AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a studio apartment, and will be having ankle surgery in a couple weeks. It will mean 2 months in a cast. I've been in a similar situation with my ankle before, and know that bathing is difficult, time-consuming, but important to me.

That all said, i want to install some all-weather speakers into my bathroom, so i can keep myself entertained when i'm in there a while, trying to bathe. The dimensions of my bathroom are approximately 5x6 feet, with 8 foot ceilings.

I'm on a budget, and would like to go low cost, definitely under $100 (the lower, the better). I currently use 7 Mirage Omnisats/sub (Generation 1) for the speakers in the main room in my studio. I love those speakers, and i am not expecting quality at quite that level, but i would like something that can still give me decent sound when i'm in there for extended time (including music-filled, romantic nights in the tub with my girlfriend, when this is all over).

So, two questions:

1. What are good options for under $100 speakers (including more expensive speakers, if i can find a good deal on them for under $100)?

2. Suggestions in how to install them (as far as height, separation distance in such a small bathroom, yet with high ceilings)?

I appreciate anyone's input on this. Thanks.

paul

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at those Polk Atrium 45's, per your recommendation, and they seem to be pretty popular. Although it's more than i want to spend, i will still leave it open as a possibility.

BUT.....

Do you think they might be overkill for such a small bathroom? Also, what about the acoustical factor? Outside is a big open area. But my bathroom is a very small, enclosed space, with a slight echo (since they are very few soft things to absorb sound).

I'm not looking to rock out to really loud music. I just want to hear them clearly over some gentle/moderate running bath water, and that awful noise pipes make in very old apartment buildings. I doubt i would ever use them during a full-blown shower. During rehabilitation, i will mostly listen to podcasts and conversation-only stuff, as bathing would take me about 30-40 minutes, and i get bored easily. During a future romantic encounter in the bath, it would be pretty quiet. And if that scenario becomes loud, i doubt we'd be paying much attention to the music anyway.

Polk's website does indicate using their Atrium 45's in a bathroom, but it's just in a passing sentence suggesting other uses.

Perhaps smaller speakers than those Polks would be enough. Although i don't know if there are any quality all-weather speakers that are smaller (like a little larger than the Bose cubes maybe?..but NOT Bose, of course).

Thanks again.

paul

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Matt. Thanks for the idea. A good one, but i guess i should clarify something...

My computer is hooked up to my home theater (about the only benefit of having a tiny studio apartment). Since most of my music, as well as all television access (Hulu), and podcasts will come through my computer, i MUST have speakers that can attach to my home theater, via the Zone II option on my HK receiver.

thanks again.

paul

· Registered
282 Posts
Hey those were one of my first pairs of speakers. They were nice and pretty durable but they need a small space...............like a bathroom, PERFECT. Just a suggestion but I would think that some in ceiling speakers would be low profile and perfect for a bathroom, you might only need one.

· Registered
753 Posts
These work very well in wet and high humidity areas. MTX also offers a clone version of the 612 around $120 per pair or less if you look.
http://www.musicaathome.com/products...SICA612WRM.cfm

MUSICA612WRM - 6-1/2" 2-Way Round Weather Resistant Speaker

The 6.5-inch Weatherproof Speakers are designed for use in larger rooms or even outdoor damp areas.

You won't have to worry about the speaker standing out in the room: The 6.5-inch Weatherproof Speakers are designed to accept all types of interior and exterior paints to match your décor. Spray or roller application should provide excellent results. A paint shield is included to protect the speakers during the painting process.

Have a smaller room that would be suited for this speaker? A single Weatherproof Dual-Coil Speaker is also available and sold separately.

Specifications

Specifications

Manufacturer: Musica

Manufacturer Product No.: 612WRM

UPC: 715442630585

Dimensions: 8.5" diameter

Frequency Response: 64Hz-20kHz ±3dB

Impedance: 8 ohms nominal

Power Handling: 35 watts RMS; 70 watts peak music

Sensitivity (1W/1M): 87dB

Woofer Diameter: 6 1/2" (polypropylene cone)

Tweeter: 1/2" polycarbonate balanced dome

Mounting Depth: 2 5/8"

Depth: 3 1/4"

Cutout Size: 7 5/16" diameter

Maximum Wall Thickness: 1 5/8"

Warranty: 10 years, limited

· Registered
43 Posts
If you don't mind refurb, Harmon has an ebay store where they sell their stuff. You can get the N24s referenced above or the slightly better JBL P36AW 3Way speakers. The P36 usually are going from $70 to $100 from the store which is considerably less than the original price. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions.

I checked out the JBL's from Harman Audio's ebay store. They sounded great at first, until i checked out their specs and saw how large they were. My bathroom is really tiny, and two 14-inch long speakers on a 5-foot wall is nearly half the length of my wall. Even if i change the orientation, the dimensions are just really too large for such a tiny bathroom.

What i finally decided to go with is a set i found on Amazon. They're BIC America Adatto DV52siW indoor/outdoor speakers. They had great reviews on Amazon, and their other speakers seem to be regarded pretty highly for the money. In any case, they're also among the smallest i've found that weren't just crappy off-brand speakers. And the best part? They were $81.65, directly from Amazon, and shipped free. That's far cheaper than any of the other decent speakers i could find.

If the price were the same, i would have bought those Polk Atrium 45's, but ~$50 is a lot to me, so i'd rather pocket the difference. Besides, i already spent $2000 on my HT speakers. This is just for the bathroom, where i'm sure the acoustics are going to suck anyway.

Thanks again everyone. And i'll do my best to post a review once i get them. Maybe i'll be the first to review their use in a tiny bathroom!

paul

· Registered
75 Posts
Hi

I'm thinking of doing something along to the same lines to my bathroom... connecting speakers in it as zone 2. Problem is, my bathroom is kinda small and I'm thinking of using just one of the two speakers. Guess it will not be stereo anymore but supposing I'm ok with the sound, would it damage any electronics?

· Registered
548 Posts
This thread is hilarious to me. Not because the idea of speakers in the bathroom is hilarious, but rather because I just installed a car stereo and a set of JBL Control 1's in my own bathroom.

Little boomboxes just weren't cutting it, and I found the car stereo the other day cleaning out the closet along with the oh so critical 3amp 13.8v inverter I've always had but never really used. Hidden down in one of my cabinets, it's an unoffensive solution.

I don't have much useful to offer other then put 'em up high in the corners. Corners will give you bass from the small speakers, and up high will give you good sound over your shower curtain. Cuz real men rock out in the shower.

Being in such a small room will make them more than loud enough, so traditional focusing isn't really required.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Get one of these RCA (used to be a GE brand) Super Radios, I had one in my bathroom for years, $39.00...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...C1RMD1H8744HYV

Hard to beat. Great FM and sucks the AM stations right in with a huge internal ferrite antenna.

Mike

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i got the speakers hooked up...in fact, just hours before my surgery. In the words of Ernie (of Bert and Ernie) "it makes bath time lots of fun!"

I'm pretty happy with the sound quality. It's nothing like my Mirage's but still decent. I also attribute the poor acoustics to affecting the sound. And like the other poster, i do have them hooked up as my Zone 2 speakers on my HK receiver.

My original plan was to mount them up near the ceiling, then angle them down, but i thought about something during my last stand-up-shower for a while...steam. Steam rises, and there's already years of water damage and cracking paint on the higher walls. But the lower walls do not suffer from this. I can even see the condensation on the top 3 feet of bathroom wall, after only a 10-minute shower (and i don't use water as hot as most people). So, i mounted them about 5 feet up, high enough to be away from water, but low enough that steam/condensation shouldn't affect them much.

So, i'm satisfied. The solution was relatively cheap, and they were easy to install. I wish they came with mounting brackets, but they do have about 5 keyholes, so you can mount them in several different positions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.