AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few threads lately about powering B&W 804s.

My setup is B&W 804s, B&W CMC2, Velodyne DEQ-12R, Denon 3310ci.

How do these compare with an Emotiva XPA-5 or is anything around $700-$1500 pretty much in the same ballpark?

Rotel RMB-1075

Rotel RMB-1085

Rotel RMB-1095

Rotel RB-1080

NAD T955

Adcom GFA-7605

Adcom GFA-7607

Arcam FMJ P38

Mcintosh 2505

any other recommendations, looking to spend between $800-$1000 on a 5 channel (bi-amp fronts and give the center enough)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Another option is to use the Denon for the surrounds and focus on a quality 2 or 3 channel amp to push the front speakers. Not saying emotiva isn't a quality product but other names to consider are Outlaw, Anthem, NAD, B&K,etc.. You can buy new or look on Audiogon/Ebay and found great deals on used amps. You can easily find a good 2 or 3 channel amp with around 200WPC on Audiogon for under $1000. Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats where i have been looking. So many options.

Right now i want to power my L/R/C with the same amp to get an even sound.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
There are 3 outlaw monoblocks (m200) listed right now for $540 as an example. B&K make 3 channel amps that come up from time to time on Audiogon. Anthem makes the MCA 20 or MCA30 that would fit the bill for 2 or 3 channel. The MCA50 is 5 channel they usually come up around the $1100 price range. Just some options to consider. Then there are the 5 channel amps that are much more common that usuall go right in your quoted price range. Not saying making a decision is easy..as I know I always have trouble making a decision on big purchases. Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at getting something around 200X3 or 200X5.

Right now I am 3.1 but obviously moving to 5.1 eventually. Now I could go 3 channel amp then later add a 2 channel to make it a 5.1.

as for brands, is one better than the other?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The debate about which amp is better is like the discussion of which speakers are better. Some people say there are no difference between amps and others will say there are differences. In general, if you buy a quality amp with enough watts, you should be in great shape. If you buy an NAD, Anthem, Outlaw, Emotiva, Sunfire,etc... you should be set. You might have some personal preference on looks, color, features such as auto on that may end up swaying you one way or another. I have a Denon 4810 receiver with an Anthem amp to drive my left and right speakers and let receiver drive all my other channels.

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwegs99 /forum/post/18159637

thanks Strasse, What did you think of the Emotiva compared to the other brand?

I can't really give any comparisons between amps. I've only owned the XPA-3 (which I have sold to another forum member).

That amp was powerful and dynamic but also had a touch higher noise floor and seemed somewhat more brittle than the internal amps in my Marantz 7001.

Why I went with the Sunfire was to experience a different amp - to see if that brittleness was more a feature of greater resolution with my metal domed tweeters or more a function of the amp. I can't really say until I get the Sunfire in which I expect will be within the week.

I really want to use this experience to learn more about this hobby rather than taking others people's word for it. I've gone through a bunch of headphones trying to match other's opinion to my own preferences.

Also, looking through the options on the thread I linked. The NHT Power 5 and the NAD really stood out as well. I just couldn't find any of those at the moment.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a NHT Power5 and a Rotel RB-1080. Now the NHT is a 5 channel which I can bi-amp my 804s and then use one channel for my CMC2. Now with the Rotel RB-1080, its only a 2 channel, so I could only power my 804s and then use the Denon amp to run the CMC2.

What is better to do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive got the NHT Power5. I use two of the channels to bi-amp the 10" woofers on my front speakers and the other 3 channels for center and rears. Its a cool running amp and sounds pretty nice in conjunction w/the NHT Controller.

Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwegs99 /forum/post/18161491

I found a NHT Power5 and a Rotel RB-1080. Now the NHT is a 5 channel which I can bi-amp my 804s and then use one channel for my CMC2. Now with the Rotel RB-1080, its only a 2 channel, so I could only power my 804s and then use the Denon amp to run the CMC2.

What is better to do?

Unless your focus is highly geared toward 2-channel listening and the Rotel is much cheaper, I would probably go with the NHT just for the added flexibility. And I would play with bi-amping/not bi-amping to see which gave me the most seamless from soundfield. Nothing wrong with leaving 2 channels empty if it sounds better that way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I agree. I found one on AG and emailed for photos.

Eventually ill be adding surrounds so the NHT will be able to run the 5.1 where as if I get the Rotel, I would have to add another amp or so.

BUT

Couldnt I run the front off the Rotel then use the Denon amp for my center?

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwegs99 /forum/post/18161819

Yeah I agree. I found one on AG and emailed for photos.

Eventually ill be adding surrounds so the NHT will be able to run the 5.1 where as if I get the Rotel, I would have to add another amp or so.

BUT

Couldnt I run the front off the Rotel then use the Denon amp for my center?

You defintely could do that. Many people run surrounds off of their receiver and amp the front 2, 3, 5 front channels (in a 7channel set-up).

That said, everytime I spoke with my dealer he kept saying you want the front three amped off the same amp and others kept mentioning going with a 5 channel amp rather than a 3 plus a 2. Not saying either way is better, but that is the feedback I got from multiple sources, maybe just bias but still.

I guess it comes down to whether you just really like the Rotel better or if you think the cool Ice-type power of the NHT will work just as well. Again, I'd go with the NHT, but that's just me and I haven't heard either directly.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im new to this so just trying to grasp everything. Now i have another question to through in the mix.

NAD T955, 100x5

Denon 3310ci, 120x5

NHT Power5, 200x5

Now obviously 200x5>120x5>100x5, but what makes the NHT>NAD>Denon or if it doesnt?

Why should I buy the NHT over the NAD, besides the 200x5. Will the NAD output cleaner sound at higher DB?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cant speak for the Denon or NAD but I can say the NHT puts out a very clear/clean sound at high dbs...relatively speaking to my tastes of course. I wouldnt get too worked up regarding the power ratings...I think rarely do we use the full rating continuously.

Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
While we all love to read and learn on AVS, you have to equate amps to anything else in life. There are different points of view on which amp is best and what enough watts are (i.e. there is no mathematical answer). A well built amp can put out the stated wattage for long periods of time while the amps built into an AV receiver might be able to peak at those numbers but can't do it for long periods of time trying to drive all channels. They just don't have the power supply to do it. Whether you have floor standing speakers and how hard they are to drive also comes into play. My own personal opinion is you probably should target at least 150 WPC if you have floor standers (which I believe you do) as they can handle more power then bookshelf speakers. Nobody is going to be able to come on here and say buy amp "XYZ" and have everybody agree. Everybody has their personal favorites, personal onions on brands, on feature/functionality, on ICE amps versus traditional amps, color,etc....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts