AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building another HTPC since my current one won't support my new 5670 and was wondering if there's anything I should watchout for in purchasing one. Its going to be a client in a server/client setup but will be recording tv. I'll be watching bluray rips, dvd rips, tv, music, netflix, online videos.

Currently I already have:

AM3 810 proc 2.6ghzx4

WD green 1TB drive

ATI HD5670

Avermedia A188 PCIEx1 dual ATSC tuner

500w powersupply

ATX tower case

Im seeing USB3 and SATA6gps and was wondering if this is needed. Is there anything else I should look at in a motherboard?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18248145

Im seeing USB3 and SATA6gps and was wondering if this is needed. Is there anything else I should look at in a motherboard?

Those are both very early in their implementation. It may be hard to find stable mobos with these implemented. Personally, if I had to build now, I would get a more mature mobo that did not have those features.

If you must have USB3 and 6GBSATA (you don't *need* either for the HTPC activities you site) then the new 890G based AM3 boards are the ones that will give you 6BGSATA and USB3. Be aware though that USB3 is not an integrated part of the 890 chipset, so not all 890 based mobos will have the functionality. Look at the specs of the individual board to make sure it offers USB3 support.

-Suntan

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just trying to future proof. sata6 isn't a big deal but USB3 is 10x faster than usb2. That would be nice when USB3 mp3 players and stuff comes out.

I guess the board doesn't matter. I just didn't want to buy a board to realize that i'm missing something or another. This will be my jump into 1080P and want to makesure the board won't give me any trouble with bluray.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
There are being released several AMD 890GX chipset mb with USB 3.0 (NEC) chip (SATA 6Gbps is natively supported by the new southbridge SB850).

- ASRock 890GX Extreme3

- ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (available now)

- GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H (available now)

The GIGABYTE board should be a solid choice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm just going to buy the Gigabyte for my desktop and use the current MSI 790GX-G65 that I have as the HTPC.

Thanks for all your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts