.

Q18 requires a huge box. IB is a better idea.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Kevin posted over at the shack that the price did indeed go up to $425 on the Maelstrom's.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/15580025

Kevin posted over at the shack that the price did indeed go up to $425 on the Maelstrom's.

Hmm. It looks like the CSS SDX-15 went up a tad also ($10) to 280.00 shipped. Two of those will be around 100 more than a M-X shipped, so that's certainly a viable option.

I do like the twin RLp-18 idea.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
I think we need a M-X vs. rlp18 shootout.

That be fun wouldn't it.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
With my comparisons of the Mal-X and the TC-2000, is it the High BL and inductance of the 2K that took away from the upper bass response... Excuse my ignorance, but Im curious to learn about this particular info.

What gives a driver this better upper bass response.

Does the LMS also suffer from the lack of upper bass, I know it measures very very well, but how about the sound... The TC2K measures very well, but lacks the upper bass.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/15580014

Q18 requires a huge box. IB is a better idea.

It would work in roughly the same size ported box as a Mal-x. The OP never said that he was specifically looking to do small sealed did he?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Ehh, the Q18 can work in a box that also suits the M-X, but ideally, you'd want more than twice the volume due to it's Qts. That also means you can tune real deep, if that's of any interest to anyone...which being the owner of an XXX 18", you're no stranger to.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/15587661

With my comparisons of the Mal-X and the TC-2000, is it the High BL and inductance of the 2K that took away from the upper bass response... Excuse my ignorance, but Im curious to learn about this particular info.

What gives a driver this better upper bass response.

Does the LMS also suffer from the lack of upper bass, I know it measures very very well, but how about the sound... The TC2K measures very well, but lacks the upper bass.

I don't know. I'd speculate that inductive roll-off is a factor. The smaller native inductance (smaller coil) may be a factor but there are too many variables when you are doing simple comparisons between drivers to give you an easy answer. The original Maelstrom had great upper bass performance and I always thought it was just a FR thing. The new Maelstrom's only resemblance to the original is in it's name. Otherwise they are two totally different drivers yet both of them handle upper harmonics and bass lines in the 2nd & 3rd octave really well.

About the only thing I can point to in the measurements, is the extended response due to the low inductance. Your typical high-stroke sub has a ton of inductance. I think the distortion measurements are largely irrelevant as long as they are kept under the threshold of audibility. As long as that is the case, it doesn't matter that one sub has lower THD vs. another. After all, inaudible is inaudible and you don't get extra brownie points for making it twice as inaudible.

I don't pop in here very often but I wanted to correct one more thing before popping out and working on a home improvement project. The Maelstrom isn't $425. That is best explained in the post it was taken from. The current price is $362 and I estimate the next order is going to be higher. I don't know exactly where it will land but $425 would certainly be at the upper limit.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hey Warpdrv, just wanted to know how the TC 2k, TC3k and the Revo sub compare to each other in the spl department. For the upper bass, specially for music, do they all sound the same? Any differences among them? If given one choice, which of those three subs would you take? By the way, great job with those maelstrom subs! Are you going to run them all together or split them apart?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/15588335

Ehh, the Q18 can work in a box that also suits the M-X, but ideally, you'd want more than twice the volume due to it's Qts. That also means you can tune real deep, if that's of any interest to anyone...which being the owner of an XXX 18", you're no stranger to.

Scott can also modify the drivers to a large extent to better optimize them for the intended use.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I tho0ught the rlp 18's were made by TC Sounds - weren't they? If so, how do they still get product?

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Haskins /forum/post/15588356

I don't know. I'd speculate that inductive roll-off is a factor. The smaller native inductance (smaller coil) may be a factor but there are too many variables when you are doing simple comparisons between drivers to give you an easy answer. The original Maelstrom had great upper bass performance and I always thought it was just a FR thing. The new Maelstrom's only resemblance to the original is in it's name. Otherwise they are two totally different drivers yet both of them handle upper harmonics and bass lines in the 2nd & 3rd octave really well.

About the only thing I can point to in the measurements, is the extended response due to the low inductance. Your typical high-stroke sub has a ton of inductance. I think the distortion measurements are largely irrelevant as long as they are kept under the threshold of audibility. As long as that is the case, it doesn't matter that one sub has lower THD vs. another. After all, inaudible is inaudible and you don't get extra brownie points for making it twice as inaudible.

Thanks Kevin for trying to help me understand.... appreciate you stopping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish68 /forum/post/15588371

Hey Warpdrv, just wanted to know how the TC 2k, TC3k and the Revo sub compare to each other in the spl department. For the upper bass, specially for music, do they all sound the same? Any differences among them? If given one choice, which of those three subs would you take? By the way, great job with those maelstrom subs! Are you going to run them all together or split them apart?

I'll answer in my thread...

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire /forum/post/15589129

I tho0ught the rlp 18's were made by TC Sounds - weren't they? If so, how do they still get product?

They have stock from the TC days and are in the process of aquiring more from a new overseas vendor with "the supervision of Thilo".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts