AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to this forum
, I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers around the price of $500, any suggestions? I know PSB image B6, Klipsch RB-61 II, and paradigm mini monitor are decent and fit within my budet.

Also, what else would I need to set up bookshelf speakers? speaker cables and a receiver? What type of receiver do i need? im quite new to this.. Thank you.

·
Registered
29,305 Posts
If you don't have a receiver yet we need to start over. What is your total budget for speakers and receiver?

And what is your main use for this system? 2 channel music home theater use.

1. How big is your room?

2. What's the planned use. Music? Movies? Games? Combo of these?

3. What's your total budget?

4. Do you want a subwoofer?

5. Do you plan to expand to 5.1 or 7.1 later?

6. What devices will you be connecting? Cable/Sat box? Gaming unit? Blu Ray? iPod?

Answer these questions and we can get a better idea of what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Welcome to AVS. If budget is a consideration and since you're new to home theater and audio, I'll suggest the Energy RC-10s for $300. They're fantastic speakers and the $200 savings could be used elsewhere (subwoofer, additional speakers, speaker stands, etc.)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Look to Monoprice.com for all your cabling needs.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your responses. My total budget is around 1000$, and since my room is relatively small, bookshelf speakers would be adequate. they would be primarily used for soft music therefore i dont intend to add in a subwoofer. Also i would like a 5.1 receiver for future-proof.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Kef iQ3 if you can find a used pair, or Kef iQ30 (accessories4less has a pair at $350 plus shipping, est at $80 to Vancouver)

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 /forum/post/20850666

Welcome to AVS. If budget is a consideration and since you're new to home theater and audio, I'll suggest the Energy RC-10s for $300. They're fantastic speakers and the $200 savings could be used elsewhere (subwoofer, additional speakers, speaker stands, etc.)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Look to Monoprice.com for all your cabling needs.

The Energy RC-10 would be a nice option to consider. Unfortunately, Vann's doesn't ship to Canada. Futureshop, the only retailer I'm aware of that still sells Energy Speakers in Canada, doesn't have the RC-10 for sale there anymore, and currently only have the surround speakers from the RC series, the RC-R is available for sale there.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRCANUCK /forum/post/20851152

The Energy RC-10 would be a nice option to consider. Unfortunately, Vann's doesn't ship to Canada. Futureshop, the only retailer I'm aware of that still sells Energy Speakers in Canada, doesn't have the RC-10 for sale there anymore, and currently only have the surround speakers from the RC series, the RC-R is available for sale there.

Well, that blows. OP-any friends in Seattle?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Obento - there really are MANY speakers in this price range, particularly if you are willing to consider clearance, new old stock, or used. It would help if you could characterize the type of sound you like, or better yet - find a local shop to go listen to a few models.

I have a thread from earlier this month on this same subject here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1351666

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you everyone, ive come down to several speakers that i can obtain locally:

- PSB Image B6

- Klipsch RB-51 II

- KEF Q100

- Paradigm Mini Monitor V6

They are all about the same price, which one would be the best for classical music?

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obento /forum/post/20851412

thank you everyone, ive come down to several speakers that i can obtain locally:

- PSB Image B6

- Klipsch RB-51 II

- KEF Q100

They are all about the same price, which one would be the best for classical music?

as for the receiver, will any of these do fine? Most of them are listed as below 100w per channel, however the PSB image b6 for example is listed as 150W.

- pioneer vsx-821-k

- Denon AVR 1612

- Yamaha RXV 471

- Onkyo TX - NR 509

If you have the opportunity, you should personally go listen to the speakers to get a feel of how they would sound to your ears.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRCANUCK /forum/post/20851415

If you have the opportunity, you should personally go listen to the speakers to get a feel of how they would sound to your ears.

i would if i could, but in vancouver different brands are scattered around the city, it is difficult to compare the sound with them apart

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obento /forum/post/20851454

i would if i could, but in vancouver different brands are scattered around the city, it is difficult to compare the sound with them apart

Of course, you can get a feel for the sound of speaker by actually listening to them. It's not an exact science, but your memory should be good enough to get an idea of what speakers sounds better to your ears, while you audition a couple. You can of course buy speakers blindly and hope for the best and order online and/or rely on the opinion of others.

But ultimately, what sound signature you like might not be in tune with what someone else prefers.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obento /forum/post/20851412

- PSB Image B6

- Klipsch RB-51 II

- KEF Q100

I happen to have heard all of these recently

B6: is a very nice speaker, I nearly bought a pair myself (who knows, I still may). Reasonably revealing, balanced, and great with male vocals. I very much enjoyed Led Zeppelin on these. Rear ported.

RB-51 II: I find most of the Klipsch offerings to be a little too directional - if the horn isn't pointed at you, you notice. Fairly sensitive and might be a bit louder at lower volumes than some of the others. Rear ported.

Q100: Auditioned side-by-side with the B6 in the showroom. An interesting design with the coaxial tweeter. Revealing and accurate, but not overly bright. They seemed better with female vocals than the RB6. Front ported. Make a point to listen to these.

MM6: I'd like to spend some more time with these in a better listening room. They tend to sound a little warm - slightly boosted in the lower mids or upper bass. They felt like they played lower than the others, but that might just be the equalization of the xover. Rear ported. Make a point to go listen to these.

Do you plan on being very close to these? Like in a desktop environment, or will you be farther back - >5ft? This does make a difference as some speakers need more space to open up.

Hope that helps a little

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.